Nontraditional School list advice - 525 MCAT, 3.86 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briankim163

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-traditional Re-applicant in his early 30s
Asian Male, GA resident
3.86 sGPA, 3.89 cGPA, 525 MCAT Graduated 10 years ago from WashU with Summa Cum Laude honors
10,000 hours Research at Washu and Yale (Career research scientist) with 10 pubs, 1 x 1st author, 2 x 2nd author, then rest mid-author in journals like Molecular Cancer Therapeutics and Science Translational Medicine
6 poster 3 talks at various Conferences
Clinical Volunteering 180 hours
Shadowing 90 hours
Nonclinical Volunteering 250 hours completed, 250 hours projected
Leadership in Church and during College in student groups
Currently employed as medical scribe (Paid clinical employment 500 hours completed, 1000 hours projected)
LOR from MD I scribe for, Volunteer coordinator, and 2 research faculty I worked with

This is my 4th cycle. (I know, it's a long, long story that I don't want to get into. Every time I applied, I had top-level stats so it was not that). The big change I made between this cycle and previous are: working as a scribe, adding more nonclinical volunteering, and suffice it to say I received toxic advice last cycle from my research mentor who would not write me a LOR unless I wrote my app the way he wanted it, which read like a resume (all the mistakes they tell you NOT to make on primary app). Needless to say, I am no longer working for nor seeking a LOR from that professor.

I have had a history of applying too top heavy and am just SO done with the whole ivory tower thing. I'll probably only apply to maybe 5 of the T20 schools and am only interested in getting an MD degree, not chasing research or prestige. Any schools in particular you can recommend would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There are some AMCAS schools that will only look at your application twice but not 3 or 4 times.
You will need to investigate each school’s webpage to see what their policy is on this.
As a result your school list is likely be very different this time.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
Emory
USF Morsani
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University
Northwestern
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State