Nontraditional student - multiple transcripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurevet_2025

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am hoping for either some experience for those in a similar position or general advice. I am a nontraditional applicant getting read to apply this year. Undergrad for me was quite awhile ago. I transferred during my undergraduate career to move away from home, and get more opportunities offered in the city. In undergrad, I studied psychology and had the intention of pursuing mental health counseling. I decided to pursue veterinary medicine during this time and utilize my MPH as a clinician. This meant that I had to go back to a post-bacc program to complete my prerequisites. Furthermore, in between my MPH and postbacc, I took a couple physiology courses at a local school to aid me in my work as a veterinary technician. I am explaining all of this essentially to say that I have a lot of transcripts that I will be sending in while applying (6 to be exact). While my academic history to me makes sense as I was simply trying to figure out what I wanted to be, I am afraid this will look flaky to admissions counselors. For those of you who have had similar experiences, have you found that admissions counselors are generally positive towards this if it is properly explained? (My grades are strong for all of these, and outside of multiple transcripts, I think I am a strong applicant). My worries is that my circuitous academic route will look flaky, regardless of my explanation and the fact that I received a bachelors, masters, and fulfilled the prereqs along the way. Any advice those of you can offer is much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had I think 6 transcripts total and it didn’t seem to have a negative effect on me. But I graduated with engineering then did my prereqs scattered between 3 schools. I didn’t enroll in degree programs and not finish them, if that makes sense.

But if your grades are strong, I wouldn’t worry about it. I was asked in interviews why vet med and why I’m leaving engineering. Make sure you have a strong answers to these types of questions.

For what it's worth... I was just accepted to A&M with transcripts from 11 different schools.

Some were because, like you, the path I chose at the traditional time ended up being wrong for me.

Most were because of a combination of factors that posed issues in trying to get another bachelor's. All of my math and science credits "expired" (despite having gone through some fairly high level math the first time, I was started back at college algebra when I returned), so I needed way more than the typical number of credits to complete my degree... which meant I had too many credits to be admitted into the program I wanted, had to use Academic Fresh Start to compensate for that, and lost all of my other previous credits. I ended up taking courses at multiple community colleges to get past semester credit limits and average around 25 credits per semester and summer. Some of THOSE were lost when they built a highway through my property, forcing me to move, so in an effort to only move horses and family once, I transferred universities. All told, I finished with 172 credits that my university counted, plus another 40ish that were lost in the transfer process, from 9 different schools. In three years. Add that to the two schools from my "traditional" time, and I'm sure I looked like the epitome of flaky. For good measure, I'd also recieved a vet tech degree at one of the colleges, so all of those CE credits showed up as well.

Granted, I only applied to A&M, but I did speak extensively with Cornell and UGA before starting the application process. It didn't bother anyone. My grades were good, I was taking a lot of hours while also working, and as odd as the pile of transcripts may have looked, my info showed a clear and logical progression from pre-law teenager to pre-vet adult. No one ever asked me about it. I was always the one to bring it up.

Don't sweat it. We don't all follow a clear path from Point A to Point B. Your past experiences make you interesting. Beyond that, they make you valuable. Go with it.

Good luck!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had I think 6 transcripts total and it didn’t seem to have a negative effect on me. But I graduated with engineering then did my prereqs scattered between 3 schools. I didn’t enroll in degree programs and not finish them, if that makes sense.

But if your grades are strong, I wouldn’t worry about it. I was asked in interviews why vet med and why I’m leaving engineering. Make sure you have a strong answers to these types of questions.
Thank you for your response & advice! I'm planning on explaining my decisions through my academic journey, and hoping that is a strong enough answer; I had well thought out intentions during each step of the way, so I am hoping in explaining that, admissions counselors will understand the transition. I appreciate your advice, and sharing your experience. Thank you!

For what it's worth... I was just accepted to A&M with transcripts from 11 different schools.

Some were because, like you, the path I chose at the traditional time ended up being wrong for me.

Most were because of a combination of factors that posed issues in trying to get another bachelor's. All of my math and science credits "expired" (despite having gone through some fairly high level math the first time, I was started back at college algebra when I returned), so I needed way more than the typical number of credits to complete my degree... which meant I had too many credits to be admitted into the program I wanted, had to use Academic Fresh Start to compensate for that, and lost all of my other previous credits. I ended up taking courses at multiple community colleges to get past semester credit limits and average around 25 credits per semester and summer. Some of THOSE were lost when they built a highway through my property, forcing me to move, so in an effort to only move horses and family once, I transferred universities. All told, I finished with 172 credits that my university counted, plus another 40ish that were lost in the transfer process, from 9 different schools. In three years. Add that to the two schools from my "traditional" time, and I'm sure I looked like the epitome of flaky. For good measure, I'd also recieved a vet tech degree at one of the colleges, so all of those CE credits showed up as well.

Granted, I only applied to A&M, but I did speak extensively with Cornell and UGA before starting the application process. It didn't bother anyone. My grades were good, I was taking a lot of hours while also working, and as odd as the pile of transcripts may have looked, my info showed a clear and logical progression from pre-law teenager to pre-vet adult. No one ever asked me about it. I was always the one to bring it up.

Don't sweat it. We don't all follow a clear path from Point A to Point B. Your past experiences make you interesting. Beyond that, they make you valuable. Go with it.

Good luck!
Thank you so much! This makes me feel so much better. I think I often fall into a trap of thinking that many applicants to vet school have such a straight and narrow path to this point, so being a nontraditional with a more unclear path gives me more room for criticism. Hopefully this will be seen as a positive, as I truly do think I gained a lot of extra experiences that will aid me as a future vet, but fall outside of a traditional veterinary role. I appreciate your response - this is helping to ease some of my anxiety. Also, congratulations on the acceptance - that is a wonderful accomplishment. Best of luck in your studies!