Nontraditional student - spotty history

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

syrupdrenchedwaffle

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was not prepared for college out of high school. I studied chemistry and genetics and did very well in the requirement classes but ended up failing out because I didn't focus or attend classes for awhile. I joined the Army and trained with hopes of becoming special forces, but the Army orthopedic surgeon I had a consult with (due to an injury) told me it would be unwise to continue chasing my goal, so I opted for a discharge to continue pursuing the academic goals I immaturely set aside.

I'm currently putting myself through school while working two jobs and am focusing on retaking the courses that are affecting my GPA. I plan on transferring and finishing a bachelors in economics at a four year.

My question is, how much harder will the application process be for me with such a rough academic history? Will it be held against me? Should I go directly into a postdoc after I graduate?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
 
Last edited:
What’s your cumulative GPA and science (BCPM) GPA? That will be a good starting point.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
What’s your cumulative GPA and science (BCPM) GPA? That will be a good starting point.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My current cumulative GPA, not accounting for my current semester grades, is a 2.03. sGPA is around 2.7. I have a plan drafted that has me retaking the prereqs and any classes I've failed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My current cumulative GPA, not accounting for my current semester grades, is a 2.03. sGPA is around 2.7. I have a plan drafted that has me retaking the prereqs and any classes I've failed.
A lot of schools screen for at least a 3.0 - I know VCOM screens for a 3.2 cumulative/science GPA. If you can get both your sGPA and cGPA above a 3.2, you shouldn't be screened out many places.
 
My current cumulative GPA, not accounting for my current semester grades, is a 2.03. sGPA is around 2.7. I have a plan drafted that has me retaking the prereqs and any classes I've failed.

So I don’t have to do the math myself, what’s your GPA with old and new classes? You will have to use these in your calculations, including new grades received (as well as the old ones) for repeated classes. Floor GPA you should apply with us 3.0, but depending on your situation and number of credit hours, I would encourage you to try and raise >3.2. The MSAR is a good resource to use to check out stats on applicants and matriculants across many schools.

Also, you may have come to this conclusion already, but you’ll definitely want to apply DO. Is that something you’ve considered already?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Without a 3.0 most schools will literally never open the application. @Goro has a thread started here title something about reinvention i think that’s worth reading
 
So I don’t have to do the math myself, what’s your GPA with old and new classes? You will have to use these in your calculations, including new grades received (as well as the old ones) for repeated classes. Floor GPA you should apply with us 3.0, but depending on your situation and number of credit hours, I would encourage you to try and raise >3.2. The MSAR is a good resource to use to check out stats on applicants and matriculants across many schools.

Also, you may have come to this conclusion already, but you’ll definitely want to apply DO. Is that something you’ve considered already?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it’s an option I’ll be heavily considering by the time I’m in the proper academic situation that would make me a more competitive applicant.

If I don’t end up retaking some classes I’m looking at right above a 3.2 by the time I get my bachelors, but there’s going to be a mess of classes from earlier semesters that will raise the brightest red flags. I feel like addressing them will be a safer option in the long run.

How does medical school look at retakes? More specifically, excessive retakes. I know it won’t be cheap but I can make the necessary sacrifices.

Without a 3.0 most schools will literally never open the application. @Goro has a thread started here title something about reinvention i think that’s worth reading

I’ve read it; it’s going to be an excellent resource in this uphill battle. I need to get my hands on the MSAR.
 
I was not prepared for college out of high school. I studied chemistry and genetics and did very well in the requirement classes but ended up failing out because I didn't focus or attend classes for awhile. I joined the Army and trained with hopes of becoming special forces, but the Army orthopedic surgeon I had a consult with (due to an injury) told me it would be unwise to continue chasing my goal, so I opted for a discharge to continue pursuing the academic goals I immaturely set aside.

I'm currently putting myself through school while working two jobs and am focusing on retaking the courses that are affecting my GPA. I plan on transferring and finishing a bachelors in economics at a four year.

My question is, how much harder will the application process be for me with such a rough academic history? Will it be held against me? Should I go directly into a postdoc after I graduate?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention
 
Yes, it’s an option I’ll be heavily considering by the time I’m in the proper academic situation that would make me a more competitive applicant.

If I don’t end up retaking some classes I’m looking at right above a 3.2 by the time I get my bachelors, but there’s going to be a mess of classes from earlier semesters that will raise the brightest red flags. I feel like addressing them will be a safer option in the long run.

How does medical school look at retakes? More specifically, excessive retakes. I know it won’t be cheap but I can make the necessary sacrifices.



I’ve read it; it’s going to be an excellent resource in this uphill battle. I need to get my hands on the MSAR.

Before you get ahead of yourself, just focus on being the best applicant you can be which means retaking prereqs you made <C in. I wouldn’t worry about non-prereqs unless you have several D and F scores.

You’ll want to then improve your application by volunteering, shadowing, etc. Let’s not put the cart before the horse just yet. Academic prowess and resiliency is what you need before focusing on anything else.

Many have been in your place and succeeded. It is all about your grit and how badly you want it. It’s not going to happen overnight and may require additional time than you had prepared for. Nose to the grindstone, my friend.

Best of luck to you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
How does medical school look at retakes? More specifically, excessive retakes. I know it won’t be cheap but I can make the necessary sacrifices.
The med school application services do not allow grade replacement, i.e., if you got an F in Course X the first time and then an A on the retake, both grades would factor into your GPA when it was calculated for admissions. This is done in the interest of fairness: first, it removes the effects of differing institutional practices from the equation and puts everyone on the same playing field; and second, it rewards those who got an A the first time through the course.

A second important consideration is that adcoms expect you to get an A on each and every retake. If you didn't get an A the first time through, OK, no one's perfect; but if you couldn't get an A after already having seen the material once before, they start wondering if there's something wrong with your learning processes. In other words, there's no way you can impress adcoms with an A on a retake: an A is their baseline expectation, and anything less is potentially harmful.

Those two facts mean you should not retake courses except in very specific circumstances. First, never retake any course in which you earned a C or better. Second, retake med school prereqs in which you earned a C- or worse. Third, never retake any non-prereq regardless of your initial grade, unless you have to for your major. I've summarized all this here: Simple rules for retaking courses.

Bottom line: be strategic when choosing which courses to retake. Some of them are better left alone.