Nontraditional WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RocuROMANium

Anti-woke progressive
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my disappointing MCAT score today so WAMC for this cycle and what should my school list look like? My wife is pregnant and is due in late August/early September so retaking this year is off the table.

30 y.o. ORM Georgia resident
Low socioeconomic status growing up and 1st generation college student
cGPA: 3.05
sGPA: 3.03
postbac GPA: 4.0 (67 credits in two years)
MCAT: 507 (127,125,128,127)
Clinical Experience: 4,000+ hours as an emergency department tech and other CNA roles
Clinical Volunteering: 307 hours. 212 hours as a phlebotomist at a clinic that serves uninsured patients. Approximately 80-85% of our patients are Spanish-speaking only. Also, I have 105 hours at an orthopaedic clinic.
Nonclinical Volunteering: 33 hours. I helped set up events for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
Research: 350 hours of basic science research
Shadowing: 120 hours shadowing an Orthopaedic surgeon, pediatric hematologist/oncologist, and primary care physician.
Hobbies: My main hobby is woodworking. I like to build indoor and outdoor furniture. I also dabble in poetry, painting, drawing, and music. Basically, I always try to be involved with the arts because I was never exposed to any of it growing up.
Awards: 4 times on the President's List and a small award at the emergency department for quickly responding to an unresponsive patient that resulted in her life being saved.
Leadership: I coordinated schedules and trained new lab members on a variety of techniques. Also, I have trained a handful of new emergency department techs.

Members don't see this ad.

For MD schools your only possible chances are Mercer and Medical College Georgia. Apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
WCU-COM
ATSU-SOMA

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help. You don't think MD schools where I am within their 10th percentile are worth applying to? I know my overall GPA's are not competitive but I did do 2 years of upper level science coursework and achieved a 4.0. How will medical schools look at that?

Thanks for the help. You don't think MD schools where I am within their 10th percentile are worth applying to? I know my overall GPA's are not competitive but I did do 2 years of upper level science coursework and achieved a 4.0. How will medical schools look at that?
I do not see any private OOS schools where your GPA is above the 10th percentile. There are a few OOS public schools that have a 10th percentile near your GPA but they give preference to their own residents . Your best chances will be DO schools.

I do not see any private OOS schools where your GPA is above the 10th percentile. There are a few OOS public schools that have a 10th percentile near your GPA but they give preference to their own residents . Your best chances will be DO schools.
My bad I meant my MCAT score within the 10th percentile but I get your point anyways.