~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
p.s. - where are those brownies, cookies, and cakes everyone was talking about???

:oops: I baked so much in Dec/Jan that I ran out of several baking supplies. I just restocked my pantry yesterday. the grocery store was out of Hershey's cocoa powder (wth?), so I "had to" get Ghirardelli instead.. :love: :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'll turn 32 this month, and start med school this August! I am glad to be where I am. All that has happened to me in life has prepared me for this moment, and I am thankful to be here. My daughter did, however point out that I have "old" eyes....I need some wrinkle help!!! Anyone know of a good eye cream??? Seriously.

I'm 21 years old and have realized through my junior year of college that I want to pursue medicine. So I'll be taking an additional year of non-degree work. I think that sort of sets me apart and puts me on the non-traditional course. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I just turned 30 and the best eye cream Ive ever used is StriVectin-SD, a bit costly but one tube will last you a year!

Cosmetic stores like Sephora or Ulta should carry it. I think I've seen it at Macy's as well. But as long as you're using something, that's the important thing.

And I guess I should mention I plan to be 31 or 32 by the time I start!

I am 24 and will be 26 when I (hopefully) start med school.

The older you are, the sharper you are...and the more selective on what you study for exams....meaning, you have the ability to separate the wheat from the chaff...that is the benefit of being older...but, it takes commitment once you get in...i am enjoying it and glad i made that decision...all you non-trads - don't listen to anyone that tells you are too old to go to medical school. We make the best physicians because we love what we are going to do...good luck everyone applying.

39 y/o divorced mother of 5 (and grandma to 1) anxiously awaiting Match Day and news of where I will be moving the clan which includes the 3 youngest kids, a dog, a bird, two cats and two turtles.

I'm new to the boards. I'm 39. I'll be in my fifties when all is said and done. I haven't even begun my prereqs yet!

I'm married, no kids.

It's so inspiring hearing from you. :clap:

As far as the shindig and my specialty: I make reservations. Seriously, opening a can is more than I want to do in the kitchen. :D My husband is the cook.

Steph

I turned 43 today, but won't be applying for several more years while I finish up my BS and work on more research (I have _plenty_ of field medical experience).

39 y/o divorced mother of 5 (and grandma to 1) anxiously awaiting Match Day and news of where I will be moving the clan which includes the 3 youngest kids, a dog, a bird, two cats and two turtles.

i am not worthy!!! i admire you so much! :)

i am 31 going on 32 btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
23 right now, i'm in my first year undergrad. i have a 4 year old daughter and a deadbeat ex husband, so i have to get my RN first. i'll have my ADN from a community college at the end of fall semester 2009, then i'll move to Denver (i live in Wyoming right now, Denver closest medical school) to work and finish off my humanities credits at a CC while i'm getting my residency. i'm planning on about 5 years for my pre-reqs...putting me at 35 when i graduate from medical school :eek:

Phew...I am really glad to see that I am not too old to be starting this process.

I am 26 (soon to be 27) and finishing up my 2nd year of college. I really hope all this is said and done by the time I am 32/33. Good luck to the rest of you!!!

I'm 22 and will finish pharmacy school in a year. If I'm as lucky as I hope to be then I will be 24 when I start Med school in 2008.

I really extend my heart and hopes to those of you out there with families and still have the passion to go to med school. I know I will probably be in those shoes before I finish residency but good luck to all of you out there and try not to let anything stand in the way of your true dreams...

I am 51 and 11/12 years old. Right now I am an M1 at The University of Nebraska Medical Center and having the time of my life!

wow! this is great !! i am curious how do you pay back medical school loan ?
at what's age are you planning to retire ?

I will turn 24 this April, and this is my first year in the MBBS course

do i count as a non trad? i am 23 right now and will be 24 when i start school hopefully

Today, I was thinking of taking a year off after graduation to have a kid (husband is getting sick of hearing "not a good time, I'll be taking finals or i'll be taking the MCAT at that time" excuses). I'll be 28 next year when I graduate and really want to start med school ASAP. After reading this post, I feel more confident in taking that year off and starting my family. :love:

I am 33 and just accepted to med school. I have 4 kids: 11, 8, 6, and 3. I have a fantastic husband who became a stay-at-home dad so I could acheive my dream!

I am 27 will be 28 when I (hopefully) start this fall :)

I am 29 and will start med school this fall. Feeling older by the day :(
Hopefully the stress in med school won't kill me.

For those that are older, what advice is there to maintain focus and attention/retention in your studies?

I'm 37. A healthy fear of unemployment goes a long way towards getting your started - and a healthy fear of failing out after having wasted two years and accumulated $60,000 in debt will keep you motivated.

I'm 26, look 20. No fiance, but I've been dating this really cute cell bio textbook all semester:)

24 here. I was on the pre-allo forum and was reading "what do adcoms think of applicants under the age of 19?" and I almost spewed my drink out my nose... Unless you're a savant that's been composing Billboard hits since the age of 3... man, can you imagine a 19 year old in med school? I'm glad I've had that time to explore and play and learn and round myself out (no pun intended!) more before applying this year. :p

Wow you all have no idea how much hope this gives me!

I just posted on the regular pre-med forum about this (didn't realize there was a non-trad section!)

I am 24 and a freshman working on prereqs, hopefully will be applying to med schools when I am 28-29. I wondered how that might play out, so this is a huge help! :thumbup:

30 and trying to apply this year. i feel so old. sooo old. not because im 30. but because ill be closer to 40 when im done. O M G .

31 years young and loving it!!! (NOT) wish I would have gotten motivated a little earlier in life, but better late than never. married, two kids 6 and 2 will hopefully be 33 when I'm accepted to med school.

I am 24 and will be starting Medical School in four months.

I finished undergrad at 21 and took some time off (one planned year, two unplanned) to do research.

24 here. I was on the pre-allo forum and was reading "what do adcoms think of applicants under the age of 19?" and I almost spewed my drink out my nose... Unless you're a savant that's been composing Billboard hits since the age of 3... man, can you imagine a 19 year old in med school? I'm glad I've had that time to explore and play and learn and round myself out (no pun intended!) more before applying this year. :p

Four of my classmates started medical school at age 19. They were BS-MD candidates. One had a great deal of difficulty and ended up dropping out of school to join the Army. The other three did quite well and ended up in Internal Medicine, Optho and Neurosurgery. They were very nice folks who were not geniuses but very good high school and college students.

There were also four students over the age of 45 when they started medical school. One failed two courses during freshman year and was dropped but the other three did well and ended up in Family Medicine, Pediatrics and General Surgery (me!). None of us were geniuses but we all were very good high school and college students.

I am a 33 year old pastor who is just now trying to get the dream of being a doctor off the ground.

Just turned 25. I will be spending the next 2 years boosting my GPA, EC, and knocking out my pre-reqs. WOOOH!

36 Will be starting this August

I'm 23, and if all goes well, I'll be starting medical school at 26. The best eye cream is, of course, sunscreen. :)

27 and hopefully starting med school in 2008 or 2009

27 and hopefully starting med school in 2008 (or 2009 if I need a small break)

wow!:D this thread is just a great motivator for me.24 this yr..Just finishd my bachelor degree n hope to b in med school soon..Thanks guys!:thumbup:

I just turned 28 and hope to enter next year, making me 29!!

Being a woman, will I ever have time for a family?!? I'm looking at at least 7 more years if I do the MD/PhD.....36!!!

How do you guys do it with kids?

34, 2 kids, boys 8 and 2 1/2, and starting med school this fall. My husband is an elementary school PE teacher. Doing it with kids is going to be just as hard as working full time and doing my prereqs, or working and going to midwifery school.

I'm 39 and should be 41 when I start med school. Regarding learning, I have to say, I'm toward the end of a fascinating cognitive psych class that's really changed my perspective on how people learn, etc.

Fascinating stuff!

that's what I am thinking, if I continue to be a nurse, i could well end up a unhapy old nurse, or a happy old doc. I choose the latter.

Last edited:
34, 2 kids, boys 8 and 2 1/2, and starting med school this fall. My husband is an elementary school PE teacher. Doing it with kids is going to be just as hard as working full time and doing my prereqs, or working and going to midwifery school.

Yay, midwifery! Did you finish and/or ever practice? I'm a doula, and so far, folks tell me it's a great premed extracurricular.

Hi fellow non-trads. 26 will be 27 when I start in the fall. This thread brings a smile to my face. We can do it!!!

Yay, midwifery! Did you finish and/or ever practice? I'm a doula, and so far, folks tell me it's a great premed extracurricular.

No, I wasn't licensed yet, but I did do 5 four handed catches, and have been to about 50 births. I have done some private doula work, too. I think it was fantastic for premed. I got lots of clinical experience, learned phlebotomy, and learned I could sleep little and be under pressure and still function - somewhat!

Is being in your early 20's really non-traditional? Not trying to start anything but, when I think non-traditional, I'm thinking someone who has had another career, and is choosing to go to medicine, as a second career, or after having a family for a bit. Not someone who takes a year or two off after undergrad to work/travel/be a bum/sleep or didn't get in the first time or even second time.

Anyways 33 y/o, I'm in my first year of medical school. I have 3 children at ages of 6, 4, and 2. Oh yea another on the way next November. Now THAT's non-traditional!

GL to you all

:D

I have a similar problem. I'm doing an informal post bacc and my classmates (~20/21) do not believe I'm 28. I had one guy exclaim my driver's license was surely a fake after I tried to prove my age.

Sorry - I think these kinds of comments are funny. The same thing happens to me and I do the same. I go along with it and lie about my age - of course I did that at 23. Why do we do this? The number doesn't matter. It really doesn't. I was really stupid from pretty much 13-25. Of course, facials, botox, etc. could help if people start guessing correctly? I suggest a constant assessment by a carnie at the county fair!

Good luck to all of you! I close relative is graduating from med school this year at 29. He has not had a real job (has been taking post bacc classes and finding himself since graduation). He has a 6 year residency and will be 35 when he finishes - but he has had no outside life experience and is in so much debt. Maybe I am wrong, but I think that it would be better to have a little living under my belt before commiting to something so huge. He asks me if I think he will like it - at this rate, he has too or he will be in debtor's prison.
;)

I'm 24 right now and will be 25-26 on matriculation, depending on how many pre-requisites I have to take. I feel like I'm quite lucky to be as young as I still am when I decided I didn't like the line of work I was in, but still count myself as non trad since I'm out of school when first decided to be pre-med, and take MCATs, my school had no health advising ability and I also am 2-3 years seperated from proffesors to write LORs.

I'm 24 right now and will be 25-26 on matriculation, depending on how many pre-requisites I have to take. I feel like I'm quite lucky to be as young as I still am when I decided I didn't like the line of work I was in, but still count myself as non trad since I'm out of school when first decided to be pre-med, and take MCATs, my school had no health advising ability and I also am 2-3 years seperated from proffesors to write LORs.

I had problems with LORs too. I was luckily able to use a peer letter and letters from the midwifery program at which I trained. Maybe you could shadow a doctor once a week for a month or so, and get letters from him or her and the team at the office?

27, will turn 29 shortly after starting my first year of medical school. I have a B.S. in Biological Sciences/pre-med, but wasn't accepted to any schools when I first applied in 2002. I am now the single mom of a 14-month and working full-time. I recently started studying for the MCAT and feel like its the first day of class. I will apply for the class of 2012.