Nontrads starting med school in the fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tess

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are class threads on another forum but would love to know where NonTrads specifically are headed. I am attending TUCOM Mare Island. If this type of thread for NonTrads already exists my apologies.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of DOs so far. Just goes to show that DO schools really give nontrads a shot!

I'll be attending UWSOM in Seattle.

Loma Linda University Class of 2011. 27 years old and ready to begin my medical career. For the past 3 years, was overseas in Japan and English teaching science and ESL. Go LLUSOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loma Linda University Class of 2011. 27 years old and ready to begin my medical career. For the past 3 years, was overseas in Japan and English teaching science and ESL. Go LLUSOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where were you at in Japan? I was a CIR in Okinawa then lived in Osaka for five years. Those were the best years of my life without a doubt.

I'll be attending :love: University of South Florida College of Medicine (USF COM), Class of 2011! :love:
COM.jpg

I'm still in shock, not quite believing that I'm actually going to medical school this coming August. It's a little hard to belive that it was only 3 years ago I decided to re-embark on this journey, and I'll be 36 years old as an M1! :eek::)

Summary
1995 B.S. Chemistry, GPA = 3.1, BCMP = 2.9, all pre-reqs done except for Biochemistry
2004 Begin volunteering at hospital
2005 Begin Post Baccalaureate (Took one class over summer, Anatomy, then full-time in fall)
2006 April MCAT 33 (10V/10P/13B/N) [Up 5 points from prior MCAT from 10+ years ago]
2006 Apply to Medical School, GPA 3.33, BCMP 3.2(Post Bacc full-time, upper-division sciences, GPA=4.0)
2007 MS0

Don't let age get in the way as you can make it with the proper planning (which I couldn't have done without my partner and my awesome pre-med advisor) and a lot of hard work.

Where were you at in Japan? I was a CIR in Okinawa then lived in Osaka for five years. Those were the best years of my life without a doubt.

I was in Yamaguchi-ken for 1 year and then in Tokyo for another as well as a few months in Nagano and Gunma. So you passed level 1 Japanese proficiency test? I'm studying for level 2 now. Also learning Portuguese at the same time since my gf is from Brazil. After those, learn CHinese after med school..send me a private message and let's exchange emails and talk more about Japan and med school!!! Take care, good luck in med school!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent a year living in Kyoto. I attended Kyoto University of Foreign Studies. I concur, that this was the best year of my life. Moreover, I'm using my year in Japan as jumping off point in my personal statement. I figure if I can go to Japan w/no prior language experience, hardly any $$, not knowing anyone, and surviving just fine on my own, then I KNOW I can make it in medical school. Now, all I have to di is convince the adcoms.

28y/o going to UMASS

Any of you guys hop over to Seoul while in Japan?

28y/o going to UMASS

Any of you guys hop over to Seoul while in Japan?

Seoul was fun but not really a whole lot different from Japan. Kinda like crossing Tokyo with Chicago. Good place to get really cheap glasses.

University at Buffalo:)

MSU-CHM (and broker than all of you combined when I'm done!)

(Sorry, UMass, you had your chances... :( )

Last edited:
Boston University :) Still pinching myself at times

I spent a year living in Kyoto. I attended Kyoto University of Foreign Studies. I concur, that this was the best year of my life. Moreover, I'm using my year in Japan as jumping off point in my personal statement. I figure if I can go to Japan w/no prior language experience, hardly any $$, not knowing anyone, and surviving just fine on my own, then I KNOW I can make it in medical school. Now, all I have to di is convince the adcoms.

yes, I agree with your point about if you can survive in Japan, you can do med school. I inserted that line of rhetoric into my PS. Seemed to work since I'm going to an allopathic school this fall. Good luck my friend. By the way, how is your Japanese now?

Wake Forest. I guess I need to change my screen name since now I won't be a doctor one day in the distant future, but rather in the very foreseeable future!

CCOM!! MS1 at 40.

The George Washington University - class of 2011 :)

Umdnj-som

My sincere congratulations.

Now perhaps we could all celebrate by having your avatar changed. I realize its a free country. First amendment and so forth. But for god's sake my boy, its revolting.

Wow, there is a TON of Japanese influence - way more than I would have thought. I was a CIR in Akita-ken, also I studied in Kyoto (Doshisha University) for a year as an undergrad. I'm now a second year at an Allo school as well - I'd love to chat with you guys about Japan as well :love:

Wow, there is a TON of Japanese influence - way more than I would have thought. I was a CIR in Akita-ken, also I studied in Kyoto (Doshisha University) for a year as an undergrad. I'm now a second year at an Allo school as well - I'd love to chat with you guys about Japan as well :love:

Yeah, it is pretty surprising. I have heard that almost everyone who does JET leaves the program with a different, or at least altered, life goal.

Check your PM

Baylor College of Medicine, yay!

Seoul was fun but not really a whole lot different from Japan. Kinda like crossing Tokyo with Chicago. Good place to get really cheap glasses.

I spent a few weeks in Korea, but Seoul was my least favorite city there. Perhaps that was because the cab from the airport was propane powered...and actually smelled like propane. He was driving like a maniac and I really thought we were going to die (he kept falling asleep).

My favorite cities were Waegwan and Daegu.

Oh and I am going to Mayo.

Heading to University of Texas HSC San Antonio

UMDNJ-NJMS! MS1 at age 37! Yea!!! I still can't believe it! :D

NSUCOM class of 2011, and I am 34, mom to two kids. I started this journey (post bacc of all the science prereqs after an art degree) more than nine years ago, before I had my first son. Whew!

I am so excited. I feel like I am bragging whenever I tell anyone I am going to medical school.

Congrats everybody!

University of Vermont, though still waiting on a decision from UC Davis...

35 and heading to VCU/MCV, unless I'm moved off the wait list at Jefferson. Also accepted at PCOM.

As a sidenote...on the VCU chat room 72 incoming MS1 students have already introduced themselves. Of those who gave their age, 15 students are 25 or over, broken down as follows:

25 y.o. = 5 students
26 y.o. = 3 students
27 y.o. = 2 students
29 y.o. = 1 student
31 y.o. = 1 student
35 y.o. = 1 student
39 y.o. = 2 students

With over half the class still left to introduce themselves, I'm very excited about the non-trad population at VCU. I'm very surprised that I'm not going to be the oldest in the class. Plus I went to a financial aid seminar there last week, and even the young'uns are pretty down to earth and easy to get along with.

I would suggest to all non-trads that they consider applying to VCU.

UCSD -- woo-hoo!!!! :love:

At the second look weekend there were a lot of younger folks (fresh out of undergrad), but I met some really cool non-trads. Yay!

Ohio State University College of Medicine.

That's a mouthful :)

I am 35 and will be when I start at USC's Keck SOM this August. I always felt shame about not finishing college so I went back to school when I was 28. I didn't know what I wanted to do, but I knew I needed to go back to school and finish. Eventually, I decided on medicine and all my instructors (community college, gettin my feet wet) told me I was too old. I transferred to 'SC and was encouraged to pursue my dream.

I earned my B.S. and threw in a simultaneous MPH for good measure. I graduated in May on three waitlists....including Keck's. Got the call from Keck on June 13th. That same morning I took my mom to the ER, she was having an episode of tachycardia and was in afib. She converted, I went home, and got the call...what a mixed day. Mom's fine, she's out, and she is proud as hell. My partner works at Keck, and we are so happy we didn't have to move.

My numbers were average. My intangibles were...nontraditional. My ECs were terrific, and my PS was, IMHO, inspired.

It is very very very possible to get into medical school as a nontrad with a tainted academic past. For me, it was possible to get into my first choice.

Horray! And good luck to the lurking nontrads looking for hope and inspiration!

I'll be attending :love: University of South Florida College of Medicine (USF COM), Class of 2011! :love:
COM.jpg

I'm still in shock, not quite believing that I'm actually going to medical school this coming August. It's a little hard to belive that it was only 3 years ago I decided to re-embark on this journey, and I'll be 36 years old as an M1! :eek::)

Go Bulls!
I will be attending USF as well. I am 27 and have been working as a nurse for a while.
USF rocks.

COM.jpg

I guess I missed this thread a while ago, found out in March so, I'm just in that endless waiting for the first day!

I am entering at 31 after too many years working with computers (boo computers). I've been in Tampa for the last threre years working on my Chemical Engineering degree.

university of cincinnati college of medicine

it's neat to see how many different places people are going to! :)

University of Maryland School of Medicine

Johns Hopkins, very pumped (and a little nervous) to be going back to school full-time.

Learss79, we're going to be neighbors! We should start a Geezer Med Student support group of Greater Baltimore--I was glad to see a few other non-trads in my entering class, so I won't be the only one who attended college during the Clinton Administration

Aww, I bet most of us have started med school by now... *sniff* memories...

My school seems to start later than many others (???), and our orientation week starts next Monday. Hence, this is my last week of work. And to be honest, I'm kind of freaked out by that! I'm really excited to start med school and am totally grateful for this opportunity, but it feels SO WEIRD that I won't be a working person anymore.

Does anyone else have (or did you have) this feeling? I'm 32 and for the first time in something like 15 years I won't be working to support myself. I've come to terms with the amount of debt I'm going to have, so it's not that... I think it's just that being a "worker" has been such a part of my identity for so long that I'm scared to give it up to be a full time student again, or something.

Anyway, am I just being a weirdo? Well, I know that I am a weirdo by nature, but is this feeling of... (regret? loss? anxiety?) about quitting my job normal? :oops:

I'm 34 and I feel the same way. I'm starting in 3 days after I've been working for 11years full time. I have a lot of questions that come to my mind. Is it a good choice, what next? I must recodnize that I'm a bit scared. I have a secure job with a lot of advantages and some day I wonder... Anyway, I keep looking forward even if it's hard...

Med school is what I've been thinking about for so long...