noobie misconceptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeetKuneDo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Man, seeing the high school sdn got me back to thinking about when I was in high school. Back in high school, I didn't know jack about the process of applying and stuff; in fact, I believe after seeing my cousin become a radiologist, I actually decided, "I want go to college and major in radiology." Good times. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

:smack::claps::annoyed:

I think I once thought that there was more than paperwork.

Whoops.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least you thought you had to go to college first, I assumed you went straight from high school to med school. If you look at my posting history you can see some extremely embarassing threads that I have made back before I started lol.

back in high school i was unsure about what career i wanted eventually. the only thing i did know was, anything BUT medicine

back in high school i was unsure about what career i wanted eventually. the only thing i did know was, anything BUT medicine

word. At my highschool we were led to believe that if you didn't take AP Bio, Calc, Chem, and physics you were not getting in to med school (all regents classes for me biotch!)

My favorite was the 10+ people in my dorm freshman year who said they were majoring in cardiology.

I remember back in high school believing that people who made it into medical school got As on everything they handed in, played a musical instrument or two, and spoke at least three other languages...... and they never swore..... little did I know:rofl:.

Even through the first couple years of college, I thought med school meant 8 years of classroom, college-style school. That's the main reason I wasn't interested in medicine until late in college.

Even through the first couple years of college, I thought med school meant 8 years of classroom, college-style school. That's the main reason I wasn't interested in medicine until late in college.

Yeah, same here. I actually didn't know what med school and residency were until after I graduated! Hence my post-bac status...

I thought that I knew I wanted to be a doctor.

There is no way in hell a high schooler can know that. Even now I'm still exploring and working through my decision.

I thought getting in would be easy. Then I had GenChem 1, with some 2500 other students--- and my professor told me that only 10% would make it through orgo2.

He was wrong. Only 105 did. Of those 105, how many do you think went into professional fields? Yup.

I knew I wanted to be a doctor in High School. Granted that was just last year...

Members don't see this ad :)
When I began college I thought, "Doctor? eff that...", and watched all my friends go through the premed gauntlet and drop out. Now I'M starting med school this summer :eek:

ob/gyn? so you are double majoring i guess?

i thought internship was done during 4th year of med school.:D

I'll second that! I thought I was gonna be die-hard business person going to work on a stronger-than-ever Wall Street! ... who had the last laugh this time ? :D:D

Honestly one of my bigger misconceptions was from freshman year in College, when I assumed the freshmen pre-meds represented the type of student in med school; neurotic, self-centered, memorization reliant, dependent on grades and simple scholastic achievement as a means of relating to the world around them and lacking perspective of life much beyond their lofty perceptions of their own goals.

In truth those people only represent 30-50 percent of people in med school.:D

In all honesty, though, when I got to med school I was happily surprised to find the majority of my class mates were actually really mature and balanced people. Sure there's some truth in the stereotypes but on the whole I am Really happy to be surrounded by my peers.

My favorite was how early on in my freshman year, it seemed like 50% of the people in my dorm were "pre-med."

I found it amusing how pre-med students didn't think it mattered very much how they performed in courses away from the institution that would be granting their Bachelor's degree because after all "only the credit transfers, not the grade."

At one point, I thought you could go to medical school right after high school, because my parents from a foreign country did.

In highschool, I thought I was going in for a PhD in computer engineering.:roflcopter:

I was pre-med for roughly the first week of my freshman year, then I switched to engineering when I found out the MCAT was required. All of the fraternity guys rushing me told me horror stories so I thought it would be impossible for me-a crappy standardized tester-to pull an acceptable score.

3.5 years later I realized it's what I really wanted to do :rolleyes:. Oh, well. At least I had fun along the way.

I definitely came in to my undergrad as an English Ed major. What was I thinking? :D

Also, I TAed for an introductory bio course at my university. On the first day, the professor asked how many were pre-med. 3/4 of the 120 students raised their hand. Let's just say, that didn't last long.

I had a couple of misconceptions. I remember thinking that playing two sports in college would give me some lee-way in my GPA, at least i tried convincing myself that :bang: I also thought that because I could do well on the SAT without studying the same would be true for the MCAT.

I also thought that double-majoring would impress the adcoms, oops. :smack:

Needless to say, the advice on SDN has done a lot for me.

I had a couple of misconceptions. I remember thinking that playing two sports in college would give me some lee-way in my GPA, at least i tried convincing myself that :bang: I also thought that because I could do well on the SAT without studying the same would be true for the MCAT.

I also thought that double-majoring would impress the adcoms, oops. :smack:

Needless to say, the advice on SDN has done a lot for me.

my SAT studying/final score actually did correlate exactly with my MCAT studying/final score. I was quite surprised.

And I sure hope playing two sports on a NCAA level and not intramurals, would give some lee way in terms of GPA.

my SAT studying/final score actually did correlate exactly with my MCAT studying/final score. I was quite surprised.

That's funny...now that I think of it, mine did too! Weird...

And I sure hope playing two sports on a NCAA level and not intramurals, would give some lee way in terms of GPA.

Well, my MCAT practice scores/final score were accurate my last time through. The first time I really didn't know what I was doing in terms of MCAT prep and only took one practice test.

It wasn't intramurals, lol. I had a couple of different adcoms tell me that sports wouldn't boost how my grades were viewed. It could be looked at differently by other people though.

I remember when it was cool to be pre-med...for the orientation week before classes began. After that, we were treated like the bottom of the barrel for 2 years or so, or at least until we made it past organic.

I remember when it was cool to be pre-med...for the orientation week before classes began. After that, we were treated like the bottom of the barrel for 2 years or so, or at least until we made it past organic.

I get that now.

:(

In highschool, I thought I was going in for a PhD in computer engineering.:roflcopter:

I wish I could go back and work my math and programming. I'd be a double major in Computer engineering and Electrical.

CSE + EE = Iron man.

besides med school, did anyone else think college was gonna be like all about partying? like something out of the asher roth song - get laid like thrice a day, etc. and clubs/bars - they are so low key compared to the ones in movies/tv shows.

ended up studying on saturday nights like the ponybreeder person

My favorite was how early on in my freshman year, it seemed like 50% of the people in my dorm were "pre-med."

I noticed in freshman year that everyone was premed, and everyone was going to triple-major and double-minor. For me it was journalism-French-computer science, and I was going to operate my own online magazine based in France or something.

damn journalism french com sci would be amazing. i could go for that now. wish i could go back!

besides med school, did anyone else think college was gonna be like all about partying? like something out of the asher roth song - get laid like thrice a day, etc. and clubs/bars - they are so low key compared to the ones in movies/tv shows.
That wasn't your college experience? :confused:

my biggest misconception was that I was so smart that I practically had an acceptance to med school out of high school and college was just a waste of my time before I could go be a doctor.

that lead to bad grades and 3 application cycles.

The talk around our high school was who was going to major in "premed."

Looking back I now know how naive we were. LOL :D

Look at the bright side, engineering classes probably thought you how to think conceptually and not just memorize. i've seen this in tons of engineers and I've seen that they always do well on the MCAT.

It definitely helped on the MCAT. I also have a pretty good backup if I don't get into medical school, so I'm happy overall. It's just taking me longer to apply.

I watched so much Dateline and 20/20 about college that this was my impression. I thought I'd be tempted by keggers and wenches at every corner. Sadly, this was not the case :(

I thought I'd be tempted by keggers and wenches at every corner. Sadly, this was not the case :(

University of Kentucky, stay in the dorms. It was the case. And... it was awesome.