Normal Urinalysis, Still F/U Gram Stain and Culture?

Started by Llenroc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where I'm training now, they insist that you order U/A, U/C, and Gram stain as "urine studies" on anyone with a suspected UTI simultaneously.

If the U/A is completely normal, is there any need to followup the Gram stain and culture? I guess my question is, are there some pathogens that might show up on the Gram stain or culture but which might yield a completely normal U/A?
 
Where I'm training now, they insist that you order U/A, U/C, and Gram stain as "urine studies" on anyone with a suspected UTI simultaneously.

If the U/A is completely normal, is there any need to followup the Gram stain and culture? I guess my question is, are there some pathogens that might show up on the Gram stain or culture but which might yield a completely normal U/A?

It's unlikely, but you have to follow up any test you order.