North Carolina Pharmacy Technician Scope of Practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the North Carolina statute that states that a Certified Technician may receive oral, non controlled prescriptions from a provider (via phone)? I have found the statutes that say I am allowed to receive and provide transfers of non controlled prescriptions, but I cannot seem to find anything which states I can receive oral prescriptions. Also, does anyone know of any outline of a Certified Technician's scope of practice in North Carolina? I've combed through as much statute as I can find on the Board of Pharmacy website and have only found a couple paragraphs that don't go into much detail?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Dd3

Members don't see this ad.

i actually applaud you for deciding to go to pharmacy school when you've been reminded countless times that it is heavily saturated and you will struggle to find a job afterward. definitely will have to relocate to find work even with a residency. you must really love pharmacy, congratulations

i actually applaud you for deciding to go to pharmacy school when you've been reminded countless times that it is heavily saturated and you will struggle to find a job afterward. definitely will have to relocate to find work even with a residency. you must really love pharmacy, congratulations
Thank you. I'm fine with relocating and I genuinely do love what I do (even if it sounds corny).

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the North Carolina statute that states that a Certified Technician may receive oral, non controlled prescriptions from a provider (via phone)? I have found the statutes that say I am allowed to receive and provide transfers of non controlled prescriptions, but I cannot seem to find anything which states I can receive oral prescriptions. Also, does anyone know of any outline of a Certified Technician's scope of practice in North Carolina? I've combed through as much statute as I can find on the Board of Pharmacy website and have only found a couple paragraphs that don't go into much detail?
Thanks for any help you can provide!
Dd3
I was shocked when an NC tech tried to give me a transfer, once. LOL.

I still made them give me the pharmacist

I was shocked when an NC tech tried to give me a transfer, once. LOL.

I still made them give me the pharmacist
Yeah, haha, I do them all the time. I've never transferred anything out of state though, so I'm not sure how that would work. Just for CYA reasons I would've done as you said though and get the pharmacist. The thing is in NC only certified techs can, but there are of course some who like to sideskirt the law unfortunately. I'm the only filling tech in my pharmacy who is certified.

In Missouri techs can do transfers in state and non-controlled. As far as I know. I feel like taking a new script is another story...

In Missouri techs can do transfers in state and non-controlled. As far as I know. I feel like taking a new script is another story...
I have made sure to ask every pharmacist I've worked with so far and all of them have said it is within our scope of practice to do, I just can't find any legal code or anything which outright says it is legal. Just want to double check if I can.