North Texas weather

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The boy might be a victim simply due to his age, if this person was older who the hell sits around and freezes to death? You on the other hand come across as an arrogant Texan. You don't live in a cold climate but reject what others who do say. All I know is my homes were a nice 68 degrees inside even when it was -23 outside. If the power went out I would still be toasty.
Where did I reject what the cold climate experts said? I simply stated what I directly observed during the storm; that the roads weren't the problem.

Your point is well-taken, at least by me, but wasn't it Ted Cruz who said Texans would prefer to go without power than accept any government regulations?
Thank you. While I think Ted Cruz is a clown, he's not wrong. Some Texans would prefer that, but I think most people see the need for balance and realize that some regulation is necessary. I think it's also worth mentioning that the vast majority of Texans had no idea what regulated vs deregulated really meant prior to the storm. Even people who did know, thought the competition was saving them money and had no idea the potential consequences.
I am torn. It is objectively awful to charge exuberate rates during an emergency. But Texas is all about personal responsibility, right? Those customers didn't have to choose a wholesale variety-rate plan. That was the risk they choose when they picked that plan. They wanted the lower rates and they choose the risk of spikes when they did that. That's the problem with giving people choices - they choose wrong and then want to be bailed out.

But price-gouging is still price gouging. I mean who could predict over a 1000% increase in rates? Those wholesale rates should never have been allowed to begin with. Raising the prices didn't increase supply, after all, the suppliers didn't need additional motivation to increase supply. It was entirely a production issue, not a demand issue.
I agree, those people are responsible for choosing those plans. I actually know a handful of people who were Griddy customers and they understood perfectly how it worked, they just never imagined the kind of price spike that they got slapped with. They also don't feel like the company took advantage of them as seems to be the national narrative.

My understanding is that the wholesale price was allowed to "increase per demand" in order to incentivize more producers to come online. I'm obviously not in the power generation business but it sounds like there is some breakeven point where it wasn't profitable for some plants to run due to the extreme cold. Because it's a competitive model, if it's not economical for them to generate power, no one will make them. So they cranked the price up to lure in more producers, then there were gas supply issues out of the Permian and it really hit the fan. So in a sense, the Griddy customers that had power got caught in the cross-fire.
 
Where did I reject what the cold climate experts said? I simply stated what I directly observed during the storm; that the roads weren't the problem.


Thank you. While I think Ted Cruz is a clown, he's not wrong. Some Texans would prefer that, but I think most people see the need for balance and realize that some regulation is necessary. I think it's also worth mentioning that the vast majority of Texans had no idea what regulated vs deregulated really meant prior to the storm. Even people who did know, thought the competition was saving them money and had no idea the potential consequences.

I agree, those people are responsible for choosing those plans. I actually know a handful of people who were Griddy customers and they understood perfectly how it worked, they just never imagined the kind of price spike that they got slapped with. They also don't feel like the company took advantage of them as seems to be the national narrative.

My understanding is that the wholesale price was allowed to "increase per demand" in order to incentivize more producers to come online. I'm obviously not in the power generation business but it sounds like there is some breakeven point where it wasn't profitable for some plants to run due to the extreme cold. Because it's a competitive model, if it's not economical for them to generate power, no one will make them. So they cranked the price up to lure in more producers, then there were gas supply issues out of the Permian and it really hit the fan. So in a sense, the Griddy customers that had power got caught in the cross-fire.
You directly complain about people criticizing Texans. Hating to be exact. Who do you think created this problem? Texans. Millions of people live in this cold weather year after year without widespread problems. But Texas has a new reason to be embarrassed the governor ending the mask mandate before the pandemic is over.
 
You directly complain about people criticizing Texans. Hating to be exact. Who do you think created this problem? Texans. Millions of people live in this cold weather year after year without widespread problems. But Texas has a new reason to be embarrassed the governor ending the mask mandate before the pandemic is over.
No, I took objection to your mocking of the loss of life during the winter storm and the notion that they deserved it. The operators of the power grid absolutely deserve criticism and they're getting from Texans as well. It's also hilarious that you're concerned about the mask mandate, but freezing to death or dying in pileups is fine. Also. When you separate. Your points like this. I can't understand your. Points.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, I took objection to your mocking of the loss of life during the winter storm and the notion that they deserved it. The operators of the power grid absolutely deserve criticism and they're getting from Texans as well. It's also hilarious that you're concerned about the mask mandate, but freezing to death or dying in pileups is fine. Also. When you separate. Your points like this. I can't understand your. Points.
I can honestly say no one has ever told me i was confusing. What i am criticizing is the arrogant attitude Texans display that they are better than everywhere. Hasn't Texas considered forming its own country? But don't talk about what happened as a tragedy because it was unpredictable or uncontrollable because this storm like winter was predictable.
 
I can honestly say no one has ever told me i was confusing. What i am criticizing is the arrogant attitude Texans display that they are better than everywhere. Hasn't Texas considered forming its own country? But don't talk about what happened as a tragedy because it was unpredictable or uncontrollable because this storm like winter was predictable.
Honestly it sounds like you just hate people from Texas and came here to throw mud. Keep your prejudice if you like (against Texans), I don't really care. But downplaying the severity of the storm just makes you seem ignorant. Before calling it "predictable an controllable" you might want to read up on typical winter weather conditions in Texas. During Uri, all 254 counties were under a winter storm warning for the first time ever. Houston saw its coldest temps in 30 years, DFW the coldest in 70 years.
 
Honestly it sounds like you just hate people from Texas and came here to throw mud. Keep your prejudice if you like (against Texans), I don't really care. But downplaying the severity of the storm just makes you seem ignorant. Before calling it "predictable an controllable" you might want to read up on typical winter weather conditions in Texas. During Uri, all 254 counties were under a winter storm warning for the first time ever. Houston saw its coldest temps in 30 years, DFW the coldest in 70 years.
Now we are communicating but hate is too strong a term I would call it more like disdain.
 
Honestly it sounds like you just hate people from Texas and came here to throw mud. Keep your prejudice if you like (against Texans), I don't really care. But downplaying the severity of the storm just makes you seem ignorant. Before calling it "predictable an controllable" you might want to read up on typical winter weather conditions in Texas. During Uri, all 254 counties were under a winter storm warning for the first time ever. Houston saw its coldest temps in 30 years, DFW the coldest in 70 years.
Haha. Why even bother responding to him? Just leave it alone. It's not like his opinion is going to matter on how we do things here in Texas lol.
 
Haha. Why even bother responding to him? Just leave it alone. It's not like his opinion is going to matter on how we do things here in Texas lol.
Correct. I like the South in general beautiful women, friendly folks, great fishing and hunting, and phenomenal food. Just not Texas. But don't suffer at my opinion you certainly don't need my support to validate your lifestyle.