Northeast Residencies and Clerkships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podsquad94

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a second-year DPM student, and I'm trying to get more information on residency programs in the Northeast (specifically, New York, New Jersey, and Boston). Is there any current information online or on SDN (besides the general info on CASPR/CRIP) that someone can point me to?

I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning to visit programs this year before I apply for externships and would love more insight to narrow the search!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm a few years out but a couple of good programs (or were good programs 4-5 years ago).

New York Methodist (they have a different residency director now, but it was (is?) a solid program) I know quite a few graduates from there, all comfortable with the OR, management of patients pre/periop, and they do good work.

Virtua in new jersey is also a solid program, they used to have an attending there Dr. Ramondo, orthopedist, who the pods did cases with. Again, solid program, but Ramondo retired, which means the program took a hit in terms of types of cases they are doing.

New York Queens - buddy of mine did this program, good program, but 4 yrs long. Good trauma exposure from what I gathered.

If you can swing midwest, Dr Hussein broke off from DMC, and runs his own program now. Dude is solid. Good training there.

Programs to Avoid:

Emily Cook's in Boston, the "harvard" one.

Reactions: 1 users
My advice on NYC programs is that there is one, maybe 2 quality programs. Charles Lombardi is a no frills and ethical director. Most of the other programs in NYC are run by doctors who having Medicaid mills as clinics and provide extremely low quality work with no regards for patients. I’ve reviewed a ridiculous amount of lawsuits from these programs.

Hey, I'm a few years out but a couple of good programs (or were good programs 4-5 years ago).

New York Methodist (they have a different residency director now, but it was (is?) a solid program) I know quite a few graduates from there, all comfortable with the OR, management of patients pre/periop, and they do good work.

Virtua in new jersey is also a solid program, they used to have an attending there Dr. Ramondo, orthopedist, who the pods did cases with. Again, solid program, but Ramondo retired, which means the program took a hit in terms of types of cases they are doing.

New York Queens - buddy of mine did this program, good program, but 4 yrs long. Good trauma exposure from what I gathered.

If you can swing midwest, Dr Hussein broke off from DMC, and runs his own program now. Dude is solid. Good training there.

Programs to Avoid:

Emily Cook's in Boston, the "harvard" one.

I love you quoted the Mt. Auburn program as the “Harvard” one. The attendings there loved shoving that down all the clerks throats. At one point I wanted to go there but I’m glad I went and trained at the program I ended up with. It prepared me well for the type of podiatry political BS I deal with on a daily basis with the orthopedists at my hospital. I’ve got the skill to back up my mouth that chirps an awful lot but they bang out total joints that PAY so they will always have the CEOs ear no matter how much more volume I see in clinic which is very respectable

Reactions: 1 users