Northeastern CO-OPS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leumas8

Accepted MD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At Northeastern, you can take up to three coops. If I want to make myself the most competitive candidate for medical school, should I fill these coops with three research positions?

Members don't see this ad.

Research is good, but try to do something clinical if you can! I have a friend at Northeastern who is working at the Perkins School for the Deaf and Blind--awesome. I also met a Northeastern premed who did a random co-op at like a zoo or something...

As cliche as it sounds, just do what you like.. if you like research and want to go to a medical school that places a heavy value on research then do research. If you aren't that interested in that sort of thing then find something different where you're working in a hospital or in some other medical setting. Or just do something completely irrelevant that has nothing to do with medicine and enjoy yourself. Whatever floats your boat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it would hurt to do at least one co op in research though, just to show that you've explored it. But I don't think it's necessary to do all three of your co op's in research if it's not something you enjoy.

At Northeastern, you can take up to three coops. If I want to make myself the most competitive candidate for medical school, should I fill these coops with three research positions?

I did one co-op in research and another was a clinical co-op in an ED. Do what you want though, you can get some pretty good and unique work experiences with the co-op program.

Also, realize, if you are applying to a research co-op outside your major, you might be stuck in the co-op that no one else wanted.

hey, more huskies, that's awesome!
i was wondering something similar, as i'm applying for co-op right now. i already work in a lab on campus, so i'd love to do something clinical. my advisor "opened" the nursing co-ops to me, and they all seem awesome, but i doubt i'd get any of them.

As a Northeastern alumni, I think it'd be best to do a mix of research and possibly clinical co-ops. I only did one co-op but it incorporated both of these aspects so it left me with flexibility on what I wanted to stress on interviews and in personal statements. Good luck!

hey, more huskies, that's awesome!
i was wondering something similar, as i'm applying for co-op right now. i already work in a lab on campus, so i'd love to do something clinical. my advisor "opened" the nursing co-ops to me, and they all seem awesome, but i doubt i'd get any of them.

I got a nursing co-op despite being in the College of Arts and Sciences, but I also had an EMT-B certification when I applied. Definitely possible though!