Northeastern University Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arresteddev

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new here (although have been a lurker for quite a while), so please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong location. I was hoping that some Northeastern University students could give me some help in regards to co-op.

I'll be going on co-op for the first time next spring. I was wondering what would be an ideal choice for my first co-op: research based or clinical based.

I currently have about 1.5 semesters (started on Halloween of this past fall) in a faculty lab doing basic biochemistry/molecular biology techniques. My GPA is currently a 3.605 cumulative. Science GPA is just below that. I believe a 3.57 or 3.59. Anyway, I don't have many extracurricular activities outside of my research. In all honesty, it consumed a lot of my time.

This summer I'm trying to get some clinical experience, but I'm running into difficulties with that. Apparently people are reluctant to allow somebody to give up their free time to help sick people. If I can't get any clinical hours this summer, I plan to try to volunteer at MGH in the fall (although I'm going to try for that when their next volunteering orientation opens up on May 31st). I'm a lifeguard, so I also hold CPR, first aid, and oxygen/AED certifications. Will be working at a local pool for the second year (started work there in the beginning of September 2010) this summer.

ANDDDD....sorry for so many questions...if I were to raise my GPA to a 3.7 this upcoming semester and maintain/continue raising it plus get some clinical experience, do you think that I might have a shot at the Tufts Early Admittance Program?

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I'm new here (although have been a lurker for quite a while), so please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong location. I was hoping that some Northeastern University students could give me some help in regards to co-op.

I'll be going on co-op for the first time next spring. I was wondering what would be an ideal choice for my first co-op: research based or clinical based.

I currently have about 1.5 semesters (started on Halloween of this past fall) in a faculty lab doing basic biochemistry/molecular biology techniques. My GPA is currently a 3.605 cumulative. Science GPA is just below that. I believe a 3.57 or 3.59. Anyway, I don't have many extracurricular activities outside of my research. In all honesty, it consumed a lot of my time.

This summer I'm trying to get some clinical experience, but I'm running into difficulties with that. Apparently people are reluctant to allow somebody to give up their free time to help sick people. If I can't get any clinical hours this summer, I plan to try to volunteer at MGH in the fall (although I'm going to try for that when their next volunteering orientation opens up on May 31st). I'm a lifeguard, so I also hold CPR, first aid, and oxygen/AED certifications. Will be working at a local pool for the second year (started work there in the beginning of September 2010) this summer.

ANDDDD....sorry for so many questions...if I were to raise my GPA to a 3.7 this upcoming semester and maintain/continue raising it plus get some clinical experience, do you think that I might have a shot at the Tufts Early Admittance Program?

Thanks for all the help, guys!

.... ehhh... Maybe, but don't bank on it. Your GPA isn't that spectacular and if you lack the ECs it may be rough. You're not competitive for Toledo's early admittance (as of right now, but I don't know your ACT), so I can't imagine you being competitive for tuft's. But who knows, give it a shot and tell us how it goes.

Last edited:
In terms of clinical volunteering, have you checked down at Brighams or Children's? It's a short ride down the green line!

I haven't checked either yet. I tried for Boston Medical Center halfway through my freshman year (this past year), but after sending in all of my LORs, resume, and whatever else they required, I didn't hear back from them. I only got an email from the volunteering coordinator saying that she got my stuff. I'll definitely check out Children's and Brighams!