Northshore Univ. Hosp, Manhasset

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckplay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is #1 on my ROL. Anyone else besides me think this program is awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

I got my #1 NYU/North Shore! Anyone going to North Shore in July? I'm trying to recall the details of the program.

I was told at the interview the salary starting in July 03 will be $47,800 and $1,800 housing stipend if they can not offer you an on-campus apartment (pretty nice housing). I don't remember if meals are free anytime (or just when on call). Generally, schedule is not bad, facility is 2nd to none, support staff is excellent and has great attitude (this is one of my pet peeves).

Don't remember what is expected on the weekends.

They have a huge research facility on campus and I got the impression during the interview that there were ample opportunities for clinical and bench research. However, the scutwork.com review rate research as so-so. I wonder how easy it is to get into research projects.

Fellowship opps? From what I've heard, it appears not to be an issue. They have fellowships and gives preference to their own grads. Rep is good enough to get outside fellowships.

If my impression of the program is true, for my needs, it's the perfect program. Pleasant place to work. Many niceties make residency bearable. Will become a competent internist without being overworked. Substantial chance of getting a fellowship. It's like having your cake and eating it too. (I hope).

If you know about this program, PLEASE comment.

It's a great program. The hospital is a strong hospital. The only down side I found was that it is 100% private...no service patients at all. But a classmate of mine and I were talking about where we should rank them because we both really liked it there. I struggled because I was at LIJ for CCU, which is their sister hospital (same system, same fellowships); I chose LIJ since I really got great vibes when I was there (residents were extremely satisfied with it) and I made some friends. But it was tough...my classmate didn't apply to LIJ....I think he just didn't know the program. I matched LIJ and he's going to North Shore. They were my #2, so I thought it was a great place. Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
LIJ has non-private patients? Thought their patient pop was similar to NSUH.

Though I'm glad I matched at NSUH, I wish I had done a rotation there before ranking them #1. Also wish I had applied to LIJ.

The only downside is that this program is a little bigger than I would have liked. I was looking for a smaller more intimate program. Oh well, can't have everything.

Yeah, LIJ has service patients as well as privates. The population is actually a bit more inner city-like. North Shore, mostly due to location, serves a high proportion of the wealthy, though not all. LIJ seems to have more of a reach into Queens and surrounding areas.
You matched at a great place. I think North Shore is awesome; it is a little on the big side but as you said, you can't have everything. Every program has something or other that could be better (otherwise watch out, if it seems perfect...someone's lying!) I think you'll like the facilities, too; if it exists, North Shore has it...probably 2 of them! No money shortage in that place. Plus now LIJ residents can rotate there, and NSUH residents can rotate at LIJ...so you we can get a flavor of each others' programs. Are you going to take their housing?

Absolutely.

The availability of housing on campus was one of the major reasons I picked NSUH. I will prolly save 30 min - 1 hour in commute time per day.

Does LIJ have on campus housing?

"NYC...the best place on earth"

SF Bay area use the same slogan.

They do have housing, but I don't think I'll take it. I've heard that you must move in very close to starting work. Plus, there are a couple of places in Queens I'd really like to live, so I am gonna try that.