Northwestern Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PPM2008

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

It's my first time posting here. I wanted to get your opinion on the current situation at Northwestern prior to submitting my final rank list. I'm really torn. I absolutely loved the program, but my program director said that given the issues with the Chair getting fired and given the interim-chair being radiologist that the program was not in the best position and I should consider not ranking it. Is this something I should be worried about affecting the residency program and resident education?

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I also talked to one of my mentors and he said similar things as your PD. There seemed to be too much uncertainty with this program including the chair situation, multiple faculty members leaving, being on accreditation with warning, and former threads on the "the real northwestern anesthesia" that made me avoid it. Also they have a reputation of being a work-horse program. I would also be interested on getting others thoughts. Especially as to why they are on accreditation with warning?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

It's my first time posting here. I wanted to get your opinion on the current situation at Northwestern prior to submitting my final rank list. I'm really torn. I absolutely loved the program, but my program director said that given the issues with the Chair getting fired and given the interim-chair being radiologist that the program was not in the best position and I should consider not ranking it. Is this something I should be worried about affecting the residency program and resident education?

Thanks ahead of time for your input.
The concern over the interim chair being a radiologist is a red herring in my opinion. Yes, he is a radiologist, but he was hired -- temporarily -- to right the ship because he is the VP of Clinical Affairs at Northwestern, which, according to the information they passed on during the interview day, meant he had the connections to get the department the butt load of money it needed to hire/re-hire CRNAs to minimize the resident burden (the reason they got dinged by ACGME was for issues with education vs. work balance if I remember correctly) and bring in a world class, permanent Chair to replace Dr. Stock.

There might be other issues of concern, but the radiologist thing is no big deal to me. Disclaimer - I am neither a Northwestern student nor resident. Nor am I intending on ranking their program at the top of my list.

Any thoughts on how NW compares with U of Chicago?

Any thoughts on how NW compares with U of Chicago?
I would probably go with NW between the two even with the problems given the better name, location and overall clinical volume/training.

Last edited:
What are the juicy details behind this story?
There has to be some fantastic story there.
It's also very strange that their faculty is so weak that it lacks enough depth to appoint one of them as an interim Chair. The penthouse office crew could offer them all the same support, money, authority, etc. to right the ship. It sounds extremely shady and appears they want to take over the department and actively manage how it is redesigned. That's never a good thing. Unless it was unbelievably mismanaged for a long time. I wonder if they were a private practice style model that is now coming into the fold as a hospital employee model against their will. That would explain the sudden departure of the Chair before they hired a replacement. I saw that in the .mil when the Department Chair refused to allow independent CRNA practice and he was replaced by the Admiral overnight.

Well, I just scrolled through their resident list and there is not a single D.O. listed. When I rotated through Children's Memorial in Chicago, the place was crawling with osteopaths. I guess this means things are getting more competetive.

Well, I just scrolled through their resident list and there is not a single D.O. listed. When I rotated through Children's Memorial in Chicago, the place was crawling with osteopaths. I guess this means things are getting more competetive.
They must all be foreign grads now. :D