1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Northwestern: "Distinguishable Characteristics"

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Looque, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Northwestern's secondary application poses three essay questions, one of which asks for the applicant to describe the distinguishable characteristics (non-academic) they possess and how they will be of benefit in a career in medicine. Overall, it's a decently fun prompt.

Among a couple other personal traits, I'm strongly moved to briefly discuss my sleep/wake pattern in that I frankly don't have one. I require very little sleep and sleep sporadically. In my four years of college, I'm sure I've had about 200 instances where I didn't sleep in a given 24 hour period, not to mention regular all-nighters (and a couple semesters when I operated on a straight nocturnal schedule). Neither my body nor mind show any signs of suffering from the utter lack of a schedule (otherwise I would obviously change my habits). As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the most beneficial traits a person can have for getting through medical school and residency, and later, as an on-call physician. However, I'm concerned that it would come off to the committee as strange and irresponsible, especially if I described it in this detail.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Ha...I actually said "unresponsible." Wow.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CavalierMD

CavalierMD Secondary Stalker 4-Lyf!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'd say this completely depends on your writing ability. If you can convey this with a little humor behind it while still keeping with the formal nature of med school essays in general, I think it could be a really brilliant essay. As far as seeming irresponsible... I don't really think it is... I mean, adcoms know we're college kids and do college kid things... and if your GPA is solid and you're healthy, who cares? To cover all your bases... you could even spin it an aknowledge that you realize your habits may have to change as you get older... just to show that you're not just another silly college kid... Good Luck, man.

4. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My morbid obesity is overshadowed only by my distinct body odor which has been described, in print, as "a cross between rotten chicken and the kind of urine you have after drinking Mountain Dew". This will serve me well in emergency medicine. My patients will not feel self conscious irregardless of how poor their hygiene is. I will be able to draw their attention away from their own problems... they will focus solely on me and my repugnant stench. That will allow me to build a rapport and address their problems.

5. Bubblehead-to-MD

Bubblehead-to-MD Emergency Blow!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I about lost it when I read this! :laugh:

6. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's a good idea if you use the right tone.

Also, can you share what the LOR requirements? Like, what sort of info do we have to fill out about the writers, and what is the deadline? Thanks.

7. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    From the time Northwestern contacts you and grants you access to the secondary application, you have two weeks to finish and submit the application, and three weeks for them to receive your letters of recommendation.

Instructions to give to the individuals writing your letters are here, though a committee letter would pretty much take care of it. However, on the application, there is no area where you need to enter information about those writing the letters on your behalf.

8. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks! Just one last question, did NU send you your secondary when you were verified, or only after they saw an application was being processed? In other words, does the 2-3 week deadline start post-verificaton or before?