Northwestern (Feinberg) vs. UMich

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csk803

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides the following things, these schools are about equivalent in my mind. Still waiting on financial aid and scholarships from both schools, but not sure if I would qualify for either?

Feinberg
Pros
- large urban environment
- Close to family, friends, SO (quite important to me)
- Interested in matching in chicago
- Was my first choice going into the cycle

Cons
- cost of living
- Less prestige? - possible interests in academic medicine

Michigan
Pros
- slightly higher ranking
- Favorite interview day
- Flexible 3rd year

Cons
- less job opportunities for SO
- Further from family and friends
- Living in a college town
- 1 year preclinical curriculum - seems stressful

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad.

Just my two cents, Northwestern is very prestigious, nobody will see you and say "no thanks, I want a doctor who graduated from UMich." It seems to me you'll be much happier in Chicago anyways. Support from family and a SO should not be underestimated and so is lifestyle while in medical school. If living in a big city and having a two year pre-clinical are important things for you and your mental health, I say go for Northwestern. I hope you get a good scholarship to offset the higher cost of living too!

Reactions: 9 users
Northwestern x1000

They are seen as the same prestige (look at historical data) and your support system is there and you’ll by far be able to make better connections to Chicago

be smart. Choose northwestern

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Late but I agree with Northwestern based on your own pro/con list. It might be a more difficult choice if you actually liked the 1 year preclinical (which seems like something fairly distinctive/important), but it seems like it’s just ranking that’s pulling you toward UMich.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Northwestern is also a renowned research school and located in a major city which I think is a huge plus. But Michigan’s 1 year curriculum.........:bow:

Hi --

I am a student at Northwestern / Feinberg, so I just wanted to take a moment and respond with an admittedly biased perspective but one that at least has the weight of some experience behind it. First off, you are dealing with what we like to call a "first world problem." These are both excellent medical centers with fantastic faculty and world-class facilities. You really can not make a wrong decision. I interviewed at Michigan and wound up going to Northwestern for medical school and I really think very highly of both places.

To address some of your questions:
Prestige: Obviously I am biased here but I really do not think there is any difference between the two medical schools in terms of prestige. That being said I want to emphasize that prestige really matters when it comes to the residency selection process, but if these are the two schools you are looking at then you really do not need to worry. If you think of medical school from a practical standpoint the goal is to match into a residency that corresponds with your desired specialty (first and foremost) and match into the program that attracts you. To that end most of my classmates have received interviews to incredibly prestigious programs in a variety of medical specialties. Yes, there are a few people each year that are unhappy with where they match at Northwestern and there are a few that are simply told not to apply into __________ (Dermatology, Plastic Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, ect.). That being said the people that do utilize the career counseling at Northwestern are very happy with the interviews they have received and the majority of classes in years passed matched into competitive programs all across the country in a variety of specialties. If you are from the Midwest and think you might want to stay there for residency both names -- Michigan and Northwestern -- will help out when you turn in your residency application. I would not worry too much about this.

Cost of Living: Yes, there is no doubt Ann Arbor is less expensive than Chicago. However, if you look at housing carefully you might be surprised at how close the cost of living really is. You do not need a car in Chicago, and if you move away from the medical school just a few miles and endure the "hardship" of a 20-30 minute commute you really only pay a few hundred more per month for housing in Chicago. If you factor in the cost of owning a car that narrows the gap even further. By the way, Northwestern tuition includes access to public transportation year-round.

Flexible Third Year: I can not speak to Michigan's schedule and if you liked it that is great, but I will say that there is a ton of flexibility at Northwestern during your 3rd and 4th years. They essentially give you about 4 months off and you can use them whenever you like -- during third or fourth year. Also, if you do research during your third or fourth year, which about 95% of students do, they give you credit for this and they are very lenient on the hours you have to work. Most students do clinical research using their laptop while on the interview trail. A few hours in a Starbucks here, a couple of days spent back in Chicago working with your advisor, and you have a paper under your belt and 2-6 weeks of research credit. Michigan's curriculum may be more flexible than Northwestern's but I can assure you the Northwestern curriculum is more flexible than most medical schools.

Large Urban Environment: You will definitely treat many underserved patients and you will definitely see some things in the ED or on acute care surgery that you would not see in a rural setting if you go to Northwestern. That being said the volume of gunshots, stab wounds, and even car accidents has really diminished since the University of Chicago (also a great school) opened its level one trauma center. If trauma excites you you can always do an away rotation at Cook County hospital during your M4 year wether you go to Northwestern or Michigan.

Friends and Family: I do not care who you are, if you are reading this post never underestimate the importance of a social network outside of the medical school. I do not think taking the train or driving between Ann Arbor and Chicago would be an enormous barrier, but I will say that medical school is very, very difficult and you having a friend that you can talk to about something other than the internal medicine shelf or step 1 is a real asset.

I hope this helps. There is a lot of misinformation out there about Northwestern which is why I wanted to respond to your post. Yes, it is not a perfect place by any means but some of the things I have read online are just false. It does not have a cut-throat culture although every medical school has a few "gunners." The patient population is not all rich people pulling into the hospital in their Maseratis although there are some patients who fit that description. The faculty and the residents are, for the most part, very nice and supportive although there are always a few egotistical jerks in any academic medical center. The facilities are absolutely amazing. That being said I think all of this is probably true for Michigan as well. For anyone making a decision like this I will say go with your gut and if the school offers a "second look" take them up on that. Also, take everything you read on Student Doctor Network with a grain of salt. That includes this post!

Best of luck.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Thanks everyone for your input. Seems like I should go with my gut and choose Feinberg. Fingers crossed for financial aid!

Reactions: 2 users
Well I think the Lamborghini Aventador is definitely sportier, but they’re still on the 2019 model. Plus I like that the Ferrari 488 spider is a little less flashy.

Congrats dude. Don’t think too hard. Enjoy it.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I go to Michigan, it was my dream school/#1 choice. It's the best medical school in the country.

You should go to Northwestern.

Congrats on an incredible cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
Now that Step 1 is pass/fail, do we think ranking matters more within T20 (like feinberg vs michigan) or is it still about the same?

Now that Step 1 is pass/fail, do we think ranking matters more within T20 (like feinberg vs michigan) or is it still about the same?

Is there an appreciable difference in ranking between the two??

Reactions: 3 users
Ranking is all that matters now go to Michigan pretty pls !¡!¡

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Is there an appreciable difference in ranking between the two??

Not really based of usnwr but the last time I checked PD rankings Michigan was 5 and Northwestern was 16. I don’t suppose this is a significant difference given OP’s other reasons for wanting to be in Chicago, but was wondering in general if people think PD rankings will be more relevant now.

• Wow
Not really based of usnwr but the last time I checked PD rankings Michigan was 5 and Northwestern was 16. I don’t suppose this is a significant difference given OP’s other reasons for wanting to be in Chicago, but was wondering in general if people think PD rankings will be more relevant now.

I’m much less familiar with the PD rankings. Do you know if that actually carries weight in residency matching? Or is it some arbitrary value that is prone to fluctuation? Also curious how PD rankings would be taken into consideration given the STEP1 P/F:eek:

I’m much less familiar with the PD rankings. Do you know if that actually carries weight in residency matching? Or is it some arbitrary value that is prone to fluctuation? Also curious how PD rankings would be taken into consideration given the STEP1 P/F:eek:

Tbh I’m not really sure...People are saying that now that step 1 is p/f PD rankings will be more important but I’m not exactly sure why that would be...

Tbh I’m not really sure...People are saying that now that step 1 is p/f PD rankings will be more important but I’m not exactly sure why that would be...

It supposedly represents what people, who are in charge of selecting you for residency, think. If one of the major "objective" ways to stratify applicants is rendered useless (Which the can is just gonna be kicked to Step 2 CK, so idk what all the hubbub is about tbh) then it matters more what Program directors subjectively think about your school and the quality of student it typically supplies

Also, the Step 1 meteor isn't much of an issue to either program you're considering. Both are well know T20 programs (Some consider UMichigan a T10) so I wouldn't factor this change into your decision @ OPT (T5/T25/Everyone else)

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly I think the more important thing now, especially since these schools are relatively equal in prestige, is to take shortened pre-clinical into account even more than before. Starting clinical rotations earlier gives you more time for aways, research, Step 2, all of which now have become monumentally more important, before applying to residency.

Regarding the USNWR reputation rankings, while in the midst of the choosing mode a couple of years ago, I copied a WaPo article in which a med school dean was quoted: "Because none of us can fairly score all of our peer institutions, more than two-thirds of medical school deans and an even higher percentage of residency program directors toss the survey in the trash." If you look at USNWR's "methodology" this year they didn't even show their response rate for PDs, and said that a school's ranking would be included if it received as few as 10 mentions over the past 3 years - Really???? There are lots of good things to consider in this thread, but PD rep per USNWR isn't one of them.