Northwestern MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prophage

QTZ fo' sho
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know when Northwestern starts making decisions (other than the few that have been made.) Last year they started giving acceptances in early February, but on their website it looks like there is a 5th interview week scheduled in middle/late February.

Members don't see this ad.

From what they told us during the interview, I thought it was rolling so they take a few after each interview/during each committee meeting with the applicants from the previous interview still in the pool. i interviewed in october and they told us that their committee would meet the following week, and that a few of us could expect to hear. but i didn't hear back until december.. so i suppose that means i rolled over into the next session.

I also suspect that it depends on what the people who have been accepted decide. When someone accepted declines the offer, perhaps the next acceptance goes out..

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding was that they would send out a few (2-3) acceptances in December, and then wait until after their last interview session to make the rest of the decisions. After those acceptances are sent out, they would waitlist everyone else and then send out additional acceptances as the accepted people declined. If there is a 5th interview session, then decisions would probably be made after that one in late February. I think its really interesting that we all interviewed there and have slightly different understandings of what we were told.

Well, it's March now! I'm getting pretty anxious. When do you think we'll hear back?

I e-mailed them and they said they will be making more offers once they hear from those who are deciding.

I got an email today saying that I was named to the "Alternate List". Apparently offers have already been made and they will only make more offers once people decline.

The Northwestern MSTP Second Look is April 12-14. Perhaps some people will not show or decide afterwards that the program is not for them. That might provide some alternate list movement. Otherwise, May 15 would be the key date.

I got the same 'alternate list' email today. Would really like to get an offer in time for the second look to make a better-informed decision by May 15, if that's possible ... perhaps I'm asking for too much, because wow, I'm really thrilled to still be considered! Do all the non-accepted receive the 'alternate' email, or are there any flat-out rejections?

Hey, just saw this thread. I don't know how many people are waitlisted each year, but there was a lot of waitlist movement last year. I got in off the waitlist after a few weeks, and many of my peers in the program were swaitlisted too. I would highly suggest writing a letter and e-mailing it to Dr. Engman expresing your interest if you are seriously considering Northwestern. They really factor your interest in when they make decision. I think the committee meets about once per month to reconsider candidates, so you won't necessarily have to wait until May to hear like at many other schools. Good luck to those still waiting to hear.