Northwestern Second Look Weekend - Impressions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWuStar

YUM
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't able to attend northwestern's second look weekend, but i would love to hear impressions from any of you who did. thanks! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I was hammered on Thursday night, skipped all the morning events on Friday, went to the Cubs game on Friday afternoon, blacked out at Vision on Friday night, and barely stumbled into the Saturday finaid presentation. And i'm 99% sure i'm there next year...

You should be kicking yourself for missing the weekend!

wow. you sound crazy. glad to hear it was so fun. :p

anyone else? perhaps someone who made it to some of the actual events/activities? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
The events were fine. Pretty standard stuff that you would expect at a second look weekend. Financial aid presentations, activities fair, etc. It got boring at a certain point, as expected. I liked the M4 panel. They gave some good insights, and this one guy was pretty hilarious. I didn't get to go out with the med students unfortunately, so someone else would be better off commenting on that.

As far as the students at the second look, they seemed pretty nice. It's really hard to gauge in so brief a time, especially since I didn't get to go out with them at night to see them in a social setting.

Oh, also, the M1's were incredibly nice and helpful. I was very encouraged by how open and honest they were.

P.S. I've decided to live in Lake Shore Plaza next year. Anyone else thinking of living there?

CUMD,

Damn man, where the hell were you all weekend? I was surprised at how uptight/shy/reserved/unfriendly a lot of the students there were. Half didn't know if they were going, while a bunch just were kinda bleh.

Here's hoping it was just butterflies but I know a bunch of the m1's felt the same way too.

Regardless, I had a good time so we'll have to hook up next year bro. BTW, I'm jealous you got to go to the madness that was the Cubs game on friday afternoon... I missed the last two innings. Musta been nuts.

WuStar, no worries. The few events I went to were pretty bland. You didnt' miss anything vital. The weekend was pretty much just to get people acquainted.

Hey,

You thought they were unfriendly? Why is that? I thought I met some pretty nice people there, although some seemed to lack social skills.

Auricae said:
Hey,

You thought they were unfriendly? Why is that? I thought I met some pretty nice people there, although some seemed to lack social skills.

I think it was the 'lack of social skills' part that just threw me for a loop. I mean, don't get me wrong, there were quite a few nice people. I was just expecting more enthusiasm and " Raa Raa" attitude from the people there.

And yea, I'm leaning towards Onterie and Lake Shore Plaza. The Plaza was a great building but they can't guarantee anything yet in terms of prices and availability and Onterie was just a sure thing so far.

Auricae said:
P.S. I've decided to live in Lake Shore Plaza next year. Anyone else thinking of living there?

i'll split the referral fee with u if u use me as a referral! :D

i need to make up the money i spent on alcohol this past weekend.

StrngoutAS said:
I think it was the 'lack of social skills' part that just threw me for a loop. I mean, don't get me wrong, there were quite a few nice people. I was just expecting more enthusiasm and " Raa Raa" attitude from the people there.

I think that part of the problem was that so many people were unsure as to whether they were going or not. I'm guessing it will be more "raa raa" during orientation, when everybody is definitely going. Hopefully the more anal-retentive socially stunted people will choose to go elsewhere :thumbup:

UCLAMAN said:
i'll split the referral fee with u if u use me as a referral! :D

i need to make up the money i spent on alcohol this past weekend.

You best be saving up for Round 3. THis was just the preseason.

Auricae said:
I think that part of the problem was that so many people were unsure as to whether they were going or not. I'm guessing it will be more "raa raa" during orientation, when everybody is definitely going. Hopefully the more anal-retentive socially stunted people will choose to go elsewhere :thumbup:
The irony is that NOrthwestern places so much emphasis on the Panel interview, which supposedly screen out people who don't interact too well in a small group setting (Overly dominating/assertive or passive).

But if many people choose to go elsewhere, I'll probably have a chance to get off the waitlist :D

StrngoutAS said:
And yea, I'm leaning towards Onterie and Lake Shore Plaza. The Plaza was a great building but they can't guarantee anything yet in terms of prices and availability and Onterie was just a sure thing so far.

are these 2 buildings right downtown by the school? i think i am going to live in wrigleyville or something like that. the rents are a little lower there, no? i'm bringing along a boyfriend and a dog, so we need a little more space for not too much money.

DrWuStar said:
are these 2 buildings right downtown by the school? i think i am going to live in wrigleyville or something like that. the rents are a little lower there, no? i'm bringing along a boyfriend and a dog, so we need a little more space for not too much money.

Yes, they are. If you want more space, less cost and don't mind the commute, go for wrigleyville or somewhere farther away. Good luck!

Second Look was pretty fun. I guess I'm one of those 'lacking social skills' people everyone's referring to... the big, loud reception is one of those situations where I sorta hang out on the side and don't talk much... I find it pretty hard to actually 'break into' an established group of people... I'll have to work on that. Anyways.

It took me a while to loosen up (relatively speaking), and I really enjoyed Johnny Buono's (mmm... Calamari...) - for the socializing, not the pizza :p. Dinner on Friday was great. Went to Lincoln Park, Cafe Ba-ba-reeba, and had Tapas and Sangria for the first time ever.

I did end up spending more time with two guys from California, but I found out one of them was definitely not going to NU afterwards, one still had mixed feelings, and was leaning away from NU. Found that out at the Financial Aid Brunch... Heh. Figures.

I'm certain I'll be attending now. My other choice would have been WashU, but they seem to be ignoring me. The vibe I get from the students at NU is that they're much more relaxed and less (completely) focused on medical school. A healthier attitude. I definitely got to use the L extensively during the weekend as well, and it's so convenient I can't imagine another four years living in suburban sprawl!

So sorry I didn't get a chance to meet y'all in person, (except for UCLAMAN!) but I'll make a better effort this fall. Now begins the great real estate search...

04DukeBio

Back to zapping zebrafish embryos with fluorescent light...

I wasn't there at Second Look, but after all, you're thrown into a room full of like a hundred stranger...not everyone has the personality to instantly start conversations with lotta people.

I was at another school's second look, and the energy there was also moderate. Some people are pretty much set on coming, but others are either bitter/waiting for another state school's reply.

Northwestern gave me a pretty good impression, but the number of kids from the 7-year BA/MD program is a concern. They already form their niche, and they are all relatively young...