Not a DO vs MD thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sieg5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between pre-MD and pre-DO, people plan that far ahead on becoming one? I thought it was, complete the pre-reqs and apply to a bunch of med schools, and if you get into a DO, you're a DO, if you get into an MD, you're an MD, what is this "pre-MD" "pre-DO" I keep seeing? Is it that a person attending an MD school is a pre-md and a person attending a DO school is a pre-DO?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no real difference except for the fact that it is very beneficial to get a DO LOR for an Osteopathic school. I have never heard the terms Pre-MD, Pre-DO used before this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody is pre-MD or pre-DO. EVERYONE is pre-MED.

Might pre-med be someone who is attending uni with the intent of applying to med school in the future?

Edit: I speculate that a pre-med is someone in a uni studying bio for example with the intent that they will apply to med school after completing their bachelor's degree and prereqs and this pre-md pre-do is someone already in med school where a pre-do is a DO school attendee and a pre-md is an MD school attendee, am I right?

Might pre-med be someone who is attending uni with the intent of applying to med school in the future?

Edit: I speculate that a pre-med is someone in a uni studying bio for example with the intent that they will apply to med school after completing their bachelor's degree and prereqs and this pre-md pre-do is someone already in med school where a pre-do is a DO school attendee and a pre-md is an MD school attendee, am I right?

:confused:

Someone in medical school is a medical student.

I didn't think that this was a question someone could confuse, but I stand corrected.

So in this thread we confirmed what the prefix "pre" means. Fantastic. Now let it die.

Reactions: 1 users
:confused:

Someone in medical school is a medical student.

I didn't think that this was a question someone could confuse, but I stand corrected.

OP may not be a native speaker. Certainly not a US resident at any rate. These terms may be more common here.

A pre DO is just a pre med who decided on the DO route.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
OP may not be a native speaker. Certainly not a US resident at any rate. These terms may be more common here.

A pre DO is just a pre med who decided on the DO route.

So then, they would be taking classes in uni with the intent of becoming a DO?

There is no real difference except for the fact that it is very beneficial to get a DO LOR for an Osteopathic school. I have never heard the terms Pre-MD, Pre-DO used before this thread.

This.

Probably a good idea to talk to a few DOs in person before you decide to go DO. To put a thread in that show's absolutely no research ahead of time will get you the same reaction in person as it will get on this thread.
Tantric yoga and reading Sanskrit are optional but helpful skills to have for OMM lab.
You'll probably want to get some bloodwork to make sure your midichlorian levels are high enough to become a DO some time before you apply...in 4 years!

Homage to MedPR: :banana:
I hope this one gets locked soon. :lock:
Please report this thread...to his mother.

Welcome to SDN, please take this survey:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=971186

You'll probably want to get some bloodwork to make sure your midichlorian levels are high enough to become a DO
midichlorians.jpg

Here's to exposing real midichlorians...

h56E6C7A1

I was pre-MD until I ****ed my own ass and got F's in a few classes and a D to boot. Then I became pre-hopefully I didn't **** my entire life.

Reactions: 1 user
D to boot..... ok. *The