Not Being Challenged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChymeofPassion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second year student at a reputable private university, and I feel like I am not being challenged enough to where I feel any satisfaction in doing well. I am a biology major, and the biology classes are an absolute bore. Adding onto that, the classes that I am most interested in, which actually tend to be my physics and chemistry classes, barely go into any depth due to me being on the "life science" track. Based on how my university does its sequence, biology majors take physics for life science, and although there is no general chemistry for life science, there is a general and organic chemistry for chemistry majors, so I assume these classes go into more depth.

At this point I feel like I am at a crossroads, as after this semester I start differentiating between majors, having taken the majority of the science major pre-reqs. As much as I love the fact (and my family b/c scholarship money) that I am doing well in school (4.0), I do not want college to pass me by and miss out on the opportunity to intellectually build myself; I also do not want to ill-prepare myself for the higher level of thinking and reasoning required for the MCAT/Med School because I did not challenge myself in college. I am passionate about all science fields, really anything that requires me to think at a high level, and I am disappointed that Biology is not cutting it.

So my question, TLDR; Should I switch my major at the risk of my GPA, with the possibility it will better prepare myself for the future? If so, based peoples past experience, what science major would people recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you thought about majoring in Physics? Or, double majoring in Chemistry and Physics? If you enjoy it, you should be fine.

I am a second year student at a reputable private university, and I feel like I am not being challenged enough to where I feel any satisfaction in doing well. I am a biology major, and the biology classes are an absolute bore. Adding onto that, the classes that I am most interested in, which actually tend to be my physics and chemistry classes, barely go into any depth due to me being on the "life science" track. Based on how my university does its sequence, biology majors take physics for life science, and although there is no general chemistry for life science, there is a general and organic chemistry for chemistry majors, so I assume these classes go into more depth.

At this point I feel like I am at a crossroads, as after this semester I start differentiating between majors, having taken the majority of the science major pre-reqs. As much as I love the fact (and my family b/c scholarship money) that I am doing well in school (4.0), I do not want college to pass me by and miss out on the opportunity to intellectually build myself; I also do not want to ill-prepare myself for the higher level of thinking and reasoning required for the MCAT/Med School because I did not challenge myself in college. I am passionate about all science fields, really anything that requires me to think at a high level, and I am disappointed that Biology is not cutting it.

So my question, TLDR; Should I switch my major at the risk of my GPA, with the possibility it will better prepare myself for the future? If so, based peoples past experience, what science major would people recommend?
Take some UD Bio courses, or double major. Do whatever interests you, I'm sure you'll do well, as you have up to this point.
It sounds like you're in the grind of the underclassman. There will be more depth in later classes, as well as special topics courses that go into great detail.
You'll find your niche.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Take some UD Bio courses, or double major. Do whatever interests you, I'm sure you'll do well, as you have up to this point.
It sounds like you're in the grind of the underclassman. There will be more depth in later classes, as well as special topics courses that go into great detail.
You'll find your niche.

Pretty much this. 1st and 2nd year classes usually aren't particularly challenging, especially in biology. If medicine is for you, then upper year courses in physiology, immunology, etc. should be a lot more interesting. Personally I'd recommend taking physiology classes regardless of what major you choose. If it turns out you hate them, well that's probably a good thing to find out before applying to medical school.

If you want to maximize your chance of getting into Med school, I'd suggest that you stick with your major and put more time/energy into hobbies and ECs. This way you can have a great gpa and interesting ECs.

Alternatively, if you have the credits to spare, too can always take classes that interest you pass/fail.

I agree that my mind may change once I reach the UD classes (next semester), and trust me, I have been supplementing all my free time by stacking EC's. I may look into a Biology-Physics Combined major so I don't lose any time towards graduation.

Thank you for the responses everyone!

Pursue a subject you find intellectually stimulating. If you're not interested in it, chances are you won't do well any way. If you are interested in it, chances are that you will do well because you'll always want to go above and beyond because it's interesting to you.

@ChymeofPassion There's no need to change your major. Basic psychological principles like Maslow's are rooted in the idea that self-development and individual curiosity (aspects of self-actualization) are expected growth patterns after securing basic necessities (perfect GPA, scholarships, and social acceptance). In fact, I'm sure that adcoms (@Goro @gonnif ) look at self-inspired individuality as an important quality for admissions in distinguishing you between a 4.0 automation candidate. Personally, I think that the fact that you're beginning to question the intellectual purpose of a college major is a good start. However, I think that your approach to find a solution is too narrow in the sense that you don't understand how your thinking is being stifled.

Are you unsatisfied because of the pacing of the course? Are you unsatisfied by the nature of the homework or the tasks at hand? Are the concepts too easy for you to grasp? Are you curious about other fields: business, computer science, engineering (e.g. intellectual breadth)? Are you upset by maintaining your routine? Are you upset by the lack of stimulation you feel from your fellow classmates, being in the classroom, or the ease of the tests?

Let's take Chemistry and Physics for instance in which these courses largely concern trouble shooting within the normal framework of their lessons. In Bio 101 you may learn about how the body has baroreceptors, how variances in homeostasis affect these receptors, and how these receptors implement changes by altering arterial pressure within the vasculature. In Physiology you learn further about mean arterial pressure and how it relates to factors like cardiac output and total peripheral resistance. This applies basic concepts of Physics and asks questions relating to relationships between pressure and volume. Furthermore, this gets compounded by topics like Pathophysiology and Pharmacology in order to deduce the causes underlying symptoms and diagnostically skirting the line between symptom management and dz diagnosis simultaneously. Despite this lengthy explanation, the underlying dissatisfaction stems from the conjecture that if you are bored by the lack of problem solving and testing, then it will be addressed in later course work (to which basic Biology courses are building a framework for you to understand in the long-run). This is why I presume a number of students are recommending that you "wait it out" for the later courses that seem more rewarding and involve more applied learning over rote memorization and simple recall + regurgitation.

Running through these questions and asking yourself what you feel is lacking helps define what part of your mind is left fallow. It's important to self-assess where you are unsatisfied and to what extent because attempting amelioration without understanding the source of disappointment could lead to negative factors like burnout and retention loss. Presuming that you are rational, it also revolves the fact that you need to make sure that you don't lose sight of your minimum parameters which is maintaining your 4.0 because that is the minimum standard you have placed upon yourself (presumably). In which case, the maximum parameter is not necessarily finding a more engaging college major and risking the loss that is conferred by the advantage of having multiple scholarships. It is finding methods to self-stimulate yourself in ways that are enjoyable without delving into a sample size that would jeopardize your minimum standards.

In which case this can be fulfilled by autodidacticism or self-engaged learning. Challenge yourself in ways that most people don't because it feels enjoyable. Most people only possess a third grade comprehension level of reading and a limited vernacular which is only reinforced through colloquial speech patterns. Who cares? In an interview with Anderson Cooper, rap artist Eminem mentioned that he used to read dictionaries from front to back and back to front until he broke the book binding. People equate his lyricism to being a genius, however it could simply be a function of exercising his ability of self-expression that enabled him to be such a prolific figure in contemporary culture.

The right answer to questions of individual dissatissfaction are never completely addressed by simple and immediate answers. At least, that's what I believe.

Reactions: 2 users
As others have said, you may want to give upper level bio courses a chance. Obviously you should do what interests you, but I'd take full advantage of your "easy" first 2 years. If they're really that easy you have no excuse for not getting a 4.0, which will be huge when it's time to apply for med schools. If you're really wondering the next step, pick an upper level course and audit it. Go for 2-3 weeks and see if it's more stimulating for you. If it's not, you probably want to switch majors into some field that you find more interesting.

In the meantime, get your 4.0 and stack to your app as much as possible. You'll be happy in a few years if you apply to med schools when you don't have to worry about if you get in, but where you get in.

This is why I did biochemistry in college. Straight biology was just such an incredible bore to me because of the level it was taught at in undergrad. I actually enjoyed calc based physics, achem, pchem, ect and found it easier to do well in them beacause the material was challenging and interactive. If I were you I'd take a couple classes for the physical science majors and see how you like it.

If you want to maximize your chance of getting into Med school, I'd suggest that you stick with your major and put more time/energy into hobbies and ECs. This way you can have a great gpa and interesting ECs.

Alternatively, if you have the credits to spare, too can always take classes that interest you

Solid advice. As someone who also didn't feel challenged at my undergrad university, trust me that 1. it gets more difficult and 2. the MCAT will challenge you more than you want, haha.

Thank you for the responses everyone. Although I don't have time to reply to everyone, I have read it all and will take it all into account. Btw @Sardinia you're a brilliant writer.

If you feel you're not being challenged enough, try to join a lab and get involved in research. Given some independence I'm sure you'll find it stimulating. Or like others said, pick up a second major/minor.

I too had this problem. Sadly it lead me to not even try for classes that mattered for my GPA, all because I was not challenged in these classes and the info had become too redundant and boring.
In hindsight, I would continued my leadership positions, research and perhaps taken few more classes that I liked such as art, sculpting, public speaking etc. In other words, kept myself as busy as possible in doing things that I like, which would in my opinion, have kept things even with my "boring" classes.
Curious, why can't you take classes outside your degree route ?

If you feel you're not being challenged enough, try to join a lab and get involved in research. Given some independence I'm sure you'll find it stimulating. Or like others said, pick up a second major/minor.
I work at a lab for about 20 hours a week. Close to a couple pubs. Definitely helps!

I too had this problem. Sadly it lead me to not even try for classes that mattered for my GPA, all because I was not challenged in these classes and the info had become too redundant and boring.
In hindsight, I would continued my leadership positions, research and perhaps taken few more classes that I liked such as art, sculpting, public speaking etc. In other words, kept myself as busy as possible in doing things that I like, which would in my opinion, have kept things even with my "boring" classes.
Curious, why can't you take classes outside your degree route ?
I can take certain classes outside my degree route, and I think I will! But I'm more interested in the upper division classes that are major specific.

I can take certain classes outside my degree route, and I think I will! But I'm more interested in the upper division classes that are major specific.
What's stopping you from declaring the major to take the classes and then dropping it later?

Take something totally outside of your degree and outside of your comfort zone. For example: a foreign language you are not familiar with, a religious studies course focused on a religion you are unfamiliar with, dance, studio art.

What's stopping you from declaring the major to take the classes and then dropping it later?
most likely pre-reqs. Its an interesting situation...
@ChymeofPassion There is always online courses if you can find them.

Last edited by a moderator: