Not being full time, will it effect my chances of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zyvox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been taking 2-3 classes per semester, with usually one science class each time. Do you think that since i haven't stacked up on my sciences, its going to hurt my chances of getting in?

My gpa is a 3.76 and I've yet to take my pcat.

Another question--I still have to take organic chemistry and I'm debating if i should take it at a community college or at a university, do you guys think the admission committee is going to look down at my application because i took classes at a community college?

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been taking 2-3 classes per semester, with usually one science class each time. Do you think that since i haven't stacked up on my sciences, its going to hurt my chances of getting in?

My gpa is a 3.76 and I've yet to take my pcat.

Another question--I still have to take organic chemistry and I'm debating if i should take it at a community college or at a university, do you guys think the admission committee is going to look down at my application because i took classes at a community college?

Thanks for any advice.

It depends on what college you want to go to; some of them look at the courseload you are taking each semester, some of them do not. For example, one of the things USN looks at is your GPA no matter how you got it. Last semester I took 2 science courses, worked part time, and I am doing the same thing this semster; I'm also taking the classes at a community college, and I've been accepted there for the fall semester. So, just research the college you'll be applying to--usually they will let you know what they are looking for in an applicant. I've come across several websites (unfortunately I cannot remember what colleges because I looked at so many of them) where they state specifically that they will look at your courseload. As for whether you should take it as a cc or university, I would imagine that if the college you are considering looks at your courseload, they would probably also look at where you've taken the course. But I cannot be certain on that.

When I went back to school I only took 2 classes per semester, 1 in winter and summer. That includes all my science pre-reqs. I did really well on the pcat. I applied to three schools. I got interviewed at all three. I got into one right away, one off the wait list, and one I withdrew my name while still on the wait list.
My advice is to not worry about it too much. There are probably reasons you are taking only 2 or 3 classes. For me, it was that chemistry was all I needed. I would have taken three chem courses at the same time if they would have let me. Do well on the pcat, and research your schools. Some schools only look at science prereqs, some look every class. With a gpa like that, you should be fine either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've only taken more than 3 classes in a semester/qtr twice. For me, that was full time. 3x4=12 units=full-time. 6+3+3=12 etc. So even if they do look at it, it doesn't necessarily say anything. It sure takes longer (7 years and counting), but I don't think it makes that much difference to the schools.

I think being part time would be fine, but if you are only taking one science course then I would think schools would expect A grades in your science courses.

It depends on what college you want to go to; some of them look at the courseload you are taking each semester, some of them do not. For example, one of the things USN looks at is your GPA no matter how you got it. Last semester I took 2 science courses, worked part time, and I am doing the same thing this semster; I'm also taking the classes at a community college, and I've been accepted there for the fall semester. So, just research the college you'll be applying to--usually they will let you know what they are looking for in an applicant. I've come across several websites (unfortunately I cannot remember what colleges because I looked at so many of them) where they state specifically that they will look at your courseload. As for whether you should take it as a cc or university, I would imagine that if the college you are considering looks at your courseload, they would probably also look at where you've taken the course. But I cannot be certain on that.

does usn offer academic forgiveness? I have taken most of my prereqs twice after getting Ws and Cs but have gotten As the second time around and if academic orgivness is incorporated I will meet nevadas averge GPA of 3.60 or so. Do they offer it though? I agree with what you said about not caring about the courseload because I did ask them but I have a different situation.

does usn offer academic forgiveness? I have taken most of my prereqs twice after getting Ws and Cs but have gotten As the second time around and if academic orgivness is incorporated I will meet nevadas averge GPA of 3.60 or so. Do they offer it though? I agree with what you said about not caring about the courseload because I did ask them but I have a different situation.

Yes, see their website. They will do academic forgiveness for courses over 5 years old, but you must have taken all the pre-reqs w/ the the last 5 years. You must still submit all college transcripts even if you take academic forgiveness. (I took it and will be attending their So. Jordan campus this fall).

Good Luck