Not completing Chemistry labs until AFTER applying? Advice on Chem Labs Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a predicament here. Would appreciate advice on how to strategize "putting classes off," or if I even should.

So, Gen Chem Lab and Organic Lab at UCLA Extension (Gen Chem Lab: General and Organic Chemistry Laboratory I | UCLA Continuing Education , Orgo Lab: General and Organic Chemistry Laboratory II | UCLA Continuing Education) cost a whopping $4845. They're a total of 7 quarter units, or 4.7 semester units.

Money is tight right now, and I don't really want to drop that much money on labs before applying if I do not have to. I understand they're prerequisites, and I need to take them eventually. I was hoping that I would just take all the remaining lectures for bio/chem/physics/upper divisions before the summer I apply, and then take these 2 classes AFTER submitting my applications. What are your thoughts on this strategy? Is it not recommended? Or just neutral?

Should I just bite the bullet and spend $5k on these 2 lab classes, or should I spend that money on upper divisions instead, and take the chem lab classes AFTER applying?

Members don't see this ad.

you have to complete all of the prerequisites prior to matriculation, it doesnt matter if its 2 years before matriculation or 2 months. Complete them whenever is best for your specific time/financial situation.

you have to complete all of the prerequisites prior to matriculation, it doesnt matter if its 2 years before matriculation or 2 months. Complete them whenever is best for your specific time/financial situation.

So not having completed the lab requirement prior to matriculation won't be a minus for me, right? Just a neutral, as long as my grades are good?

Members don't see this ad :)
So not having completed the lab requirement prior to matriculation won't be a minus for me, right? Just a neutral, as long as my grades are good?
you need to complete ALL prerequisites prior to matriculating to med school but they dont have to be completed prior to applying.

From an student adcoms point of view I couldn’t give less of a crap if and when you take your chem labs. And I’d imagine 99% of my faculty adcom counterparts would agree with me.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted to multiple MD and multiple DO programs without all of my prereqs done. I am currently enrolled in Ochem lab, Physics lab, and advanced writing/English (a few schools require a year but I only completed one semester before applying) before matriculating in July/August. It has been a non-issue.

I'm in a bit of a predicament here. Would appreciate advice on how to strategize "putting classes off," or if I even should.

So, Gen Chem Lab and Organic Lab at UCLA Extension (Gen Chem Lab: General and Organic Chemistry Laboratory I | UCLA Continuing Education , Orgo Lab: General and Organic Chemistry Laboratory II | UCLA Continuing Education) cost a whopping $4845. They're a total of 7 quarter units, or 4.7 semester units.

Money is tight right now, and I don't really want to drop that much money on labs before applying if I do not have to. I understand they're prerequisites, and I need to take them eventually. I was hoping that I would just take all the remaining lectures for bio/chem/physics/upper divisions before the summer I apply, and then take these 2 classes AFTER submitting my applications. What are your thoughts on this strategy? Is it not recommended? Or just neutral?

Should I just bite the bullet and spend $5k on these 2 lab classes, or should I spend that money on upper divisions instead, and take the chem lab classes AFTER applying?

Here is something that you may not realize: The labs (Chem 14 BL and Chem 14 CL) are called "impacted" which means that they do not have enough spots to accommodate all the students wanting to take these courses. They have a priority/ranking system in which seniors, juniors, sophomores, freshmen, and extension students get the labs in the order. Extension students are lowest on the priority list. Thus you may be forced to take the course in summer or later. However, there were plans to open up Saturday morning/day sessions to accomodate this overload. I was very aware of these issues when I was a TA there.

In conclusion, I recommend having a back-up plan since you may not be able to take the courses at UCLA.

Last edited by a moderator: