Madhatter

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2003
290
0
38
Visit site
Status
how out-of-place would one be if they didnt drink while in med school?
 

fourthyearmed

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2004
507
1
Status
Not at all. I'd say only about 5% or less of my class goes out drinking on a regular basis.
 

felipe5

Fingerpickin' Good
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2002
1,230
4
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lol, i think it be a lot crazier if you didn't drink COFFEE or some other caffeinated beverage while in medical school :D But honestly, you wouldn't be out of place.....i used to imbibe quite frequently in undergrad, but now I mainly do so after test blocks.....for some reason, its much more enjoyable then :D
 

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
4,096
4
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Madhatter said:
how out-of-place would one be if they didnt drink while in med school?
If you don't want to then it shouldn't matter. There are people in college who don't drink so don't worry about it.
 

erin682

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
622
6
Hogwarts
Status
Attending Physician
No, I have a couple of friends who don't drink at all and I never get drunk and its not a problem. My class parties a lot so those aren't a ton of fun if you don't drink but for everything else it doesn't matter at all. Med school might make you want to drink but you certainly don't have to :D
 

beanbean

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2002
1,298
11
51
Connecticut
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
No one will care. I don't drink alcohol and no one has ever said anything. There are plenty of students who don't drink due to personal, religous or medical reasons.
 

wiryMD

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2005
38
0
Status
Madhatter said:
how out-of-place would one be if they didnt drink while in med school?
You wouldn't be out of place in the least. There are multiple advantages to not drinking, for instance you will always know where your car is in the morning. You won't ever say..."how the h**l did I get here" when you wake up, and you won't have to worry about "accidentally" sleeping with the deans daughter.......? :)
 

kappasigMD41

Slow but speeding...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2004
131
0
38
Not close enough to WrigleyField
Status
Madhatter said:
how out-of-place would one be if they didnt drink while in med school?

:rolleyes: Still amazed at the questions we get here on SDN.......
 

toofache32

15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2003
3,873
36
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Madhatter said:
how out-of-place would one be if they didnt drink while in med school?
Like a banjo in an orchestra. At least my school.
 

ddmo

BMF
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2003
1,027
5
Visit site
Status
fourthyearmed said:
Not at all. I'd say only about 5% or less of my class goes out drinking on a regular basis.
Damn, that sounds real lame.
 

johnny_blaze

And my name is hawkeye
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2004
270
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I personally use any free time I have to go out and get seriously wasted… majority of my medic friends do the same. I think balancing a social life with study is very important or else the stress can get to you.

You don’t necessarily have to associate drinking with going out an having fun, a lot of people do though… it just makes it easier to get laid. :laugh: jokes
 

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
13,139
2,504
the beach
Status
Attending Physician
Wah? If you don't drink anything in medical school you'll die of thirst before your first exam!

Alternate Pun:

I drink all the time while in med school. Class is too boring otherwise! Hard not to nod off tho...
 

!dr_nick!

Loves you AND your mom!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
2,084
0
38
the pants party
Status
I dont drink much due to interactions with meds. However, Im thinking about having a drunk day on the last day of regular class. Not like dancing on the tables throwing up drunk, just off-balance giggly drunk.
 

erin682

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
622
6
Hogwarts
Status
Attending Physician
!dr_nick! said:
I dont drink much due to interactions with meds. However, Im thinking about having a drunk day on the last day of regular class. Not like dancing on the tables throwing up drunk, just off-balance giggly drunk.
We had a girls flag football game the night after a huge anatomy/histo/development test last semester and like half the class (including the team) showed up trashed. I've never seen guys get that into girls football it was great. Of course we lost b/c our star receiver was one of the drunk ones. And then 2 of the guys that came started wrestling and one got knocked unconscious. We had to call EMS. And of course as everyone their was med students everyone also thought they should be the one to help and were to drunk to realize that 50 people trying to help was a bad idea. The guy was ok so it turned out to be a funny story.

Anyway moral of the story, don't wrestle drunk at girls football games.
 

MSHell

Deranged User
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
293
3
Status
Resident [Any Field]
toofache32 said:
Like a banjo in an orchestra. At least my school.
Mine too, but there some are people who don't drink alot and some who don't drink at all. Do what you want - get sh!tfaced every night, be a total straight edge or somewhere in between. Most people probably won't notice.
 

velo

bottom of the food chain
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
5,573
8
37
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Madhatter said:
how out-of-place would one be if they didnt drink while in med school?
WHAT!?!?! What you're proposing is madness, MADNESS I SAY!!!!
 

SLUsagar

rock chalk jayhawk
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
512
1
Visit site
Status
Madhatter said:
how out-of-place would one be if they didnt drink while in med school?

As a 4th year about to start residency, i'd say it's not all that common, but it happens (usually it's the people that never really drank before med school that end up doing it).
What i found odd - and even MORE challenging - were the few peepz that refused to have a TV while in med school...>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or at least during the first 2 years...)
 

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2001
6,976
11
105
Missery
Status
Attending Physician
SLUsagar said:
As a 4th year about to start residency, i'd say it's not all that common, but it happens (usually it's the people that never really drank before med school that end up doing it).
What i found odd - and even MORE challenging - were the few peepz that refused to have a TV while in med school...>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or at least during the first 2 years...)
no TV AND no alcohol.. that would be pure insanity!! I could handle no caffine for med school as caffine and I dont do well together.. but no TV and/or alcohol would no be an option. :)
 

gwyn779

stargazer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
2,809
1
40
soon to be Winston-Salem
Visit site
Status
SLUsagar said:
What i found odd - and even MORE challenging - were the few peepz that refused to have a TV while in med school...>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or at least during the first 2 years...)
While I've had a TV in school, I can't say I've really watched it that much. At this point there isn't a single show that I've managed to follow regularly. It's good for watching movies, though.

But I definitely drink alcohol whenever I want.
 

Argante

Still Searching
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
17
0
Earth
Status
Madhatter said:
how out-of-place would one be if they didnt drink while in med school?
Is this something that would merely be a continuation of your normal practice? Or would you decide not to drink alcohol specifically during the time you're in med school?

I don't think it would be terribly out of place, certainly not looked down upon.
 

sKorpia

Endless
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
33
0
The Sunless Lands
Status
Megalofyia said:
no TV AND no alcohol.. that would be pure insanity!!
The Simpsons actually explored that scenario:

Homer: Whadda ya think Marge? All I need is a title. I was thinking something along the lines of 'No TV And No Beer Make Homer... something something'.
Marge: Go crazy?
Homer: Don't mind if I do! (goes crazy)
(Treehouse of Horror V)
 

Kevbot

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2004
236
0
36
NJ
Status
sKorpia said:
The Simpsons actually explored that scenario:

Homer: Whadda ya think Marge? All I need is a title. I was thinking something along the lines of 'No TV And No Beer Make Homer... something something'.
Marge: Go crazy?
Homer: Don't mind if I do! (goes crazy)
(Treehouse of Horror V)
It's scary that I was thinking of the exact same quote when I read the above post. :laugh:
 

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
3,068
42
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Megalofyia said:
no TV AND no alcohol.. that would be pure insanity!! I could handle no caffine for med school as caffine and I dont do well together.. but no TV and/or alcohol would no be an option. :)

same here. TV shows just aren't what they used to be for me. I try to watch them, but it seems like all that is on these days is crappy reality shows, crappy dramas, and the comedies are all too predictable. I kinda like family guy though.
 

macdown

Lego Maniac
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2002
143
5
Land of Sky Blue Water
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
fourthyearmed said:
Not at all. I'd say only about 5% or less of my class goes out drinking on a regular basis.
You either have a very disiplined class or there are a lot of closet drinkers. I'd say at least 25% of my class drinks regularly and 50% drink in general. When I say regular, of course I mean when we don't have tests, quizzes or major projects (usually about 2 times a month). Of, course we do have a few lushes who drink any time, tests or otherwise.

I do have to add that I drink more now than I did in undergrad. Not more often, just more in one sitting.
 

SLUser11

CRS
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
2,879
775
Status
Attending Physician
it helps me wake up in the morning, and it helps me go to sleep at night....I don't see what the big deal is.....scotchy-scotch scotch :love:
 

fourthyearmed

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2004
507
1
Status
macdown said:
You either have a very disiplined class or there are a lot of closet drinkers. I'd say at least 25% of my class drinks regularly and 50% drink in general. When I say regular, of course I mean when we don't have tests, quizzes or major projects (usually about 2 times a month). Of, course we do have a few lushes who drink any time, tests or otherwise.

I do have to add that I drink more now than I did in undergrad. Not more often, just more in one sitting.
I think we have a very different idea about "regular". I meant 3X a week or more like most people at my undergrad thought was totally normal (except for me). If we're talking 2X a month as you define regular, that would be 50% or more of the class. If we're talking a beer or two occassionally that's probably about 75% of the class. The other 25% are no alcohol ever.
 

macdown

Lego Maniac
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2002
143
5
Land of Sky Blue Water
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
fourthyearmed said:
I think we have a very different idea about "regular". I meant 3X a week or more like most people at my undergrad thought was totally normal (except for me). If we're talking 2X a month as you define regular, that would be 50% or more of the class. If we're talking a beer or two occassionally that's probably about 75% of the class. The other 25% are no alcohol ever.
Fair enough.
 

siempre595

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2002
519
1
Visit site
Status
No one cares about the drinking/no drinking thing anymore. We're too busy and have bigger things to worry about. Do what you want, after people realize you don't drink, they won't ask about it again. Honestly, people just don't care, or else they are really lame and still in early college mode.