not drinking while in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madhatter

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how out-of-place would one be if they didnt drink while in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Not at all. I'd say only about 5% or less of my class goes out drinking on a regular basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, i think it be a lot crazier if you didn't drink COFFEE or some other caffeinated beverage while in medical school :D But honestly, you wouldn't be out of place.....i used to imbibe quite frequently in undergrad, but now I mainly do so after test blocks.....for some reason, its much more enjoyable then :D

Madhatter said:

If you don't want to then it shouldn't matter. There are people in college who don't drink so don't worry about it.

No, I have a couple of friends who don't drink at all and I never get drunk and its not a problem. My class parties a lot so those aren't a ton of fun if you don't drink but for everything else it doesn't matter at all. Med school might make you want to drink but you certainly don't have to :D

No one will care. I don't drink alcohol and no one has ever said anything. There are plenty of students who don't drink due to personal, religous or medical reasons.

Madhatter said:

You wouldn't be out of place in the least. There are multiple advantages to not drinking, for instance you will always know where your car is in the morning. You won't ever say..."how the h**l did I get here" when you wake up, and you won't have to worry about "accidentally" sleeping with the deans daughter.......? :)

Madhatter said:
Like a banjo in an orchestra. At least my school.

fourthyearmed said:
Not at all. I'd say only about 5% or less of my class goes out drinking on a regular basis.
Damn, that sounds real lame.

I personally use any free time I have to go out and get seriously wasted… majority of my medic friends do the same. I think balancing a social life with study is very important or else the stress can get to you.

You don’t necessarily have to associate drinking with going out an having fun, a lot of people do though… it just makes it easier to get laid. :laugh: jokes

who cares how "out of place" you'd be ... do what you want, what works for you and what goes well with your life.

Wah? If you don't drink anything in medical school you'll die of thirst before your first exam!

Alternate Pun:

I drink all the time while in med school. Class is too boring otherwise! Hard not to nod off tho...

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont drink much due to interactions with meds. However, Im thinking about having a drunk day on the last day of regular class. Not like dancing on the tables throwing up drunk, just off-balance giggly drunk.

!dr_nick! said:
I dont drink much due to interactions with meds. However, Im thinking about having a drunk day on the last day of regular class. Not like dancing on the tables throwing up drunk, just off-balance giggly drunk.

We had a girls flag football game the night after a huge anatomy/histo/development test last semester and like half the class (including the team) showed up trashed. I've never seen guys get that into girls football it was great. Of course we lost b/c our star receiver was one of the drunk ones. And then 2 of the guys that came started wrestling and one got knocked unconscious. We had to call EMS. And of course as everyone their was med students everyone also thought they should be the one to help and were to drunk to realize that 50 people trying to help was a bad idea. The guy was ok so it turned out to be a funny story.

Anyway moral of the story, don't wrestle drunk at girls football games.

toofache32 said:
Like a banjo in an orchestra. At least my school.
Mine too, but there some are people who don't drink alot and some who don't drink at all. Do what you want - get ****faced every night, be a total straight edge or somewhere in between. Most people probably won't notice.

Don't drink, will not drink alcohol. Coffee? Yes. Alcohol? Nope.

Madhatter said:

WHAT!?!?! What you're proposing is madness, MADNESS I SAY!!!!

ddmoore54 said:
Damn, that sounds real lame.

My thoughts exactly.....

That said do what you want to do, who cares what others are doing?

Madhatter said:

As a 4th year about to start residency, i'd say it's not all that common, but it happens (usually it's the people that never really drank before med school that end up doing it).
What i found odd - and even MORE challenging - were the few peepz that refused to have a TV while in med school...>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or at least during the first 2 years...)

SLUsagar said:
As a 4th year about to start residency, i'd say it's not all that common, but it happens (usually it's the people that never really drank before med school that end up doing it).
What i found odd - and even MORE challenging - were the few peepz that refused to have a TV while in med school...>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or at least during the first 2 years...)
no TV AND no alcohol.. that would be pure insanity!! I could handle no caffine for med school as caffine and I dont do well together.. but no TV and/or alcohol would no be an option. :)

SLUsagar said:
While I've had a TV in school, I can't say I've really watched it that much. At this point there isn't a single show that I've managed to follow regularly. It's good for watching movies, though.

But I definitely drink alcohol whenever I want.

Madhatter said:
Is this something that would merely be a continuation of your normal practice? Or would you decide not to drink alcohol specifically during the time you're in med school?

I don't think it would be terribly out of place, certainly not looked down upon.

Megalofyia said:
no TV AND no alcohol.. that would be pure insanity!!

The Simpsons actually explored that scenario:

Homer: Whadda ya think Marge? All I need is a title. I was thinking something along the lines of 'No TV And No Beer Make Homer... something something'.
Marge: Go crazy?
Homer: Don't mind if I do! (goes crazy)
(Treehouse of Horror V)

sKorpia said:
The Simpsons actually explored that scenario:

Homer: Whadda ya think Marge? All I need is a title. I was thinking something along the lines of 'No TV And No Beer Make Homer... something something'.
Marge: Go crazy?
Homer: Don't mind if I do! (goes crazy)
(Treehouse of Horror V)

It's scary that I was thinking of the exact same quote when I read the above post. :laugh:

Megalofyia said:
no TV AND no alcohol.. that would be pure insanity!! I could handle no caffine for med school as caffine and I dont do well together.. but no TV and/or alcohol would no be an option. :)

same here. TV shows just aren't what they used to be for me. I try to watch them, but it seems like all that is on these days is crappy reality shows, crappy dramas, and the comedies are all too predictable. I kinda like family guy though.

fourthyearmed said:
You either have a very disiplined class or there are a lot of closet drinkers. I'd say at least 25% of my class drinks regularly and 50% drink in general. When I say regular, of course I mean when we don't have tests, quizzes or major projects (usually about 2 times a month). Of, course we do have a few lushes who drink any time, tests or otherwise.

I do have to add that I drink more now than I did in undergrad. Not more often, just more in one sitting.

it helps me wake up in the morning, and it helps me go to sleep at night....I don't see what the big deal is.....scotchy-scotch scotch :love:

macdown said:
You either have a very disiplined class or there are a lot of closet drinkers. I'd say at least 25% of my class drinks regularly and 50% drink in general. When I say regular, of course I mean when we don't have tests, quizzes or major projects (usually about 2 times a month). Of, course we do have a few lushes who drink any time, tests or otherwise.

I do have to add that I drink more now than I did in undergrad. Not more often, just more in one sitting.

I think we have a very different idea about "regular". I meant 3X a week or more like most people at my undergrad thought was totally normal (except for me). If we're talking 2X a month as you define regular, that would be 50% or more of the class. If we're talking a beer or two occassionally that's probably about 75% of the class. The other 25% are no alcohol ever.

fourthyearmed said:
I think we have a very different idea about "regular". I meant 3X a week or more like most people at my undergrad thought was totally normal (except for me). If we're talking 2X a month as you define regular, that would be 50% or more of the class. If we're talking a beer or two occassionally that's probably about 75% of the class. The other 25% are no alcohol ever.

Fair enough.

No one cares about the drinking/no drinking thing anymore. We're too busy and have bigger things to worry about. Do what you want, after people realize you don't drink, they won't ask about it again. Honestly, people just don't care, or else they are really lame and still in early college mode.