Not even sure where to start!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarperSi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Hoping to get some advice/info. I would consider myself a non traditional student being 25 and having a GED. (Left highschool my senior year.. big mistake, never bothered with the SATs/ACTs -- worried about that.)

Anyway, I am hoping to become a Pharmacist. I am SO ready to go back to school at this point, just really need some guidance. I have done some schooling, but not much that will transfer. (and not much that has gotten me anywhere!) I've been looking at my GED as a death sentence for so long I haven't felt like this was an option but pharmacy school is the only thing that's bounced around in my head since I was 16 and I've realized I am not going to be able to settle or be satisfied with myself with anything less.

I think I am able to do this. I do not have children or debt, and I have a wonderful father who will help me get through school financially best he can.. and thank goodness, I have so much respect and admiration for people who get through these difficult schools with families and jobs. I know I need to focus and get started before I have any other distractions to deal with.

Where to begin though? Having a GED and no SAT/ACT I am thinking my best bet is to begin at a community college for a year full time and keep up a 4.0 or damn close to it and then trying to transfer pre pharm to a school with a pharm school. (My preference is Temple or Wilkes, if anyone has insight on those) Is it possible to go pre pharm at a community college and take a lot of pre reqs?? May be a silly question but I promise I am super out of the loop :oops:

I've heard a lot about people going the full 4 years before ever applying to pharmacy school, and I am hoping I wont be in that boat. I would love to get this finished in 6 and be able to start my life before I am in my mid 30's..

Another question, I of course will be needing student loans. Do I need private loans in order to pay living expenses? I feel the answer is no to that but never having any student loans in the past I was under the impression that student loans only pay for school. How much debt can I expect to rack up in 6-7 years? I am expecting that number to be somewhere around 150-200k. My dad will be able to provide me with a car and a limited amount of money per month and I will work as much / long as I can but I just know I will need additional help with the cost of living through 6-7 years!!

I know this is really long, so sorry. Appreciate any responses.

Thanks so much!
Melissa

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure why you're convinced you can't go to a 4yr college/university because you have a GED? Since you are 25, you are probably beyond the required time period for those scores. They typically only apply to people who are graduating HS. That said, you would have to apply, be accepted, and take placement tests. No big deal... Stop holding yourself back! Have you even looked at the requirements for your local schools or talked to the admin people? I bet the answers will surprise you!

I have not! Barely thought about it. You're right, I have convinced myself I can't go to the schools I want to be at until I've proven myself I guess. Thanks for the response!! I will be contacting these schools as well. :xf:

I am not sure why you're convinced you can't go to a 4yr college/university because you have a GED? Since you are 25, you are probably beyond the required time period for those scores. They typically only apply to people who are graduating HS. That said, you would have to apply, be accepted, and take placement tests. No big deal... Stop holding yourself back! Have you even looked at the requirements for your local schools or talked to the admin people? I bet the answers will surprise you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just know people get into a mindset that something must be the same as it was... I looked at Lock Haven, since they have a campus in Clearfield, which is close to you, and as I suspected, your test requirement is waived, and they require a GED or HS diploma, but not the ACT/SAT because you have been out of school more than 3 years. So, that said, Penn State, UPENN might be out, but I'd guess most of the other state schools, and likely a fair number of private schools are within your reach. As far as paying for it... There is a limited amount of fin aid you can get 1st/2nd year of college. They don't want people taking out tons of loans and dropping out of school with a huge debt load, so... those are the hardest years to cover the bills. Since you are technically and adult (independent student) you will qualify for more $$, and if your dad is helping you, and you can work PT, you may be able to swing it... Just watch the work load, you need to keep your grades up, as Pharm school is no cake to get into either... (had a roommate who wants to do a PharmD)... Best of luck, and I hope the admin people have promising news for you!

Appreciate it, and I am kind of embarrassed now that the SAT thing has been a huge part of my worries! Took the psats and did unremarkably, was wondering how in gods name I was going to take the SATs 8+ years later!! Haha.

Thanks again, at least now I know I can get in touch with admin at a 4 year! Really out of it, clearly.

Nah, I just know things because I helped my husbands cousin start taking classes, she was home schooled, has NO college prep courses, has a GED, but she was afraid to start because she thought she could fail the placement tests... she thought she would do so badly the community college would kick her to the curb... I also did a bunch of research for myself when I went back to school... even though I already have BS, I had to look through all the admin info to find out what I needed to do... Don't sweat it... we all have things we know about that others don't ;)