Not Feeling Very Confident About Starting Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

94hdogs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We just got done with our second semester of medical school, which every M2 says is the hardest semester of medical school before we start getting into pur systems courses. I told myself before M1 started that I would start research by this time but for some reason, I just don't feel super confident about spending tons of time doing research. I'm only averaging 70s-80s in my classes and I only rarely perform above the class average on exams. I'd ideally like to feel confident about my school performance and be scoring 90s consistently before beginning research for residency applications (some of the projects are actually kinda cool), but I'm afraid that day will never come. I remember in undergrad that a pre-health advisor had told me to hold off on extracurricular activities until after I learned how to manage school first. This resulted in a huge time crunch during the tail end of undergrad and delayed my application to medical school; something I don't want to repeat for residency applications. However I also don't wanna screw over my studies either. What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

One thing you could do is work with others on the same research project.

But school work is more important than research since schoolwork correlates with board scores (not to mention it is more important to becoming a knowledgable doctor).