Not having enough practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arde11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all aspiring dentist.. I have passed my dentistry ten years ago. Currently I am in Canada however without license I was working in a non dental field. Now I am planning to appear for the exams but dont feel confident enough about the dental work as I haven't had any practice from a long time. How can I get enough practice here in Canada. Does anybody else have a similar concern

Members don't see this ad.

If you can't find a friend or pay someone to let you play around with their equipment, then you need to buy your own.
Go on eBay first. You need a set of typodont, mounting equipment and portable electric drill/turbine, burs, compressor and some instruments, at least the basic ones. Sometimes this stuff is sold here.

If you can't find a friend or pay someone to let you play around with their equipment, then you need to buy your own.
Go on eBay first. You need a set of typodont, mounting equipment and portable electric drill/turbine, burs, compressor and some instruments, at least the basic ones. Sometimes this stuff is sold here.
Thank you for your reply I appreciate your suggestion will surely try to start with getting some basic instruments and Practising on typodonts. Also trying to get into a dental clinic for shadowing hopefully someone wl agree..

Members don't see this ad :)
It's tough. Dentists are reluctant to allow foreign dentists in their offices. I would imagine it is even worse now, when more and more dentists from other countries just take exams, instead of paying a fortune for the education, like them.

It's tough. Dentists are reluctant to allow foreign dentists in their offices. I would imagine it is even worse now, when more and more dentists from other countries just take exams, instead of paying a fortune for the education, like them.
I can understand that point of view however its not easy on foreign dentist as well.. We pay a lot of money in our own country too for the education and the cut throat competition. We study exactly the same syllabus and spend the same time in school.Then we have to do the exams here as well which is also quite rigorous. There are two sides to the coin

I can understand that point of view however its not easy on foreign dentist as well.. We pay a lot of money in our own country too for the education and the cut throat competition. We study exactly the same syllabus and spend the same time in school.Then we have to do the exams here as well which is also quite rigorous. There are two sides to the coin
You don't have to explain that to me - I am in the same shoes as you. Just wanted you to be ready for the chilly attitude.
Unless you have a friend/dentist, it's going to be tough. I started by being a dental assistant, had lots to offer, but still experienced discrimination. Easier would be practicing at home, but then you are running into a problem of practicing the wrong way

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with you and thinking about all of this situations I resisted starting with the licensing prep worked all kind of odd jobs gave my best at it and tried to be satisfied but the moment somebody mistreated me I could not help thinking i am a dentist what am I doing here. So now it comes down to do I take a wrong attitude stuck in the wrong job or from the right one. Atleast here I may have the sense of belonging

Hi Arde, I am in same shoes as you. Too much gap. Wasted alot of time on stupid things. My honest advise to you is to study hard for canadian exams and clinical exams. It is most easy way out. This is best option.

2nd option:
Applying for school is not easy. They look at your gap. Every time I go for an interview they tell me I have a big gap and dentistry has changed a lot. they look for clinical experience. Or you can try enrolling in some 1 year advanced clinical training courses in states to gain some clinical experience but it costs a lot and still no guarantee and it's hard to get into these courses as well.

Explore what is best for you. my advise study hard for AFK and go for direct licensing. Dont burn out your attemps. Rest you can learn when you have licence. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using SDN mobile

Hi Arde, I am in same shoes as you. Too much gap. Wasted alot of time on stupid things. My honest advise to you is to study hard for canadian exams and clinical exams. It is most easy way out. This is best option.

2nd option:
Applying for school is not easy. They look at your gap. Every time I go for an interview they tell me I have a big gap and dentistry has changed a lot. they look for clinical experience. Or you can try enrolling in some 1 year advanced clinical training courses in states to gain some clinical experience but it costs a lot and still no guarantee and it's hard to get into these courses as well.

Explore what is best for you. my advise study hard for AFK and go for direct licensing. Dont burn out your attemps. Rest you can learn when you have licence. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using SDN mobile
That is a very valuable advice.. Thanks a lot. Due to the gap I am currently looking for an coaching centre. They charge a lot of money but I think it's necessary to get into the system and have a routine to study.