Not in-state anywhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aev20

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My parents recently moved from New York to a different state while I was in college and said state requires one to have lived there for many years to be considered in-state at medical schools. I am, however, taking a gap year before starting medical school. If I declare myself financially independent and live in NY for this year, could I again be considered in-state? Does anyone know if I would have to go to extreme lengths to prove my residency status? I have otherwise lived there for over a decade and would not want to give up the chance to apply as an in-state resident to these schools if I don't have to...

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have to check on NY's specific laws because it varies by state. I recently moved to SC and one year was sufficient as long as I had driver's license for 1 year, multiple proofs of residency (paid taxes, a lease, etc), and could prove I was financially independent of my parents for 1 year since they live in another state.

From a quick google search, it looks like 1 year is good enough for NY residency. So get a license, pay taxes, and don't have your parents don't claim you on their taxes for 1 year you should be good. I had to send all my documentation and proof to SC schools I applied to so make sure you cover all your bases.

You'll have to check on NY's specific laws because it varies by state. I recently moved to SC and one year was sufficient as long as I had driver's license for 1 year, multiple proofs of residency (paid taxes, a lease, etc), and could prove I was financially independent of my parents for 1 year since they live in another state.

From a quick google search, it looks like 1 year is good enough for NY residency. So get a license, pay taxes, and don't have your parents don't claim you on their taxes for 1 year you should be good. I had to send all my documentation and proof to SC schools I applied to so make sure you cover all your bases.

Thank you for the advice! Was the 1 year period for you 1 year before you applied to med school or 1 year before you started?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice! Was the 1 year period for you 1 year before you applied to med school or 1 year before you started?

For south carolina, it is 1 year by the time an admissions decision is made (when I applied, I had lived there 11 months and that was fine because it would be over a year by the time I get a decision). New York medical schools should have information on that somewhere on their website.

Kinda makes it confusing since every state varies!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.