NOT reading the PS passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ceasar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found an old post with a guy saying not to read the passages. He says he did this and got 13 averages on practice mcats. When he went back to reading, he got a 9, then back up once he stopped reading.

I have heard this before and I am considering trying it b/c I am constantly running out of time just in the PS section (which is why the old poster tried it).

What do you all think? Have you tried it? Outcome? I might try it, but I don't have access to many more MCATs and I nervous about blowing off the passages, but I have GOT to find more time and speed up so this might help. . .

Members don't see this ad.

I just found an old post with a guy saying not to read the passages. He says he did this and got 13 averages on practice mcats. When he went back to reading, he got a 9, then back up once he stopped reading.

I have heard this before and I am considering trying it b/c I am constantly running out of time just in the PS section (which is why the old poster tried it).

What do you all think? Have you tried it? Outcome? I might try it, but I don't have access to many more MCATs and I nervous about blowing off the passages, but I have GOT to find more time and speed up so this might help. . .

I think this is a really bad idea, I think its best to read through them pretty quick and not try to understand everything first time through until you see what they actually ask

was he saing this about the AAMC practice tests? thats really tough if he is, cuz there is alot of valuable info in the aamc passages i think

Members don't see this ad :)
Even without getting into the merits of reading/not reading, that guy is definitely bs-ing.

There is no way someone would drop from a 13 to a 9 just bc he spent a little bit more time understanding the context of the questions.

On another note, PS passages tend to be shorter and less involved anyway. I'd definitely read them

i like to read to get my mind in the groove of the topic at hand. also, the mcat sciences are still based heavily on critical reading

Read them. They're short and they can be very helpful. Additionally, due to their length, even if you skipped them, you wouldn't gain much time. Honing your test taking skills will decrease your time and be more beneficial for the entire test.

Read them. They're short and they can be very helpful. Additionally, due to their length, even if you skipped them, you wouldn't gain much time. Honing your test taking skills will decrease your time and be more beneficial for the entire test.

I agree - when I took it the passages were surprisingly short in the PS, very readable without too much concern of time.

I didn't read the thread's subject so when it said that he didn't read the passages, I initially assumed it was the verbal section. I was like WTH.

Bad idea. 80% of the MCAT is passaged based. This past MCAT I got tons of points in the PS by just having an understanding of the general topic and where things are the first time. You'll spend tons of time trying to find it and understand the context if you don't. Beware my friend. :scared: