Not-So-Bright Student Makes D.O. School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdoc121

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it kill you a little bit inside when someone, say, not-so-bright makes it into your D.O. school (or any D.O. school for that matter)? This acquaintance of mine from my college was bragging he made into a certain NYC D.O. school with his 3.0 cGPA and a "relatively decent MCAT score for DO schools." He personally didn't tell me his science GPA or MCAT, but his friends said he received a 26 MCAT. I kid you not, his nickname is college was "the spacey dum****" by about 5-10 of his closest friends and his younger brother. In fact, he says he was originally forced into medicine because of parental pressure, who are both in surgery. However, now he's warmed up to the idea. Not trying to put down D.O. students with low scores, because my scores weren't all that hot either but honestly, this guy breezed by copying homework off of friends and his fiance. The worst part is that his friends (who applied and got into med school) have the worst conception of my D.O. school now because he and I will be going to the same place (hopefully, they don't hate on the degree). It irks me a little because his friends are some of my good friends. How do you deal?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from an MD school and I can tell you for certain there were a bunch of people in my class who probably didn't belong there either. It is not just DO schools that this happens in. For the most part though, adcoms do a great job of letting those who belong there, in.

They're in the MD schools as well. Never forget that you need not be all that bright to get a high GPA -- you just need to work really hard. You can be really intelligent or a hard worker, but you have to be one of the two to do well in undergrad. I mean, come on, undergrad really isn't that hard, is it?

At any rate, usually the system will take care of the people who aren't competent enough to become a physician. Rarely, they will slip through the cracks.

To be honest, you really don't have to be all that bright to be a physician anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's all about hard work. One can be the brightest person in the class and still fall into the last spot in med school if they do not try hard.

Who gives a ****?

....How do you deal?

I don't. I don't care about anyone in medical school but me. Who cares if a total idiot gets in? Why does this hurt you so badly? If they don't belong in there they will eventually be left by the wayside. Or, they will do well, rock the bars, get a great residency and prove that they weren't total idiots after all. Again, why should any of that bother you?

I don't. I don't care about anyone in medical school but me. Who cares if a total idiot gets in? Why does this hurt you so badly? If they don't belong in there they will eventually be left by the wayside. Or, they will do well, rock the bars, get a great residency and prove that they weren't total idiots after all. Again, why should any of that bother you?

Alcoholism is generally what leads to poor medical school performance, not exceptional performance.

Who gives a ****?

+ A billion.

If the guy's truly an idiot, then he will flunk out, bomb boards, be horrible in clinicals, etc. Plus, like others have stated, have a little faith in the ADCOMS ... they know what they're doing.

its not what your job is but how you do it.

besides, without ******* peers how can you enjoy your days?

I agree with those saying not to let it bug you. If he is truly stupid, he will get weeded out somewhere along the way. Even very smart people generally don't just "breeze through" med school, and trying to copy off other people won't help you any for the boards or rotations.

Be proud of whom you are to become. I know there are some students admitted to allopathic schools with an average score 21.5 on MCAT....
Just study hard and work hard!

The biggest idiot I've ever met and worked with is a allopathic medical student who was accepted into his program via the SAT/high school early acceptance route. I've had attendings say "WTF?" to his face during rounds.

+1

Exactly. I for one kind of resent the fact people judge people's ability by their personality to some degree. And even besides that undergrad gpa and MCAT have never been amazing predictors of success in med school. There are people in med school all the time who act like total idiots, don't care about grades and yet go on to do well on boards get good residencies and become great physicians. This may not be exactly what the OP was getting at but if not I hope it will remind people the real measure of a physician is in their patients, not test scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
At any rate, usually the system will take care of the people who aren't competent enough to become a physician. Rarely, they will slip through the cracks.

As I was reading this, I kept thinking about all the threads from students being dismissed from school and residents being dismissed from residency and how, most of the time, the respondents to those threads stand behind the poster and tell them that everything will be ok and it wasn't really their fault, and so on and so forth.

I think the next time I read those threads I'm going to post the above quote, because it's very true.

As far as MD students having a low appreciation or respect for DO students because of one individual, I believe they will be enlightened when they witness the quality of care administered by a competent DO.

Just remember that half of everyone out there is below average intelligence. . . which half you fall in is just a flip of the coin.

Just remember that half of everyone out there is below average intelligence. . . which half you fall in is just a flip of the coin.

My political science teacher said that every day in class..hahaha

35% of immatriculants scored between 5-29. Make your own observation!

Attachments

• MCATscores.pdf
    179.2 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
its not what your job is but how you do it.

besides, without ******* peers how can you enjoy your days?

lol so true.

Be proud of whom you are to become. I know there are some students admitted to allopathic schools with an average score 21.5 on MCAT....
Just study hard and work hard!

What does an average score of 21.5 mean? Not really computing for me.

You're conflating the median with the average. Half of all people out there are below the median in intelligence, not the mean.

Sorry to be picky, but this is one of those sayings that is literally wrong and just won't seem to die. A surgeon guest lecturer once opened a presentation at our school by saying this, and frankly I quit listening as soon as the words left his mouth. I wasn't going to believe the rest of his statistics if he couldn't even be bothered to distinguish the median from the mean.

Last edited:
You're conflating the median with the average. Half of all people out there are below the median in intelligence, not the mean.

Sorry to be picky, but this is one of those sayings that is literally wrong and just won't seem to die. A surgeon guest lecturer once opened a presentation at our school by saying this, and frankly I quit listening as soon as the words left his mouth. I wasn't going to believe the rest of his statistics if he couldn't even be bothered to distinguish the median from the mean.

And you are conflating me with someone who gives a ****

Median is an average.

we have a guy with fragile x in my class. he beat me on the last exam so im still kind of pissed.

Dear OP,

Does it kill your classmates that some poor (probably a low tier Caribbean school that, maybe, 3 states accept) admissions committee somehow accepted you into their school?

Sincerely,
SDN.

Gpa and mcat don't mean Jack **** in med school. I'm proof of that.

For a population of ~6 billion, on an IQ scale of ~60 to ~140, differentiating between the mean and median is going to be like splitting hairs. Anyway...who cares? You know what they mean!

For a population of ~6 billion, on an IQ scale of ~60 to ~140, differentiating between the mean and median is going to be like splitting hairs. Anyway...who cares? You know what they mean!

Actually I think you meant "You know what they median."
Jeez, med students these days...

we have a guy with fragile x in my class. he beat me on the last exam so im still kind of pissed.

I'm sorry, but :laugh:

The biggest idiot I've ever met and worked with is a allopathic medical student who was accepted into his program via the SAT/high school early acceptance route. I've had attendings say "WTF?" to his face during rounds.

Just curious, but what kind of dumb **** did this guy do/say?