Not so good news

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is actually a thread on the residents forum about this. the article is right, turf wars are nothing new to medicine. There is a big one going on right now where I am between vascular surgery and interventional radiology.

But as far as ankle privileges being taken away in Texas, I doubt it will happen. It will be appealed and dragged out over the next few years and in the end, nothing will happen. You've got pods all over the country doing ankles and now, all of a sudden, they aren't qualified to do so in Texas??? On the other hand, this is why we need a national scope.

There is actually a thread on the residents forum about this. the article is right, turf wars are nothing new to medicine. There is a big one going on right now where I am between vascular surgery and interventional radiology.

But as far as ankle privileges being taken away in Texas, I doubt it will happen. It will be appealed and dragged out over the next few years and in the end, nothing will happen. You've got pods all over the country doing ankles and now, all of a sudden, they aren't qualified to do so in Texas??? On the other hand, this is why we need a national scope.

i think thats correct... if it gets appealed far enough i think the national supreme court would end up ruling and it seems theres no way they would take away ankle priveleges when virtually state in the rest of the nation allows pods to work with the ankle... it seems as more of a temporary setback

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to hear and thanks for the input

There is also a turf war here between Vascular and IR. It seems the that war only exsists between the hours of 7am - 5pm though. If there is a case over the weekend or late at night IR wants none of it. THe worst is when IR and vascular are both consulted, then the vascular resident wastes time to see a patient that will go to IR.

The ruling has nothing to do with if a pod can or can't actually do a procedure well. The folks of Texas as well as every state are free to make laws that limit professions and obviously they did.

So, I guess I have to agree with the decision. The foot is not the ankle and we as L/E experts should be the first to acknowledge that fact. The law is clear about where the Podiatry scope of practice is.

Is it BS? Absolutely. But the law is the law and the TMA is the largest in the entire country and pretty influential and I support the rights of Texas to legislate their Podiatrists and other occupations.

The ruling has nothing to do with if a pod can or can't actually do a procedure well. The folks of Texas as well as every state are free to make laws that limit professions and obviously they did.

So, I guess I have to agree with the decision. The foot is not the ankle and we as L/E experts should be the first to acknowledge that fact. The law is clear about where the Podiatry scope of practice is.

Is it BS? Absolutely. But the law is the law and the TMA is the largest in the entire country and pretty influential and I support the rights of Texas to legislate their Podiatrists and other occupations.

The only way we can establish ourselves properly is to achieve a universal scope of practice something in the line of florida or new jersey. When they make us study so hard in whole body and rotate in all specialities. then why shudnt we have a rational scope of practice like florida or New jersey.