Not so good...whats my luck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unique135

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA:3.78
sGPA:3.79
MCAT: 24M (Biology - 9/Verbal - 5 & 10)

I have some research & clinical activities with one publication in Diabetic medicine and one regular presentation.

One Scholarship from good institute

Dean's list once

I am not so optimistic...but wondering if there is any luck at US universities.

I am going to apply at caribbean schools but accreditation and licensure is bit mind-boggling and confusing at this point.

I am looking forward to practice in Texas as Family Physician.

With that in mind, I would appreciate if you guys can throw me some good US & Caribbean med schools ....

Much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well first off, you NEED to retake the MCAT. A 5 in VR isn't going to cut it, and since that's the only section you did bad on, it will be much easier to improve if you practice VR passages.

Secondly, you need to increase the amount of EC's on your list although what you have so far is definitely impressive.

You may want to try D.O., but again, with a 5 in VR your chancs are slim.

Yea man if you just practice a ton of VR there is no reason that you shouldn't get an 8-10. That will significantly increase your chances. So far from what I have got from these forums increasing your MCAT will def get you DO interview and if you pull above a 30 some decent MD's

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA:3.78
sGPA:3.79
MCAT: 24M (Biology - 9/Verbal - 5 & 10)

I have some research & clinical activities with one publication in Diabetic medicine and one regular presentation.

One Scholarship from good institute

Dean's list once

I am not so optimistic...but wondering if there is any luck at US universities.

I am going to apply at caribbean schools but accreditation and licensure is bit mind-boggling and confusing at this point.

I am looking forward to practice in Texas as Family Physician.

With that in mind, I would appreciate if you guys can throw me some good US & Caribbean med schools ....

Much appreciated :)
Dude?!! 3.79 does not = 24 it doesnt! What the hell was your major for you to get a high gpa and low mcat? They will look and see if you majored in dance or psycology with that high gpa and poor mcat. If you majored in something science heavy then take the mcat again its gotta be a fluke.

Dude?!! 3.79 does not = 24 it doesnt! What the hell was your major for you to get a high gpa and low mcat? They will look and see if you majored in dance or psycology with that high gpa and poor mcat. If you majored in something science heavy then take the mcat again its gotta be a fluke.

Chill out, bro. It happens.

But yes OP, you should change up your MCAT strategy and plan for a re-take.

Need an honest opinion!!!
gpa: 3.66 (bio/psych major)
sgpa: 3.5/high trend
I attempted mcats last summer but got a terrible 14!!!!!! I just cant do standardized tests!!! I took the kaplan course and preparing for the mcat in july. my average practice exam score is about 20. i am losing all hope for getting a good mcat score!!!!
I have plenty of other experiences:
5+ years volunteering - hospital and nursing home
3 shadowing experience: oncologist MD, podiatrist and a DO - getting 3 strong rec letters!
peer tutor
Student Government association - junior senator
elementary school special Ed tutor - math and science
2 years psychology research
1 year NJPIRG internship - community/social service
Resident assistant
Delta phi omega sorority
and other not so relevant experiences.

WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF GETTING INTO A MD SCHOOL IN US VS CARIBBEAN VS DO SCHOOL?

Thank You!!!

You can probably get a lot more advice if you made your own thread in this forum.

I finished BSc Biology with Honours. Last two years, I had taken hardcore courses.

I got few excuses for low MCAT score: Immigrant and had heavy fight with GF on the exam day. Otherwise, I used to get 32+ on practices exams from aamc, examcrackers and berkeley.

I am trying my luck at caribbeans regardless. Thanks a lot guys