Not sure about this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothfairy777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Michigan resident with a 3.75 overall, a 3.8 science, a 17 AA, but a 22 PAT. I am a student athlete and I was wondering what my chances are of getting in at Michigan. Also, Does any one know when Michigan is starting to offer interviews/ host interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Michigan resident with a 3.75 overall, a 3.8 science, a 17 AA, but a 22 PAT. I am a student athlete and I was wondering what my chances are of getting in at Michigan. Also, Does any one know when Michigan is starting to offer interviews/ host interviews?

For an idea of when Michigan typically starts sending out invites, I suggest searching for last year's Michigan c/o 2017 thread.

A 17AA is really low, especially for accepted students. The average accepted scores was almost a 20 last year. I'm assuming you have sections below a score of 17? I think that maybe you will need a retake. Your GPA is awesome and being a student athlete makes you very well-rounded; however, these scores can really hold you back.

Thanks for the advice, it is just really frustrating to think about studying again because my PAT is pretty good. Do you have any study advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice, it is just really frustrating to think about studying again because my PAT is pretty good. Do you have any study advice?

study advice is written all over the DAT discussion section.

Absolutely. The first two links in my signature have everything you could possibly need! :)

I'm going to be honest: Your PAT is pretty good, but not "out of this world." Lots of schools don't seem to even value it that much, honestly. I get the feeling that they just don't want you to bomb it. You need to aim for at least an average AA and TS. With your GPA, that seems like something that you should be more than able to accomplish!

I don't know if this is true, but according to my close friend who is a D1 right now at Michigan, the cutoff for the overall AA on the DAT is a 19, so 17 would not make the cut.

Also, I did a huge research project that will be getting published... I wish that score didn't have such weight....

The reason I ask is because your subscores is what they look at and we can give better advice with those in hand

Also, I did a huge research project that will be getting published... I wish that score didn't have such weight....

The DAT is the great equalizer... it's something that we all have to take. Schools range in how difficult it is to make good grades. The DAT, theoretically, remains the same difficulty. It's one of the best ways for schools to *truly* compare applicants, so that's why it's so important! How long did you study? Did you use the right materials? I am sure you can improve.

Also depends on what your TS score is. I know a guy who got into Michigan with a score of 15 on PAT. He had 20s for AA and TS though.

I don't know if this is true, but according to my close friend who is a D1 right now at Michigan, the cutoff for the overall AA on the DAT is a 19, so 17 would not make the cut.

Your friend could be right. On the other hand, the AA range for his class was 16-24.

I used Kaplan and I studied for two months 6 hours a day three days a week. I feel like the Kaplan didn't help. I took the test after my sophomore year, so I did not complete Biochem, physics, or developmental bio. I think I might try crack the DAT.

I used Kaplan and I studied for two months 6 hours a day three days a week. I feel like the Kaplan didn't help. I took the test after my sophomore year, so I did not complete Biochem, physics, or developmental bio. I think I might try crack the DAT.

You really should check out the DAT section, it is very helpful. If you used better resources and upped your study time to 5 or 6 days a week, you surely could crack 20 on the test.

What does not completing physics have to do with success, or lack thereof, on the DAT? Same with biochem and developmental bio to an extent... Go look at the DAT discussions section and you can find plenty of tips for what is/what isn't a good resource. From what I've heard, crack DAT science isn't very good.