Just got diagnosed with tendonitis in the middle of the quarter... not sure what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1087698

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so I don't really know how this forum works, sorry for any mistakes. I am a second year pre-dental student at community college and hoping to graduate and transfer this spring. I have just diagnosed with tendonitis in my left hand which limits my ability to perform 100% in my classes. My doctor advised me to give my hand rest, but during the middle of the quarter, it is not possible. Therefore I have 2 options either to drop ochem 2 (I'm taking ochem 2, bio 2, and humanities) with a W or to continue with the potential of getting a bad grade and not giving rest to my hand. I currently have no Ws and have a 4.0 GPA, but I am afraid that having a W will reduce my chances of getting into dental school and will delay my transfer to a 4 year university, or if I push my hand too hard the tendonitis could become bad. Please help, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, health is the most important thing. I believe your tendonitis wouldn't only affect your ochem2 grades but also your other parts of your application. I would say a W wouldn't affect you much. I got into dental school with a W as well. If you are concerned with the W, you can write about that in the application.

Reactions: 3 users
You might want to check with your schools resources office. They tend to have services to accommodate students who have injuries or other disabilities. Obviously, this isn't a long term disability, but they may be able to provide you with someone who could write notes for you and what not!

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, health is the most important thing. I believe your tendonitis wouldn't only affect your ochem2 grades but also your other parts of your application. I would say a W wouldn't affect you much. I got into dental school with a W as well. If you are concerned with the W, you can write about that in the application.
I think you are right, health should be my first priority. it's just getting harder to keep up in class with this condition. But thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't worry about a W. I had one and I never got asked about it.

A few W's will NOT affect your chance, especially if it was due to health concerns.

I know. I've been there. I have several due to my past health issues, and I'm in.

Are you a lefty? I spent all of my school years with much worse chronic arthritic issues in my hands and feet. Many times I couldn't write or walk to classes. It has gotten much better now to be able to perform in dentistry, but my point is, if it is bearable, you should continue with school and not waste time. Obviously, if it is unbearable, then yes, you should consider taking the leave of absence.

A few W's will NOT affect your chance, especially if it was due to health concerns.

I know. I've been there. I have several due to my past health issues, and I'm in.

Are you a lefty? I spent all of my school years with much worse chronic arthritic issues in my hands and feet. Many times I couldn't write or walk to classes. It has gotten much better now to be able to perform in dentistry, but my point is, if it is bearable, you should continue with school and not waste time. Obviously, if it is unbearable, then yes, you should consider taking the leave of absence.
HI, thanks for the reply. Yes, I am a lefty, I should have mentioned this in the post. But yes, I decided to continue with the classes, it is certainly not easy but I am willing to give it a try till the deadline for W. If everything goes well then I will continue the classes.