( not sure if I post this here?) I'm a premed on the interview trail. What does time off as an attending look like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A full 1 day off a week? Yikes.
Im just realizing it sounds like 1 day off a week rather than 3 days total including Sat/Sun ( but is most likely actually 3 days off a week)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A full 1 day off a week? Yikes.
Im just realizing it sounds like 1 day off a week rather than 3 days total including Sat/Sun ( but is most likely actually 3 days off a week)

Her office is always closed Sat/Sun, as many private practices are. In addition, she takes off at least 1 weekday each week during Ramadan.

• Love
Her office is always closed Sat/Sun, as many private practices are. In addition, she takes off at least 1 weekday each week during Ramadan.
I mean 4 day work weeks are pretty common but I guess it's a different story with ob/gyn...

Members don't see this ad :)
As you may know, in predominantly Muslim countries, almost everything is closed during the day during Ramadan and clinics, etc are open after dark.

If a gynecologist had a clinic based practice with no obstetrics, it would be reasonable to have office hours and procedures scheduled 4 days per week for one month of the year and 5 (or even 6) days/wk the rest of the year. It might be more difficult for patients to get an appointment and it might reduce the clinic's income but I would think that it is feasible if one is willing to take a hit in the paycheck that month.

Reactions: 2 users
As you may know, in predominantly Muslim countries, almost everything is closed during the day during Ramadan and clinics, etc are open after dark.

If a gynecologist had a clinic based practice with no obstetrics, it would be reasonable to have office hours and procedures scheduled 4 days per week for one month of the year and 5 (or even 6) days/wk the rest of the year. It might be more difficult for patients to get an appointment and it might reduce the clinic's income but I would think that it is feasible if one is willing to take a hit in the paycheck that month.
Thank you. I was a little hurt how ppl seemed to think how outrageous it was that I would want reduced hours during Ramzan if I can help it, ( and before then use as much vacation time, whatever flexibility or lighter rotation I can get) when it's something totally normal in Muslim countries. Thank you for pointing that out.

Wrong place to post. You are wayyy too far out to be worrying about this.
Im going to make the argument that they aren't.
Computer science students worry about salary, time off, benefits etc. All other undergraduate students do too. It'd be pretty silly to not worry about those things.

Im going to make the argument that they aren't.
Computer science students worry about salary, time off, benefits etc. All other undergraduate students do too. It'd be pretty silly to not worry about those things.
OP isnt in medical school yet, much less took Step. Its too soon to be worried about things so in the weeds. I did the same when I was a pre-med so I can relate to OP but knowing what I know I think its too soon to be worried about this type of stuff.

Thank you. I was a little hurt how ppl seemed to think how outrageous it was that I would want reduced hours during Ramzan if I can help it, ( and before then use as much vacation time, whatever flexibility or lighter rotation I can get) when it's something totally normal in Muslim countries. Thank you for pointing that out.
It's fairly common for physicians to take reduced workloads so I don't think it's a problem. Unfortunately as women we tend to have to sacrifice work more due to the way society is structured. Heck, I'll definitely be working part time if I have children until they're school aged.

OP isnt in medical school yet, much less took Step. Its too soon to be worried about things so in the weeds. I did the same when I was a pre-med so I can relate to OP but knowing what I know I think its too soon to be worried about this type of stuff.
I agree it's too soon to be *worried* but it's not too soon to be educated upon these things. It would help OP get a running start on specialties that may or may not allow for this flexibility.