not sure if speeding ticket is misdemeanor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Fuzzball500

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I submitted my secondaries for a few DO schools already and have checked off no for misdemeanors since I am not a criminal. Worst thing I've done is speed 2 or 3 times.

However, I noticed that VCOM asks if I have ever had a speeding ticket or misdemeanor... Now I'm concerned that my secondaries that I have filled out make it seem that I am lying about my speeding tickets. I had no idea that some schools consider them as misdemeanors. Should I call the schools I already sent out secondaries to and let them know?
 
no chill out it's OK

some speeding tickets are misdemeanors in some states, if you are going too fast, they may be considered wreckless driving which can be more than a civil penalty

if as far as you are aware your speeding tickets were not misdemeanors, I would not think twice about it
 
no chill out it's OK

some speeding tickets are misdemeanors in some states, if you are going too fast, they may be considered wreckless driving which can be more than a civil penalty

if as far as you are aware your speeding tickets were not misdemeanors, I would not think twice about it

So do i tell VCOM that I got speeding tickets? how much detail should I include in my explanation?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just let the sleeping dog lie

how many tickets was it? how long ago?
I got a speeding ticket 2 years ago for going 15 over and then another one like 6 years ago for going 30 over. Went in front of a judge to lower the sentence and paid a fine nothing more happened. I guess just leave it alone?
 
You can contact the schools if you want to clarify, but it's unlikely this would be a serious deal. They'll be more interested in how you've changed your behavior since then. On the scale of criminal histories that applicants (and accepted students) have, this is a non-issue.
 
So I submitted my secondaries for a few DO schools already and have checked off no for misdemeanors since I am not a criminal. Worst thing I've done is speed 2 or 3 times.

However, I noticed that VCOM asks if I have ever had a speeding ticket or misdemeanor... Now I'm concerned that my secondaries that I have filled out make it seem that I am lying about my speeding tickets. I had no idea that some schools consider them as misdemeanors. Should I call the schools I already sent out secondaries to and let them know?

1. Find out if your driving tickets are misdemeanors
2. If a secondary asks for misdemeanors, or speeding tickets, answer truthfully.
3. Even if you did have to report it, its fairly minor.
 
1. Find out if your driving tickets are misdemeanors
2. If a secondary asks for misdemeanors, or speeding tickets, answer truthfully.
3. Even if you did have to report it, its fairly minor.
1. Find out if your driving tickets are misdemeanors
2. If a secondary asks for misdemeanors, or speeding tickets, answer truthfully.
3. Even if you did have to report it, its fairly minor.
Most speeding tickets are infractions in NY, but certain ones are misdemeanors. Definitely check to be sure you’re in the clear.
If it turns out I find that i do have one, which i dont think i do, should i call the schools i already submitted my secondaries to and let them know?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad