Not Sure What To Do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tangerine1584

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I'm already in my last semester at grad school (2 year program), I would like some help/opinions/advice and I am not very close with my pre-med advisor at my undergraduate school (it's been over a year since I've really spoken to her in detail.).

So basically, applied to 20 schools and got one interview. MCAT=33P (V=12, B=10, P=11). My total GPA for undergrad is 3.48 and my BCPM is 3.68. My graduate gpa is decent but my master's degree is in a social science/humanity so I don't think that should be very influential. Mainly my undergrad GPA is a bit lower because I transferred to another school for my sophomore year and had a bad experience (didn't fit in at the school and hated my major). I ended up going back to my original school, but that year dropped my GPA. Otherwise it would be a bit higher. Without that year, my GPA would be around 3.6-3.7 and my BCPM would be at 3.9. I never explained that year in my personal statement. My undergrad school is good, within the top 40 according to U.S. News and my master's degree (albeit not science) will be from Harvard and is considered a good program for that field.

I believe my ECs are good, although I was not clear about how much clinical/experience with physicians I did get. I know I should do a better job on description for those. Two summers of public health type research, two summers of science/health teaching (in disadvantaged neighborhoods and also at a museum), volunteered at a hospice, was trained as a rape crisis/domestic violence peer counselor/advocate, and a bunch of leadership stuff. I also work now along with attending school but not medically related. I did do lab research when I was in high school but did not like it. I did it for two summers: one at a university and another at a top cancer institute. But since I didn't like it, I avoided lab research in college. I'm not interested in doing a ton of lab research as a doctor and I am much more interested in public health.

Most of the schools I applied to were excellent, meaning long shots. So I did not expect a ton of interviews. Plus I applied very late and I didn't actually like my PS. Finished AMCAS mid/late October and also submitted a bunch of secondaries very close or on their deadlines. The one interview I did get was at Duke and I know that I did not do a good job. Ironic because I know that from interviews with other programs/internships, I'm actually good at interviewing. I got too psyched out, nervous, etc. Anyways I was rejected.

So I have several concerns:
1. I only got one interview and will ask that school for advice. However, I would like to ask at least one other, but where else should I ask and is it good to ask a school I didn't even interview at for advice?

2. I think I am going to retake the MCAT. But I am not sure if I should. I know my score is not bad and my verbal is a good enough score. But I was a bit lazy on studying when I first took it and I think I could improve my biological and physical sections. I have a date reserved (5/31) and I do have some time to study. But will improving my score help me at all?

3. Also, I know applying so late was stupid and made a difference in my application. Does anyone know how much applying late can effect an application? Because I am trying to decide whether to start applying again this summer but I am unsure if my application will be improved enough. If my lack of getting interviews is due to things like getting in the app late or a lackluster PS then I know I can work on that and still have AMCAS in early. But if my problem is GPA, or LOR then I will need more time.

4. Plus did my lack of lab research kill my app? If so, I would suck it up and do some. But I am not even that interested in that type of research long term!

5. Another thing is should I mention that difficult year in my PS? I didn't want to sound whiny so I didn't explain anything this time around. It was really due to a combo of a difficult family situation, hated my major (which I changed after that year, I was an engineering major at the time), and didn't adjust well to the school I transferred to.

any advice would be helpful. thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

The advantage to applying early cannot be overstated.

I think not applying early and broadly hurt you the most. I probably wouldn't retake the MCAT since it is a good score already. You can talk about the difficult year in your PS since it affected your grades. If you have an upward trend, it helps to show the reason why you didn't do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
A few things:
1. Do not retake the MCAT. It is not the reason you had trouble with your application.
2. Did you apply mostly to "prestige" med schools? These schools are generally very research oriented, and lack of such will make it more difficult for you to get an interview. If you are clinically oriented, then apply to schools that are better known for that, rather than research.
3. Did you apply to a broad range of schools in terms of their competitiveness for admission? This is just as important as applying early. I suspect that you applied to a lot of schools where you were not a competitive candidate.

to the OP:

wow, we look like twin candidates - grad degree at Harvard, undergrad at top 40 school, 33 mcat, 3.48ish GPA, hating lab research and interest in public health...the only thing that differs is the science GPA (which is higher for you) - I definitely agree with the other posters that applying early is critical, I'm on track to start my AMCAS in May and finish it June 1 - and also, I've purposely categorized my list into 'tiers' of selectivity so I don't overload at any one level

but the fact you got an interview at Duke is very encouraging...best of luck mate!

i tried to post a reply earlier but i don't know what happened. oh well.

thanks to everyone who replied.

good to hear another Harvard grad student is applying! i'm actually finishing up at the Divinity School. I know some people at KSG, mostly graduated last year, but all were cool. i think that tiers of selectivity idea is great. good luck to you!

i did apply mostly to research and high selective schools. but i also applied to a handful of schools i should have been more competitive at. however, as most have indicated, i applied so late that it would have been difficult for me to get an interview. i will definitely apply early and much more broadly next time around.

in terms of selection of schools, it just was difficult for me to decide where to apply since i am interested in clinical work but also in public health research. it was actually kind of ironic i got an interview at duke because it was my first choice. i liked the md/mph program they have.

in terms of my mcat, i know i am being crazy in being disappointed in a 33P. however, i definitely felt like i did not study as much as i should have and i had a 37/38 average on my practices. it just doesn't sit well with me knowing that i could have done better and that a better score could help my application. but i will definitely think hard about taking it again, considering how annoyingly long and difficult it is.

thanks for the advice! i really appreciate it.