"nothing after midnight" for 730AM start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aneftp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some patients just think every meal is their last meal.

OB/GYN's office told patient not to eat anything after midnight. We got 730AM start for hysterectomy.

5'2 258 pound woman, DM, HTN, PVD patient literally says she's had bacon and eggs at 1150PM. Is she an idiot? Are patients this dumb? Or just follow directions to the T.

I don't think patients take NPO seriously.

Who the heck eats bacon and eggs at that time before their surgery the next day? Sure her digestive system isn't the greatest to began with. Just going to delay case for 15 minutes before bringing her into room.

Just annoyed to start the day.

Members don't see this ad.

Some patients just think every meal is their last meal.

OB/GYN's office told patient not to eat anything after midnight. We got 730AM start for hysterectomy.

5'2 258 pound woman, DM, HTN, PVD patient literally says she's had bacon and eggs at 1150PM. Is she an idiot? Are patients this dumb? Or just follow directions to the T.

I don't think patients take NPO seriously.

Who the heck eats bacon and eggs at that time before their surgery the next day? Sure her digestive system isn't the greatest to began with. Just going to delay case for 15 minutes before bringing her into room.

Just annoyed to start the day.

there is definitely a psychological component to being told you cant eat or drink anything after a certain time. Im surprised you havent seen more of this. As far as your delay until 750 thats probably just as ridiculous.

there is definitely a psychological component to being told you cant eat or drink anything after a certain time. Im surprised you havent seen more of this. As far as your delay until 750 thats probably just as ridiculous.

Of course I've seen this before. Just annoyed this morning at everything. Just wanted to vent. Woke up, Bear (thought it was a raccoon at first but neighbors saw bear last night) had gotten into trash and flung everything in the lawn.

Case went fine. Put her to sleep at 755am. However, did suctioned 300 cc of liquid out of her stomach.

Members don't see this ad :)
I get that you're venting but if you're joe schmoe with no medical knowledge and you're told nothing to eat after midnight, then I really can't fault you for eating bacon and eggs at 11:50. Most people don't get why they are even asked to be NPO. They think it has something to do with the actual surgery itself. Can't blame her. She was hungry- she followed the rules.

Oh, I see this every day. I am in the gastric bypass room a lot, so I see this behavior amongst the beached whale population.

Of course I've seen this before. Just annoyed this morning at everything. Just wanted to vent. Woke up, Bear (thought it was a raccoon at first but neighbors saw bear last night) had gotten into trash and flung everything in the lawn.

Case went fine. Put her to sleep at 755am. However, did suctioned 300 cc of liquid out of her stomach.

That's why I use H2 Blocker and Metoclopramide preoperatively REGULARLY in these types of individuals. You can't be too careful out there.

While the ASA doesn't endorse or promote the use of these dugs I highly recommend them and truly believe they will save your ass one day (not to mention keeping the patient out of the ICU).

That's why I use H2 Blocker and Metoclopramide preoperatively REGULARLY in these types of individuals. You can't be too careful out there.

While the ASA doesn't endorse or promote the use of these dugs I highly recommend them and truly believe they will save your ass one day (not to mention keeping the patient out of the ICU).

I don't think NPO times mean anything. I suction every patient I do an echo on, it's amazing how much stuff is in people's stomachs despite being NPO.

Yup I had a guy aspirate after PPF induction. Pacu nurse made him confess to the cup of coffee prior to surgery. Pt's sister slapped him :)

That's why I use H2 Blocker and Metoclopramide... You can't be too careful out there.
Do you take the Pepcid and reglan yourself or give it to the bear? I can see it both ways because both eating trash and picking it up can be nauseating.