Notifying top programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makesomerheum

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Over the past few weeks, I have written to my top 6 places thanking them for a great interview and telling them they are one of my top places; and I plan to rank them very highly. Now, I have been warned not to show to much special interest to more than my top 3 but am not sure what special interest really means. Did I break match etiquette by saying my favorite 6 were in the top? What do I say to my top 3 places at this point? Is there a key phrase? I have no guidance and am starting to receive phone calls from places, and I don't know what to say. Yikes. Last things I want to do is offend a PD and not match at all.

Members don't see this ad.

i think it depends on how many programs you are ranking. if you rank 15 and tell the #1 they are first, and 2-5 they are highly ranked i think that is reasonable. (after all, the top third is high in my mind). i (personally) wouldn't use that phrasing for the rest, but still would express interest. if you're ranking 10 programs, maybe telling the top 3 the magic phrase would be appropriate.

i think if you take the further step and say"i plan to rank you number 1" then the PD knows you are planning to rank them 1st. and if you do that, make sure you really do rank them first and only tell that program that particular phrase.

i think the phrase "i plan to rank you highly" for most program directors mean very little -- b/c really it could mean anywhere from#2 on down. if anything, i think it points out to them that you don't plan on ranking them 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I have been reading on these forums from EM attendings and PDs programs will rank you based on their own methods and regardless of what you tell them. So if a program really likes you, they will rank you #1 regardless if you send them an email telling them that you will rank them #1 or "highly" or nothing at all. Correct me if I'm wrong about this. If I'm right, then what is the point of sending them an email/letter telling them were you ranked them on your ROL anyway?

From what I have been reading on these forums from EM attendings and PDs programs will rank you based on their own methods and regardless of what you tell them. So if a program really likes you, they will rank you #1 regardless if you send them an email telling them that you will rank them #1 or "highly" or nothing at all. Correct me if I'm wrong about this. If I'm right, then what is the point of sending them an email/letter telling them were you ranked them on your ROL anyway?

There was a discussion about this is a previous thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=487113

I think the consensus is that you should tell your top programs that they are high on your list.

There was a discussion about this is a previous thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=487113

I think the consensus is that you should tell your top programs that they are high on your list.

Ok thanks for the reply. I guess it cannot hurt to send them an email stating that they are #1 on you list, although I really don't think that most PDs take it into any sort of consideration. Good luck to everyone in the match.

I don't think it's important to tell a program they're #1. It's more important to tell them WHY they're #1. Is there something special about the program? Do you have geographic limitations? Do you have a special interest in one of their faculty? Do they have research you're interested in? Did you rotate there/know alumni?

I believe (and i'm just a student, so what do I know) that just saying "hey, PD your program is #1 on my list" is ok, and the PD might write you back with an email that says all the right things and you may feel better, but it did nothing to change where you are on their rank list.

You're better off just watching more ESPN and playing Playstation

Do you think it's bad if you emailed the PD at your #1 informing of their position on your ROL and then not get a reply at all?

Do you think it's bad if you emailed the PD at your #1 informing of their position on your ROL and then not get a reply at all?

I kind of assume and expect them not to respond. I have not had a response yet to any of my thank you letters. I just think about it logically. PDs are extremely busy at this time of the year and probably get dozens of emails per day and cannot possibly be expected to respond to all of them. I emailed my #1 program and told them why I favored their program. Just don't take it personally if they don't respond. Try to relax.