NOVA-COM Info Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mompremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those going to NOVA-COM, does Florida have a tuition reimbursement/payment plan for people who work in an underserved area? If so, do you have to be a state resident before starting med school? What are the particulars (how much, fulfillment requirements, etc.)?

The reason I'm asking is that my mother lives in Florida and is getting pretty frail. I didn't know NOVA-COM accepted out-of-state residents and finding that they apparently do, it would be nice if I could be near her during this last portion of her life. (She's 70 and has emphysema.) BUT the tuition is so high at DO schools and I want to work in an underserved area anyway, but I want to choose where I work and the state programs usually allow you to. Kansas and Missouri do anyway, don't know about the others.

Any help/info on this is greatly appreciated!

Catherine Anderson
UHS 2006 (Possibly, unless there's a chance I can relocate to Florida!)

Members don't see this ad.

Look into the National Health Service Corp Scholarship Program.... They'll pay for you to go to school, but the same amount of years that they pay equals the same amount of years you have to serve them. You do have a limited amount of choice as to location.... Depending on the "needs basis."

Search the forum for "National Health Service Corp" or "NHSC".... Good luck and I hope you find some more answers.

Hi Ms.Anderson, Poppy is right with the scholarship. At the same time you can also trying contacting the NSU AREA HEALTH EDUCATION CENTER (AHEC) PROGRAM that run rual clinics in florida. NSU's AHEC office might be able to help you. The number there is: Phone: (954) 262-1588 and you can ask for Steven B. Zucker, D.M.D., M.Ed., Assoc. Dean for Community Affairs & AHEC Director

Good Luck to you! AJC

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the regional Program consultant contact for the National Health Service Corp:

James Friday, DMD - Region IV
HRSA South East Field Office
Atlanta Federal Center
60 Forsth Street
South West, Suite 3M60
Atlanta, GA 30303
Ph: 404 562-4170
Fax: 404 562-79999
Region IV: AL, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN

Okay, I gave you this info to ask this particular person how often there is a spot in FL for the NHSC. NHSC is on a need basis of rural area.... so how close you are to your mother will depend on whether or not NHSC has a spot opening in the area you want.

Truly wishing you luck :cool:

Thanks for the help. I will call the AHEC office next week. I was particularly interested in a state program as they usually give more freedom of choice (although they don't pay as well, so it's tradeoff.) I will post any info I get for those who are interested.

Thanks again,

Catherine Anderson

Post away, Catherine!!! I'd be interested to know and thanks as well!!! :cool:

I might be mistaken, but I think I heard Dr. Sivagni, the dean at Nova, talk of a program where if you work in an underserved area in Florida as a primary care for two years, that Nova will pay your tuition or something like that. Some new program that they have in conjunction with the state. Call Fern and see if she can't get you im touch with him or someone else that may help you. Good luck.