Nova dental School (D.O & DMD dual degree)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkim159753

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to learn more about the D.O./ DMD collaborative degree at Nova. I know that oral surgery is really competitive to specialize in if you do the regular four years and then try to specialize. Is it easier to become an oral surgeon if you do this dual degree? I don't know how it would work if you have a dental and doctors degree. Do you have to apply for specialty like other dentist or can you just apply for residency as an oral surgeon (and is this easier)?

I'm trying to decide on which school to attend, and this seem like a really good program. I don't know too much about how this program works though..

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt this would have much bearing, if any, on an admittance to OMFS programs. I think that program was designed for people who were interested in practicing in extremely remote regions, though I can't say I've heard of anyone on here pursuing the program. If OMFS is your end game, just go to dental school, do well in your classes, shadow/volunteer in the OS dept at your school, participate in externships on your breaks, and as a last resort complete a year long internship. Even with the year long internship, you'd still spend less time doing it the "traditional" way than completing the DMD/DO degree (it's 7 years, right?)