Nova DO School Tier

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LondonVibes

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have an interview on 3/24 for Nova DO. Considering its the only school I'm alive at, I'll take it if I get in. But I was curious, what tier of DO would Nova be?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview coming up as well. I see a lot of hate for NOVA and some concerning anecdotes, but the locations are great and the actual match list doesn't look too bad.

Can anyone actually comment on their experience here?

When it comes to DO schools there are State schools (TCOM, PCOM, OSUCOM, MSUCOM)> Established schools( KCUCOM, Nova, basically all other DO schools) > brand new schools or schools that have matched less than a few classes. But honestly, DO schools are not really ranked in a tier because it does not matter. The few bad things I hear about NOVA are lots of transitional years matched in the past, and diverting resources to their MD school, but I can not comment on either since I do not know much about the issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no such thing as "tiers" when it comes to medical schools. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying or tries to make themselves feel better about which school they attend.

There are "better" schools than others, but residency directors all see them the same.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
A DO is a DO...and this cycle has been really something else. That said, NOVA has a number of issues.
From what I've read on this forum, they are like NYITCOM, once a lot more reputable, but now has over expanded with higher attrition.

It's definitely interesting they offer a 3 year DPM to DO track, lol.

A DO is a DO...and this cycle has been really something else. That said, NOVA has a number of issues.
From what I've read on this forum, they are like NYITCOM, once a lot more reputable, but now has over expanded with higher attrition.

It's definitely interesting they offer a 3 year DPM to DO track, lol.
I didn't know about the DPM to DO track. That's interesting, and I just wonder why no one thought of that before.

Reactions: 1 user
All DO schools fall within the same tier, and it’s the one immediately below that of the least desirable US MD schools. Choose a school whose geographic region is one you wouldn’t mind doing your residency training in, whose on-time graduation rate is high, and whose rotation sites don’t all suck.

All DO schools are the same reputation wise when a program director sees your app.

Although I would say that some DO schools have way better research opportunities and rotations that would put you ahead of your DO peers from newer schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Would you mind going into more detail? Thank you
Two of the four last years have declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. The last two years for which we have data are in the low 90s. They still have yet to post data for the 2019-20 cycle, which is fishy. Some 7% of their 2018 grads failed to match, ditto 4% of their Class of 2019. There are also signs of significant delay to graduation in these numbers. That’s still not good for a veteran school. I’d expect > 95% pass rates and match rates closer to 100%. These problems are you expect from a new school. Something is very wrong there. See: Residency Match Data and COMLEX Level 3 Board Scores | NSU COM

Two of the four last years have declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. The last two years for which we have data are in the low 90s. They still have yet to post data for the 2019-20 cycle, which is fishy. Some 7% of their 2018 grads failed to match, ditto 4% of their Class of 2019. There are also signs of significant delay to graduation in these numbers. That’s still not good for a veteran school. I’d expect > 95% pass rates and match rates closer to 100%. These problems are you expect from a new school. Something is very wrong there. See: Residency Match Data and COMLEX Level 3 Board Scores | NSU COM

Thank you for that information. Those stats are certainly something to think about for all schools.

So you're saying Harvard = NEOMED when it comes to applying for residency? Maybe you were referring to osteopathic medical schools are all the same. This is true except the state DO schools tend to make up the majority of competitive matches (ENT, Urology, etc) since they have most opportunities or their own GME.
Yes, I obviously meant osteopathic schools since the was the about osteopathic medical schools asked in the pre-DO thread.

I guess I could have been more clear when I said “medical schools” though.

Equally, though, most of those competitive matches from “state” schools are matched to their own school. So even then, everyone else is seen in the same light by residency directors who apply outside their home institutions.

anon, you actually have to try in order to fail boards. just don't show up high to class all the time and you have a fighting chance. run from low board pass rates.

So you're saying Harvard = NEOMED when it comes to applying for residency? Maybe you were referring to osteopathic medical schools are all the same. This is true except the state DO schools tend to make up the majority of competitive matches (ENT, Urology, etc) since they have most opportunities or their own GME.
christ stoppppppppp. this argument is annoying and never ends.

I didn't know about the DPM to DO track. That's interesting, and I just wonder why no one thought of that before.
From my understanding there is an unspoken path that is similar at DMU. However this comes from a colleague and friend who graduated when I was 6. lol

So I have an interview on 3/24 for Nova DO. Considering its the only school I'm alive at, I'll take it if I get in. But I was curious, what tier of DO would Nova be?

So I cannot speak from experience and this is only what a friend has told me regarding NOVA.

This individual said that once they switched deans that the school began to go downhill. She said one of her classmates needed to take a leave of absence because his father passed away and the new dean threw a fit about it and terminated the student from the school. (Sounds like a scene from a horror movie so I am not completely convinced this happened but I also don't know why she would come up with such a wild story).

• Wow
Their board scores and match rate simply aren't very good. Agreed that despite what some people try to claim there aren't really "tiers" when it comes to DO schools.

Get choosey when you have choices. Instead of focusing on the negatives that exist to some degree, focus on why you’d be excited to attend there and/or live in the area. Someone there thinks you might have the chops to be a doctor so prove them right! Good luck on your interview.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
If you have choices, I would pick another school. If you don't have choices, and don't want to wait another year to improve your application, then yes you will become some type of doctor if you successfully graduate Nova. I thought the tuition was on the higher side when I attended however it is absolutely outrageous now and would require matching into a high paying specialty to make the experience worthwhile.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed at NOVA last year and it all seemed really nice, but the cost was devastating. On top of the low board scores and so many schools in the surrounding, I would pass unless it is really the only school you get in too. If it was the only school that had accepted me I think I would of ate the debt and attended. Best of luck tho.

Reactions: 1 users