NOVA (first week)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOit

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to an email I got today:
FIRST DAY OF ORIENTATION (required for all 2004 Entering Class
students) will be MONDAY, AUGUST 2, 2004.
WHITE COAT CEREMONY for the 2004 Entering Class will be
SUNDAY, AUGUST 8, 2004 (location and time to be announced). FIRST DAY OF CLASSES for Fall 2004 will be MONDAY, AUGUST 9,

:clap: :horns:

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome! Looking forward to meeting you underclasspersons on August.

BTW----you will be told MANY MANY times to call the school NSU or Nova Souteastern University. The medical school was originally Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine, as started by our late Chancellor Terry. In wanting to keep the heritage of our beginnings, the school emphasizes the importance of including the "Southeastern" part of the name when you are talking about the school. So, NSU is much easier to say than the Nova Southeastern University. Trust me, you will get that over and over during orientation week. Just thought you might want to start practicing now...it took me well over a semester to stop saying Nova. :D

I still remember during my tour the students constantly reminding me to say NSU and not NOVA. I live in the fort lauderdale area, so it is difficult to refer to NOVA as NSU! During my interview i kept saying NOVA, NOVA, NOVA LOL! I thought I screwed up big time! I guess not! I will get used to it eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, Nova/NSU---we all kind of laugh about it especially when someone from upper administration says Nova to us during a Dean's Hour!!

Do you remember who your tour guides were???

I remember my oreintation week at NSUCOM (wow almost 5 years ago). IT was a lot of fun, very scary, but fun. Take lots of pictures! Now that I look back on it, its amazing how much I've grown and changed since I started medical school. It was such an exciting time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q, DO

I wish orientation week were tomorrow! Cant wait for school to start. I dont remember the names of my tour guides. But they were very nice people. Everyone at N S U was extremely friendly! All students were willing to help and give their insights.

:D

hey are there exams every week at NSU or do u get breaks like one or two weeks off?

Originally posted by DoctorInSpace
Awesome! Looking forward to meeting you underclasspersons on August.

BTW----you will be told MANY MANY times to call the school NSU or Nova Souteastern University. The medical school was originally Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine, as started by our late Chancellor Terry.

Holy crap - did he pass away? He interviewed me last year. I liked him - even though he sweated me during the interview.

Yes, Chancellor Morton Terry passed away a few months ago. He had lived a long, full life into his 80's, and had accomplished so much in his medical career. We at NSU are obviously most thankful for him started the medical school to begin with. There was a big memorial service at the school and lots of alumni and other physicians came to pay their respects.

I don't believe we have a new chancellor at this point......but I could be wrong.

He interviewed lots of people and talked to us during orientation. Sorry to inform you over SDN.......i guess you would have found out in August anyway.

Getting emails from Dr. Chaffin always puts me in a good mood.

Hello to all my future classmates! Looking forward to meeting all of you. How soon is everyone moving to Davie? I'm wondering if any of the M2's will be hosting any icebreakers the week before classes begin?!

While I'm thinking of it, I want to play as much tennis as possible, since I will soon be able to play outside year round. I'm a beginner, but working to get better! Fellow tennis lovers; buenos dias!

-NS

NotShorty,

Don't you worry about ice breakers---you will have plenty of opportunities orientation to hang out w/some M2s. I'm sure we will be setting up some parties, or other events for everyone. If you haven't heard of Osteoblast yet.....you will. Party on the beach, usually w/faculty and the dean as well.

We will all be looking forward to greeting you new M1s!!

i am trying to call nova to make sure they received my check . no one is answering. does anyone have a phone number that I can try??

To all my 2008'ers,
when is everyone moving down there?? I think I'm moving in June (Pending I find a place to live). Anyway, just curious. And if anyone needs a beach buddy, I'd be happy to go play in the ocean waves (considering I have seen and felt snow and freezing winds for the past few months). It'll be cool to finally meet all you. peace:cool:

healthymom-did you call 1800 356 0026 ext. 1101. I called today and they told me that they got my check. They also told me that for future deposits you can simply call and give them your credit card.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still remember during my tour the students constantly reminding me to say NSU and not NOVA. I live in the fort lauderdale area, so it is difficult to refer to NOVA as NSU! During my interview i kept saying NOVA, NOVA, NOVA LOL! I thought I screwed up big time! I guess not! I will get used to it eventually.

That's funny since the website is www.nova.edu and that is probably b/c www.nsu.edu is taken by Norfolk State University.

raptor---you are right about NSU not being available for our website. Our email changed from nova.edu to nsu.nova.edu though

Tests every week----not first semester. You get breaks. So far, 2nd semester 1st year...yes every week, but we had one off sometime back in january i think. I"m not sure out the other half of the semester---just trying to make it to spring break.

Maybe Quinn can give some insight on 2nd year, b/c i don't know their schedule.

It isn't so bad. It is better than cramming for 8 exams in 4 days, and not having time to study well for any of them.

make sure you guys go to the starbucks about 8 min. from the NSU, i work there and alot of nova medical student go there, Pluse i'll hook you guys up with some drinks.

where are some good locations to find housing. who has a good real estate agent?? does anyone know of some nice townhouses or condos to rent near by??thanks

Quinn said:

Now that I look back on it, its amazing how much I've grown and changed since I started medical school.

Are you talking about your gender issues or something else altogether?

Hey y'all
Welcome to NSU! You guys will have a blast!

There is a townhouse for rent just across the street from Nova (the Health Professions Division...where you will be going) It's at University Village. Its really nice and...huge! It's a 3 bdrm, includes everything except electricity, and is $1500/mth. Will be available in June or July (not sure). PM me if you are interested and I will give you the rest of the scoop.

Later

where is the best area to live around nsu?

UNIVERSITY PARC!!!! ...Brand-new condo/apartment....independently owned units(some of which are still for sale I believe)....its a great place to live...I am living here for my M2 year as well cuz its a great place!
Ca$h Mani

hey mani..any idea of how much the condos cost at university parc? or would u happend to have the phone number of a person to contract?

Originally posted by NotShorty
Getting emails from Dr. Chaffin always puts me in a good mood.

Hello to all my future classmates! Looking forward to meeting all of you. How soon is everyone moving to Davie? -NS

I plan to move to Florida on or around July 5. I hope to get down there at the end of May to pick out a place. Any suggestions from current students would be great. I've been told about Sunforest. What do current residents think of Jacaranda Village or any of the "Jacaranda" apartments?
Is there anywhere that we should avoid at all costs?

Does anyone know if NSU has a 2nd look weekend?? I know a lot of MD schools have a week where you can come see the school again and many times they pay for your travel. I doubt NSU has this option but if they do that would be pretty cool.

Originally posted by kumar28
Hey y'all
Welcome to NSU! You guys will have a blast!

There is a townhouse for rent just across the street from Nova (the Health Professions Division...where you will be going) It's at University Village. Its really nice and...huge! It's a 3 bdrm, includes everything except electricity, and is $1500/mth. Will be available in June or July (not sure). PM me if you are interested and I will give you the rest of the scoop.

Later

I'd be willing to go in with a couple of people on this..What does the electricity bill average there?

Hey ya'll,
I just went to the University Parc Website and it says that all of their units are sold out :( Here's the link if you want to see what they have to offer. It's my hope that some units will become available by the end of the school year.
http://www.poincianahomes.com/universityparc/index.htm

NSU does not have a formal 2nd look weekend, but you can come down at any point, and we would be happy to show you around again. PM me if you are truly intersted.

DoctorInSpace or any other NSU student:
Are there any workout facilities provided for us as students?? Just wondering because I don't remember anything about this when the lady was giving us a tour.

Houdy,

Yeah, we kind of breezed past them on that little tour bus. Everyone told me ahead of time that NSU's gym was nothing to write home about, and that appeared to be the case. The tour lady said that even if they were building the new facility right now, it wouldn't be finished until the end of our 2nd year.

A lot of apartments I've been looking into have exercise facilities, and it seems that lots of people just have memberships at local gyms.

Working out is going to be a concern of mine, but I don't think it will be too hard to find a gym I like. It will even be a good way to meet people outside of school or in other NSU programs.

CURRENT NSU STUDENTS

Are there any apartments that have lots of health professions students, law, or business students? It would be cool to meet others outside of medicine.

-NS

Yeah, the gym is one small room. They must build a bigger one b/c the undergrad athletics is now in a higher class and they are required to have a gym w/certain dimensions and equipment. Most apartment complexes have small gyms, too. There is also several big gyms nearby, like Bally's, 24 Hour Fitness, LA Fitness, Gold's Gym, etc. You can shop around.

I hope that helps.

Just for the record I wasn't THAT impress with the Bally's across from NSUCOM. I got in for free with my hotel room and it didn't have enough cardio equipment for me.