Nova Masters in Biomedical Sciences after Barry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gte691w

gte691w
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm considering applying to Nova's Master in Biomedical Science after finishing Barry University's Masters in Biomedical Science to secure a spot at Nova's Dental School. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if you could share your thoughts on this approach. I know doing two Masters in Biomedical Science is redundant but I want to make sure that I get accepted to Nova for dental school so that I could stay close to home.

Members don't see this ad.

ImageUploadedBySDN1467921945.388406.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Let me get this straight: you want to get the same degree twice with the hope that you will somehow gain admittance to a single school? That's a serious red flag.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the Nova program will grant you a spot after the second semester if you maintain an 80 in every class. In a nutshell it is considered a 5year Dental program.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you please explain why it would be a red flag?

The money and time that you would spend on the 2nd masters just to potentially secure a spot at one school seems foolish to me as well.
Thats 40000 more of debt (accruing interest as well) and a 1 year loss of potential income.

You should be able to get into nova after doing well in the barry masters program combined with a good DAT score. A masters is typically a last opportunity to do well and prove to grad schools that your worthy of a seat. As well, it provides enough time to study for the DAT and do well.

so
1- doing a second masters is foolish in terms of price and time
2- if you need a second masters to boost your gpa how do you think youll do in dental school? its much harder than a masters and there's no retakes

sorry if I sound harsh but this course of action is incredibly inefficient

good luck

OP, I'm a senior dental student at Nova, don't usually post here since I'm pretty busy. I just wonder why can't you get in the the MBS from Barry? How well did you perform in your program and the DAT? Taking a second master degree is a serious financial burden, and honestly quite redundant and unnecessary if you did well on the first one. We have a pre-dental workshop at Nova this Saturday and Sunday, Dr. Lippman and some people from the adcom will be there. You can register if it is still available, the cost is $200 though. Not sure if they still have spots since I'm no longer a part of the NSU pre-dental outreach program. PM me asap by early Friday if you are interested and please elaborate your situation so I can help you better.

First I would like to thank everyone for there time and response. My stats are fine from Barry. I'm not considering a second masters to boost my GPA by any means. I'm only considering it because I want to say in south Florida while attending dental school. I figure if I have to go out of state to say Boston or New York I'm going to spend just as much as the tuition for Nova's BMS for living expense, where if I stay in south Florida my living expense would be covered. If I get accepted to Nova's Dental then great I'll enrol in the dental program, but if not I would consider the BMS program as back up and enrol in the dental program the following year. Furthermore, I've heard Nova's BMS is much more rigorous than Barry's and it would better prepare me for Dental school.

OP, I'm a senior dental student at Nova, don't usually post here since I'm pretty busy. I just wonder why can't you get in the the MBS from Barry? How well did you perform in your program and the DAT? Taking a second master degree is a serious financial burden, and honestly quite redundant and unnecessary if you did well on the first one. We have a pre-dental workshop at Nova this Saturday and Sunday, Dr. Lippman and some people from the adcom will be there. You can register if it is still available, the cost is $200 though. Not sure if they still have spots since I'm no longer a part of the NSU pre-dental outreach program. PM me asap by early Friday if you are interested and please elaborate your situation so I can help you better.
Hey could you help me in my situation? I started the BMS at Liberty, however I have to withdraw from it. I am only taking one course and will withdraw from it. It runs in Blocks and I can get my money back for anatomy.