Nova MD open!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you think they’d accept someone with a 3.5 GPA? ....... :(

No. New schools tend to be stats ****** because A.) they want to be able to present a class that looks good on paper to show that they can assemble a class that is just as competitive as schools that are already established and B.) they need a class that can pass boards to ensure their future accreditation.

The students who get in to Nova MD will be high stat people who, for whatever reason, were passed up by the established schools because of a glaring hole in their application during the "holistic" review process. I expect that, in terms of pure metrics, their entering class will be on par with Miller in terms of GPA/MCAT averages.

If you're a 3.8 518 with no shadowing, lackluster ECs, or a dull, uninspiring personal statement, then this is the place for you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I was thinking. I have a 3.95/509 and am a Florida resident so I want to apply but I figure it would probably be a waste of money cause they're probably gonna be focusing on high MCAT and will have an average of 512-513

I think 3.95 and 509 would be competitive for a new NSU MD program....besides, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take

This is what I was thinking. I have a 3.95/509 and am a Florida resident so I want to apply but I figure it would probably be a waste of money cause they're probably gonna be focusing on high MCAT and will have an average of 512-513

I think it's worth it to apply with those stats.

You have to remember, too, that it's a tiny class. After the top Nova DO students that they are going to recruit, and probably a couple spots reserved for Nova undergrads, and then children/relatives of the program's higher-ups, only about 30 or so of the 50 first year seats are going to be open to legitimate competition.

This will be the hardest school in Florida to get into this year.

No. New schools tend to be stats ****** because A.) they want to be able to present a class that looks good on paper to show that they can assemble a class that is just as competitive as schools that are already established and B.) they need a class that can pass boards to ensure their future accreditation.

The students who get in to Nova MD will be high stat people who, for whatever reason, were passed up by the established schools because of a glaring hole in their application during the "holistic" review process. I expect that, in terms of pure metrics, their entering class will be on par with Miller in terms of GPA/MCAT averages.

If you're a 3.8 518 with no shadowing, lackluster ECs, or a dull, uninspiring personal statement, then this is the place for you.

The situation is not so cut an dry. If you look only at Florida you will note that the four bottom schools stats-wise are the four newest.

U Florida 514/3.86
USF 514/3.68
Miami 513/3.8
FAU 512/3.76
FIU 510/3.71
UCF 510/3.76
FSU 505/3.74

The new schools that come out of the gate with high stat pools are those that have offered significant (i.e. full ride) scholarships to the first class, although geography has played an important role for a couple (Dell, CNU). Geisinger is below Drexel in terms of median stats. Netter is even with UConn. CMU and Cooper are both below national averages. Paul Foster in El Paso and RGVU have the lowest averages in Texas.

If you talk to adcom members at the new schools you will see that they're overriding concern is less about board passage and more about selecting students who are A.) pioneering and B.) capable of being good public representatives for the institution. I don't think the high stat weirdos have enhanced odds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Disagree. New schools, being an unknown, find it harder to attract candidates.

Reactions: 2 users
Should I apply here? It would be the only school I apply to this cycle and I’m ITA. I also have strong connections to their rotation sites (probably doesn’t mean anything). 3.5 GPA/great ECs/taking MCAT in Jan. (score will be released before secondary is due). Very set on MD. Or should I just wait until next cycle when I apply to other schools? I have a friend who only applied to her alma matter on a whim and adcoms viewed that very highly.
Come back when you have an MCAT score and then we can advise.

Reactions: 1 users
Does this school take only in state, or can I apply from OOS (Northeast)?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's open - I just submitted my primary application.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have any insider information on what the secondary prompt is?

So just to be clear, this school is 100% PBL and 0% normal lecture style?

It seems so?

"Students... will experience a unique hybrid problem-based learning curriculum that is more challenging and quite different from most medical school programs."

no less than 3 and no more than 4 LoRs, with at least one from a science professor who has taught you, is what their website says.

So many questions about this curriculum, rotation sites, housing, scholarships...

Reactions: 1 user
Not even SGU would touch you with a 1000ft pole made from the spines of their unmatched alumni

That might be the harshest statement a skittish pre-med could ever hear! Well, only if they couldn't detect the sarcasm.

Hello everyone, current Nova something or other here. I have some info for everyone asking questions about the MD school, the new hospital, and the renamed DO school.

1. Offices/Classrooms: The MD school administrative offices are on the 5th floor of the Terry Building (DO offices are on the 4th). The MD classrooms are brand new in the HPD annex building. They look like ER patient exam rooms with curtains merged with a tiny classroom. These used to be study rooms for all HPD students. They renovated the whole building and made the study rooms with glass walls while the MD rooms have drywall and are private.

2. Curriculum/Professors: The curriculum development is headed by Dr. Campbell who used to teach biochemistry. Nova has a college of medical sciences that all of the professors are under, and they all teach the different schools (same faculty across the board). There are some professors who are specifically under each school's heading, but basic sciences are all the same. This is the same for the MD school. The DO basic science professors have been putting together the curriculum for the MD school, and will be teaching the MD students. There are MD's who teach at the DO school, and there will be DO's who teach at the MD school. (The current head of the anatomy department is a DPM.)

3. Admission stats will be very high. Last year, the average MCAT and GPA for the DO school was 518 and 3.4. This year, they will not be accepting any students for the DO school with under a 510/3.4 (verbatim from admissions). The MD school will have even stricter requirements, though they haven't been set in stone as of yet. Nova will, however, take all of your money for secondaries and tell you to pound salt.

4. Ground has broken for the new hospital. Nova bought out Pizza Loft, which was in that plaza, and moved the bookstore and student counseling center and have started tearing that half of the plaza down. The goal is to have clinical trials through the hospital and the Center for Collaborative Research across the street. MD's will have priority in working here/engaging in research over the DO's.

5. Nova DO school will never benefit from that $200 million donation here. $150 million is going to construct the new campus for the new branch campus, $50 million is probably going into Barbara Wallace's and George Hanbury's bank accounts. The professors are not getting raises, no new support staff are being hired, no facilities are being upgraded, etc. They aren't even adding more parking. The only upgrades that have been done were to accommodate the MD students (see "taken away from the DO students"). Kirin Patel was just the subject of the largest whistleblower investigation of Medicare fraud in history, and had to return some $30 million dollars to avoid going to jail for exploiting a billing glitch to over bill for services that were never provided. I would rather the school be named the "Swiper No Swiping! Honest School of Osteopathic Medicine" than the "Wallace/Hanbury Get Rich Quick Scheme from Stolen Taxpayer Money School of Osteopathic Deception". Administration "bought" new white coats that weren't even Wal-Mart quality for everyone because white coats had already been purchased by students before the "transformational gift" and people have been complaining about it nonstop. They didn't even make sizes that fit everyone, so some people got coats they cannot wear.

6. The DO school will be turning into a underserved/rural specialty school. The career services people have already started pushing everyone away from surgery/derm/ONT and into family practice/obgyn. If you are Indian, your chances of getting into Nova to become a family doctor has just increased significantly. Any available resources will be given to the MD school. MD's will have first pick of rotation spots at the best places, DO's will have to play the lottery after MD's get their pick and the choices will be getting worse.

Long story short: The professors are not happy with the MD school, no one is happy about the renaming/donation for the DO school (except for Wallace/Hanbury), the MD students will be treated like royalty, and the DO students are getting shafted big time.

That being said, the basic sciences faculty are some of the best I've ever seen, and the school has a solid reputation of producing better students than FIU/Miller/FAU, etc. when it comes to rotations. Most doctors around here hold Nova students in very high regard.

"Last year, the average MCAT and GPA for the DO school was 518 and 3.4. This year, they will not be accepting any students for the DO school with under a 510/3.4 (verbatim from admissions)."

Gtfo....and this is your first post ever? 0/10 Troll effort

Reactions: 5 users
"Last year, the average MCAT and GPA for the DO school was 518 and 3.4. This year, they will not be accepting any students for the DO school with under a 510/3.4 (verbatim from admissions)."

Gtfo....and this is your first post ever? 0/10 Troll effort
Haha I thought the exact same thing. I was reading and like nodding my head and then all of a sudden my eyes opened wide like wtf lol.

I'm not a troll. I'm just not going to post under my own account. All of the information I've posted is verifiable.
"Do you have a minimum MCAT score requirement?

No, we do have an average MCAT score which is a 28. Current trends in new MCAT format scores for the entering class of 2017 average at 506."

Just wondering where you got the 518 from, when Nova's website clearly says last year's average was a 506.

FAQ - Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Admissions | NSU

...Ooops, Isoval beat me to it.

I'm not a troll. I'm just not going to post under my own account. All of the information I've posted is verifiable.

Why would you not want to post under your own account? Also, if you're going to post outlandish information (like 518/3.4) the burden of providing proof rests on your shoulders. In other words, pics or it didn't happen bruh

leymwyW.png

Reactions: 5 users
I'm quoting the numbers provided to students during orientation week this year. This entering class was compared next to several other highly selective universities during one of the presentations. If you have a problem with that number Dr. Jay, I suggest you take it up with the presenters. I haven't invented information or stated anything other than what I directly heard or was told.

My problem isn't with those numbers (I have better stats than that anyway), my problem is with you providing misinformation to people who don't know any better. The fact that you made a burner account to post this really depletes you of any ethos.

My problem isn't with those numbers (I have better stats than that anyway), my problem is with you providing misinformation to people who don't know any better. The fact that you made a burner account to post this really depletes you of any ethos.
My guess is that this burner account was made purely for deflecting people from applying to the MD program.

My guess is that this burner account was made purely for deflecting people from applying to the MD program.

I have a feeling its a disgruntled NSU DO bro who's pissed that the MD students are gonna pull way more PA tail than he is

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone, current Nova something or other here. I have some info for everyone asking questions about the MD school, the new hospital, and the renamed DO school.

1. Offices/Classrooms: The MD school administrative offices are on the 5th floor of the Terry Building (DO offices are on the 4th). The MD classrooms are brand new in the HPD annex building. They look like ER patient exam rooms with curtains merged with a tiny classroom. These used to be study rooms for all HPD students. They renovated the whole building and made the study rooms with glass walls while the MD rooms have drywall and are private.

2. Curriculum/Professors: The curriculum development is headed by Dr. Campbell who used to teach biochemistry. Nova has a college of medical sciences that all of the professors are under, and they all teach the different schools (same faculty across the board). There are some professors who are specifically under each school's heading, but basic sciences are all the same. This is the same for the MD school. The DO basic science professors have been putting together the curriculum for the MD school, and will be teaching the MD students. There are MD's who teach at the DO school, and there will be DO's who teach at the MD school. (The current head of the anatomy department is a DPM.)

3. Admission stats will be very high. Last year, the average MCAT and GPA for the DO school was 518 and 3.4. This year, they will not be accepting any students for the DO school with under a 510/3.4 (verbatim from admissions). The MD school will have even stricter requirements, though they haven't been set in stone as of yet. Nova will, however, take all of your money for secondaries and tell you to pound salt.

4. Ground has broken for the new hospital. Nova bought out Pizza Loft, which was in that plaza, and moved the bookstore and student counseling center and have started tearing that half of the plaza down. The goal is to have clinical trials through the hospital and the Center for Collaborative Research across the street. MD's will have priority in working here/engaging in research over the DO's.

5. Nova DO school will never benefit from that $200 million donation here. $150 million is going to construct the new campus for the new branch campus, $50 million is probably going into Barbara Wallace's and George Hanbury's bank accounts. The professors are not getting raises, no new support staff are being hired, no facilities are being upgraded, etc. They aren't even adding more parking. The only upgrades that have been done were to accommodate the MD students (see "taken away from the DO students"). Kirin Patel was just the subject of the largest whistleblower investigation of Medicare fraud in history, and had to return some $30 million dollars to avoid going to jail for exploiting a billing glitch to over bill for services that were never provided. I would rather the school be named the "Swiper No Swiping! Honest School of Osteopathic Medicine" than the "Wallace/Hanbury Get Rich Quick Scheme from Stolen Taxpayer Money School of Osteopathic Deception". Administration "bought" new white coats that weren't even Wal-Mart quality for everyone because white coats had already been purchased by students before the "transformational gift" and people have been complaining about it nonstop. They didn't even make sizes that fit everyone, so some people got coats they cannot wear.

6. The DO school will be turning into a underserved/rural specialty school. The career services people have already started pushing everyone away from surgery/derm/ONT and into family practice/obgyn. If you are Indian, your chances of getting into Nova to become a family doctor has just increased significantly. Any available resources will be given to the MD school. MD's will have first pick of rotation spots at the best places, DO's will have to play the lottery after MD's get their pick and the choices will be getting worse.

Long story short: The professors are not happy with the MD school, no one is happy about the renaming/donation for the DO school (except for Wallace/Hanbury), the MD students will be treated like royalty, and the DO students are getting shafted big time.

That being said, the basic sciences faculty are some of the best I've ever seen, and the school has a solid reputation of producing better students than FIU/Miller/FAU, etc. when it comes to rotations. Most doctors around here hold Nova students in very high regard.

Verified with Nova website that the average for the 2017 class was a 506. Where did your numbers come from?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

As I said before, this information was provided during orientation week when admission statistics were compared across several highly selective universities. This isn't something I made up. I have no control over the website, and was just trying to provide the information that I know of to people who were interested on here. Other than my opinions of the donation (which I thought for sure would be the primary source of contestation), the information I've provided is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I'm really sorry if this upsets anyone, but that says more about your level of emotional control and less about the information being inaccurate.

The classroom reconstruction/study room renovation: verifiable.

The groundbreaking for the new hospital: verifiable.

The curriculum...see for yourselves! The website has the faculty listed, who are all also listed under the medical sciences faculty. The curriculum development center currently takes up half of the HPD cafeteria.

Disgruntled? You bet I am! Has nothing to do with "tail" though.
tiniest_violin.gif

As I said before, this information was provided during orientation week when admission statistics were compared across several highly selective universities. This isn't something I made up. I have no control over the website, and was just trying to provide the information that I know of to people who were interested on here. Other than my opinions of the donation (which I thought for sure would be the primary source of contestation), the information I've provided is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I'm really sorry if this upsets anyone, but that says more about your level of emotional control and less about the information being inaccurate.

The classroom reconstruction/study room renovation: verifiable.

The groundbreaking for the new hospital: verifiable.

The curriculum...see for yourselves! The website has the faculty listed, who are all also listed under the medical sciences faculty. The curriculum development center currently takes up half of the HPD cafeteria.

Disgruntled? You bet I am! Has nothing to do with "tail" though.
Can you explain your motivation for not wanting to use your main account?