Nova - NSU Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1_Accept_Away

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw on another thread that people attending NSU may have to move 3rd and 4th year. I interviewed and was accepted there...but didn't really hear this. In another thread it was stated that NSU is losing a lot of its clinical sites due to a newly established medical school. What school is this? Can someone attending or knowledgeable about NSU tell me the story?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard anything as of yet from anyone at school about losing affiliations... there are tons of rumors that fly around this school... like any school. Until I know the source of it, I'm not gonna pay all that mcuh attention to it. I've also heard rumor from a couple M2's that we're working on affiliating with Cleveland Clinic of Florida- Weston (its about 15 minutes from NSU) but as much as I'd like to believe that, I haven't heard anything concrete.

Also, be weary of pre-meds talking about a school they don't even go to. Majority of the rotations are in the tri-county area. Some people choose to move because they want to be a few minutes away from the hospital, some stay in the same place and just have a longer commute. The amount of spots in Naples, Orlando, Tampa, and Georgia are much less in comparison. I've been told by many M2s, 3s and 4s that if you want to stay in the area, you normally will be able to.

At my interview at Nova they described in detail the 3rd and 4th year rotations, and as Novas goal is to provide the best education they can and sever the entire south florida area, they have rotations in the Ft. Lauderdale area as well as in Miami, Orlando, and else where, there is an extensive "mock match" system to place people at roataion sites and it seemed as though if you have to move you will have people there with you from Nova and if you cant move because of family (wife kids etc.) they will do thier best to work with you. Its not nearly as much 'moving' as you would go through being at DMU where you migh end up in Ohio.

Nova is not losing rotation sites, but rather offering the best they can to their students. Just my take on what I was informed about at my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I vaguely remember this from my interview day...what I find troubling about these answers is that the school says you MAY have to move and, in fact, some people do move, but if you don't want to move, you probably won't have to. If I go to Nova, I'd be going there over a respectable MD school only because I am a family that I want to near in South Florida. If I go to Nova for geogrpahic reasons and then have to move out of South Florida anywhow, it defeats the whole purpose of choosing Nova.

So every third/fourth year student who moves bc of their clinical rotation match is 100% happy about moving?

I vaguely remember this from my interview day...what I find troubling about these answers is that the school says you MAY have to move and, in fact, some people do move, but if you don't want to move, you probably won't have to. If I go to Nova, I'd be going there over a respectable MD school only because I am a family that I want to near in South Florida. If I go to Nova for geogrpahic reasons and then have to move out of South Florida anywhow, it defeats the whole purpose of choosing Nova.

So every third/fourth year student who moves bc of their clinical rotation match is 100% happy about moving?

I'd go to the MD school.

Well after the match, they have a time period in which they allow people to trade spots. If you dont end up in south florida through the match, you'll probably be able to get someone to switch. Of course, you can't make that 100% guarantee... but most likely you'd be able to stay. I don't get the whole family thing from the way you worded it... you have a family there or you have a relative who lives there? If you were married and/or had kids, they'd also take that into consideration that it would be a hardship for you to uproot your family to move and would accomodate you.

from what I remember, 85% get one of their top 3 choices matched, meaning you have 85% chance if your top three are in SO FLA and higher % if ur other choices are in SO FLA, and seeing how most of the rotations are in So. FLA I don't see you having a problem. They also told me that the 85 % moves into the mid 90's during the period when they allow you to trade with someone else.

Yes, my wording was not clear. It's not that I want to be near my parents...I am married and my spouse cannot just up and move anywhere. As far as kids, none right now...but who knows about 3rd and 4th year.

Yes, my wording was not clear. It's not that I want to be near my parents...I am married and my spouse cannot just up and move anywhere. As far as kids, none right now...but who knows about 3rd and 4th year.

Look around some of the other NSU threads, there is a lottery and for the most part you don't have to move. I am having to though, it is a crap shoot if you do have to. It is a similar method to what other schools use.

A quick run down on our Match: This year there were about 12 sites. Most of the sites were in south FL, but there were also sites in areas such as Tampa, Orlando, Ft. Myers, West Palm. I honestly feel that all of the sites are good for various different reasons. The way the match works is that first you rank ALL of the sites #1-12 (or whatever number there is). Then, you are randomly assigned a number to your name by a computer. Person #1 automatically gets #1 choice, and down the list until each site is filled.

We are given our match results, and then we are given approximately two weeks to trade with each other. Some people have changed their minds, some feel sorry for others (based on situations), etc.

Finally, if you are stuck with a site that you really despise and there is a moving reason why you CAN'T be at this site (i.e. you have a family living in Miami and you drew Tampa), you can appeal to the school. Under these circumstances, the school would step in and put in into a site that is within driving distance of your family (it may not be the most desirable site, but they will NOT separate you from your family)

I think that MOST of the sites were ranked #1 by different people for VERY DIFFERENT reasons. Some sites are better for IM, some are better for surgery, some are better for OPP, Some are known for their Inpatient Peds, some are more laid back, some have great didactics, some you work with residents, some you work with attendings, some are large hospitals, some are much smaller. There are a LOT of factors that go into choosing what hospitals that you think best match you.

Of the 12 rotation sites, I would suspect that 10 or 11 of them were filled by ppl who chose them as their #1 site (and I can honestly say that I would have been happy with ANY of 12 rotation sites).

I chose NSU because I felt as if they had a strong Clinical Education, and I still feel the same way. As far as LOSING rotation sites, I would assume whomever said that was referring to the new schools that are GOING to be opening in FL in the future. I can't speak to that, but so far--we have not lost any rotation sites. I would suspect that by the time the new schools are opening, that NSU would be hoping to have its new hospital opening.

A quick run down on our Match: This year there were about 12 sites. Most of the sites were in south FL, but there were also sites in areas such as Tampa, Orlando, Ft. Myers, West Palm. I honestly feel that all of the sites are good for various different reasons. The way the match works is that first you rank ALL of the sites #1-12 (or whatever number there is). Then, you are randomly assigned a number to your name by a computer. Person #1 automatically gets #1 choice, and down the list until each site is filled.

We are given our match results, and then we are given approximately two weeks to trade with each other. Some people have changed their minds, some feel sorry for others (based on situations), etc.

Finally, if you are stuck with a site that you really despise and there is a moving reason why you CAN'T be at this site (i.e. you have a family living in Miami and you drew Tampa), you can appeal to the school. Under these circumstances, the school would step in and put in into a site that is within driving distance of your family (it may not be the most desirable site, but they will NOT separate you from your family)

I think that MOST of the sites were ranked #1 by different people for VERY DIFFERENT reasons. Some sites are better for IM, some are better for surgery, some are better for OPP, Some are known for their Inpatient Peds, some are more laid back, some have great didactics, some you work with residents, some you work with attendings, some are large hospitals, some are much smaller. There are a LOT of factors that go into choosing what hospitals that you think best match you.

Of the 12 rotation sites, I would suspect that 10 or 11 of them were filled by ppl who chose them as their #1 site (and I can honestly say that I would have been happy with ANY of 12 rotation sites).

I chose NSU because I felt as if they had a strong Clinical Education, and I still feel the same way. As far as LOSING rotation sites, I would assume whomever said that was referring to the new schools that are GOING to be opening in FL in the future. I can't speak to that, but so far--we have not lost any rotation sites. I would suspect that by the time the new schools are opening, that NSU would be hoping to have its new hospital opening.

NSU is soon to have its own teaching hospital?

they are in the process of getting the legal mumbo jumbo squared away. I believe it is in the NSU main site under news or something. the drawing they have is quite nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds great. Chances are I may have to withdraw from my interview invite due to certain circumstances.
You were invited to interview at NSU? I saw your footer said you were going to go to be in the Class of 2012? I thought you were applying for this year. Whatever the case me be, best of luck!

The proposed new hospital is called the NSU Health Care Village. As far as I know as of January, they are still waiting for approval of the Certificate of Need that is required to put up a new hospital. The issue is that the county and/or state says the current hospitals aren't running at full enough capacity as it is to justify a new hospital going up in the area. However, politics are politics, and with enough pull anything can happen. Its just a matter of time.

Silvagni actually came and spoke to our M1 class briefly at the beginning of this second semester and mentioned as an alternate to putting up our own hospital, another possibility that was being considered is making Broward General our official NSU teaching hospital. This also wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion because its a tertiary care hospital with everything from a Level 1 trauma to a transplant center (livers at least, don't know about the rest). This would also open the door up to getting more funding to make more NSU residencies (which we're still currently adding) and such he said.

So either way, i think NSU students have a great future as far as clinicals go.

I have a question about the $1250 due on March 15. Do they allow for extensions of any kind? I mean I already paid them $750!!!! :scared:

The proposed new hospital is called the NSU Health Care Village. As far as I know as of January, they are still waiting for approval of the Certificate of Need that is required to put up a new hospital. The issue is that the county and/or state says the current hospitals aren't running at full enough capacity as it is to justify a new hospital going up in the area. However, politics are politics, and with enough pull anything can happen. Its just a matter of time.

Silvagni actually came and spoke to our M1 class briefly at the beginning of this second semester and mentioned as an alternate to putting up our own hospital, another possibility that was being considered is making Broward General our official NSU teaching hospital. This also wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion because its a tertiary care hospital with everything from a Level 1 trauma to a transplant center (livers at least, don't know about the rest). This would also open the door up to getting more funding to make more NSU residencies (which we're still currently adding) and such he said.

Sounds awesome! Thanks for the information!

I have a question about the $1250 due on March 15. Do they allow for extensions of any kind? I mean I already paid them $750!!!! :scared:

They probably do depending on the situation. If you don't ask, you won't get an answer. Mind you, this may delay getting information concerning orientation and what not because until the transcripts, deposit, and financial information is finalized, you're not considered complete. Make sure you check your webstar account.

I thought Miami students primarily used Broward General as their teaching hospital.

there are so many high caliber hospitals in So. FLA that it is just divided by where you reside. In broward county the main one is broward gen.

Some Miami students rotate at Mt. Sinai, but Nova students also get to rotate there.

NSU has its own GME, as well, right? If so, what programs do they have? Thanks.

Some Miami students rotate at Mt. Sinai, but Nova students also get to rotate there.
Thanks, I just knew that Broward wasn't a big Miami site...
and Yay! I will be at Sinai next year. :)

NSU has its own GME, as well, right? If so, what programs do they have? Thanks.

Through all of its associations with hospitals (CEME) NSU has 3 or 4 internal med programs, 3 dermatology programs, 2 orthopedics, boat loads of family medicine, 1 peds, 1 ER, 2 surgery (there's one more on the way a faculty member just told me today), 2 cardio fellowships, a sports med fellowship, and a geriatrics fellowship.

http://medicine.nova.edu/academics/gme/postgrad.html

There's the link to the page. Just click on the hospital and it'll give you information about the respective residency programs there.

KaiKai, congrats on getting Mt. Sinai... a few of my friends also got it too. You on the DO track or MD track? Go show those UM students up next year! :)

Through all of its associations with hospitals (CEME) NSU has 3 or 4 internal med programs, 3 dermatology programs, 2 orthopedics, boat loads of family medicine, 1 peds, 1 ER, 2 surgery (there's one more on the way a faculty member just told me today), 2 cardio fellowships, a sports med fellowship, and a geriatrics fellowship.

http://medicine.nova.edu/academics/gme/postgrad.html

There's the link to the page. Just click on the hospital and it'll give you information about the respective residency programs there.

KaiKai, congrats on getting Mt. Sinai... a few of my friends also got it too. You on the DO track or MD track? Go show those UM students up next year! :)

MD...woot woot.

Sorry if I missed something obvious, but KaiKai, you are in DO school, what is the difference between the MD and DO tracks??

Sorry, My response was clearly only to the person who knew that there was two tracks and the difference between the two...I didn't think of how it would look saying "woot woot" I got the MD track....oops...

There are two different tracks run thru the same hospital, one is called Mt Sinai, and the other is called Miami Heart. The Mt Sinai Track is associated with MD residencies and the Miami Heart track is associated with DO residencies. I am Military--so the Residency thing DOES NOT matter to me at all.

I preferred the Mt Sinai track because it is at the same prestigeous hospital, but they have fewer on call nights (Q4 vs Q3), they are generally there less hours on their call nights (it is late night call--not overnight), they don't have to be there as early in the morning (at least sometimes), and there were fewer slots so I would be part of a "smaller" group and get more one on one attention with residents and attendings.

I felt as if I was getting the best of both worlds here. I don't have to work quite as hard, but still have the benefit of seeing the pathology of nearly a 1000 bed hospital system. I just felt as if this track was a much better fit for me (and for those outsiders to the school, is a very sought out rotation there only only 12 slots out of 220 ppl going into rotations).

Edit: Besides, Now I get to show off how smart we are next to our MD counterparts from Miami.

congrats kaikai! hopefully I will be in your shoes three years from now!!!!!I love that place.

Kaikai...I'm not sure where you're getting your information from as a lot of it is not true.

Mount Sinai/Miami Heart has two tracks...MTS (Medical Training Service) and OTS (Osteopathic Training Service). The two tracks ONLY differ for your three months of inpatient internal medicine, which are done at Mount Sinai for both tracks. The difference between the two is that MTS will have MD residents and OTS will have DO residents...that's it. OTS is known for working a little harder and longer hours, but that will vary by which residents you have for your three months. :)

i was also told this by an M2...both tracks are at Mt sinai..but MD is q4..while DO is q3...and i heard that DO route is actually tougher, more work... besides the hours. nonetheless congrats on gettin ur first choice..

Kaikai...I'm not sure where you're getting your information from as a lot of it is not true.

Mount Sinai/Miami Heart has two tracks...MTS (Medical Training Service) and OTS (Osteopathic Training Service). The two tracks ONLY differ for your three months of inpatient internal medicine, which are done at Mount Sinai for both tracks. The difference between the two is that MTS will have MD residents and OTS will have DO residents...that's it. OTS is known for working a little harder and longer hours, but that will vary by which residents you have for your three months. :)
I was referring to the time spent in hospital...but the Q4 vs Q3 for IM and "not working quite as hard" in theory is for sure TRUE according to the people who presented all of the information to our class (any all of my friends who happen to be on these tracks right now). But thank you for looking out for me. =)

I am bumping this thread to ask another questions. So if my top clinical sites were mt. sinai, suncoast, and broward general in the match, how good are my chances of getting those sites? Are those everyones favorites? Especially Sinai, that would be my top choice since I would want to go to a place that has a lot of residency programs.

I am bumping this thread to ask another questions. So if my top clinical sites were mt. sinai, suncoast, and broward general in the match, how good are my chances of getting those sites? Are those everyones favorites? Especially Sinai, that would be my top choice since I would want to go to a place that has a lot of residency programs.

And .. you just shot your chances by revealing what you want to your future classmates ... :laugh:

I'm sure it depends on how many select Sinai relative to the other sites, and how many students can rotate there. If they use the lottery, then you have a 1 out of x chances of getting it. Better hope that x isn't too high ...

Popularity of a site changes from year to year, but you can see how many students were admitted to each program this past year. From that you can get an idea of which sites may be more popular than another.

Of course, each 2nd year class makes up its own lottery rules and regulations.

They are also opening a huge hospital in Homestead. It looks like it is going to be massive. Does anyone know when it will be open and if NSU COM has looked into rotating there?

so I have a question, does nova have a teaching hospital as of now or not. That was one thing I liked about umdnj, it's there afilations with all those hospitals

so I have a question, does nova have a teaching hospital as of now or not. That was one thing I liked about umdnj, it's there afilations with all those hospitals

Not at the moment, but there are plans for the near future, I believe.

It is still in the planning stage. They haven't broke dirt yet.

I heard something about making Broward General the teaching hospital if plans for the new one were delayed. Anyone hear this as well???

I heard something about making Broward General the teaching hospital if plans for the new one were delayed. Anyone hear this as well???

Broward General already is a teaching hospital with interns and residents, didactics, etc....

has anyone heard anything from nsu this week about acceptances/waitlists? thanks!

Agreed with Hoody...
Broward is already a teaching hospital, and there is NO WAY that they can handle the number of students that are in each of our classes. In fact, they recently (this year) asked for the number of students to be reduced by 10 because they felt that they were inundated and were going to be unable to provide the "best" teaching experience for that number.

I may be the only one, but I personally really LIKE the way that our 3rd year is set up right now...Adding more options would be nice for those at the bottom of the random draw...but I would not want to see any major changes made.