Nova or NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherryblossom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search but not much came up. Also just curious for some fresh opinions on these 2 schools.

Members don't see this ad.

What good are you in replying without backing up why you chose Nova over NYU.

Anyways, each school will prepare you well in becoming a great dentist. I believe that Nova would be the better choice since living expenses are much much cheaper than NYC. G'luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
wow really? i'm leaning more towards nyu right now....probably because i've lived in fl for the last decade of my life. i know it's cheaper but not THAT much? plus i hate the heat and humidity...

i wish i favored nova more though...then i could save myself a ton of money

wow really? i'm leaning more towards nyu right now....probably because i've lived in fl for the last decade of my life. i know it's cheaper but not THAT much? plus i hate the heat and humidity...

i wish i favored nova more though...then i could save myself a ton of money

i would choose NYU over Nova for the same reasons you listed. i'm a florida boy and i didn't even apply to Nova b/c i had no interest in staying in florida unless i got into UF.

i'm sick and tired of the heat, humidty, and the arrogrant crowd that s.florida breeds.

NYU is A LOT more expensive than Nova once you factor in cost of living...but that becomes a personal decision. would spending 4 years in NYC be worth the extra tuition? (i would answer Yes) Plus, NYU has a very large alumni base and has many resources that you can take advantage of.

I'm leaning towards NYU right now, and am really looking forward to going to school there.

jB!:)

Nova is way cheaper!

Not to mention you have many more options that us still in limboland aka the wonderful waitlist. Man, I sure hope there are many more available seats. Keep up the faith guys!

Speeddater

I go to Nova for undergrad and besides the humidity and heat, I realy like it. It's a really nice campus, and it feels safe. I don't know much about NYU, but I know i'll be applying to Nova...I know that doesn't help much but that's my two cents...good luck

OM, can't even believe the people here. The tuition difference does not come out to be as much as you think. Since Ft Lauderdale is one of the most expensive areas in the states. However, education at NYU is by far better. It is without a doubt where the future of dentistry is. The new dean, the state of the art facilities, 4th in research (NIH rankings), the largest patiet pool, and many more things make this school a leader in dentistry.

At Nova however,... a school with no history, a paranoid administration that makes sure you digitally sign in everytime you enter the class (that's how they take roll)...

Expenses aside, NYU by far. All of the reasons stated above + plastinized anatomy (dissecting cadavers is a big WASTE of time), all books available electronically, and, most of all, the fact that it's in NYC and it's one of the largest schools in the nation, which means lotsa networking with fellow students and NYU alums and boundless opportunities. As a bonus also the name: The general population knows and recognizes NYU as a highly reputable institution but tons of people don't know about Nova.

OM, can't even believe the people here. The tuition difference does not come out to be as much as you think. Since Ft Lauderdale is one of the most expensive areas in the states. However, education at NYU is by far better. It is without a doubt where the future of dentistry is. The new dean, the state of the art facilities, 4th in research (NIH rankings), the largest patiet pool, and many more things make this school a leader in dentistry.

At Nova however,... a school with no history, a paranoid administration that makes sure you digitally sign in everytime you enter the class (that's how they take roll)...

It's actually in Davie...and do you actually live there? So how are you going to run around saying how expensive it is when you don't know first hand. Davie is a college town, it's not all that expensive, just to clarify any misunderstandings.

I live in South Florida and I would not describe Davie as a college town at all...a lot of the college kids who go to Nova do get apartments in Ft. Lauderdale A) because it is still close to campus B) because it is right next to the beach, and C) because it has all the clubs and bars to go to at night... so this definitely raises the cost of living there, but Ft. Laud is a great spot to be at

I love how people keep posting here how NYU is great bec it is such a large school and therefor there are many networking oportunities. A large school and a large class also has HUGE disadvantages. While there may be more networking opportunities than smaller schools, there are also 350 people fighting for those resources. It is a lot harder to come by individual attention if one needs it at NYU. The students there told us that it was very easy to get lost in everything and fall through the cracks. On the other hand, Nova is brand new, has a state of the art facility and professors who used to teach at top schools like Penn. Also, the rumors about students dropping out ARE true. Admissions committees love to lie.....not only NYU but other schools also. You have to speak to the students to find out the details about a school, not a professor or administrator......remember it is a business and they get paid when you come to their school. I personally have a cousin there who is on full scholarship and she tells everyone she knows to go to any other school unless they also receive a full scholarship. NYU used to be a decent place to go to dental school but it is not anymore. They are drastically trying to change this fact but they are not quite there yet. It still has a pretty crappy reputation despite what a few SDNers keep trying to say about it. ANYONE WHO HAD AN INTERVIEW THERE AND ACTUALLY SPOKE TO 5 OR 10 STUDENTS AT RANDOM (NOT 1 OR 2 WHO WERE ASSIGNED TO GIVE THE TOUR) WILL TELL YOU IT IS TERRIBLE AND THAT YOU SHOULD GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Of course, if you only get into NYU, you don't really have much of a choice and should therefore make the very best of it. If you are highly motivated then im sure you will become a great dentist and perhaps get into the specialty of your choice. But no one is going to be pushing you through when the times get tough at NYU...it is just too large of a class. Many other schools will push you and get you through. My 2 cents...

...A large school and a large class also has HUGE disadvantages. While there may be more networking opportunities than smaller schools, there are also 350 people fighting for those resources...

I would like to know what 'resources' are you're talking about. NYU is fully equipped to handle the large student body and there is no fighting for 'resources'.

...It is a lot harder to come by individual attention if one needs it at NYU. The students there told us that it was very easy to get lost in everything and fall through the cracks.

Give me a break, is the rigours of dental school so bad that one needs individual hand holding? I highly doubt it is 'very easy to get lost in everything' as you so well put it. NYU has a high prof-student ratio, enough said.

...On the other hand, Nova is brand new, has a state of the art facility and professors who used to teach at top schools like Penn.

"...like Penn." Why? Because you're going there? haha. Common, surely you don't think brand new means better. You don't think NYU has state-of-the-art facilities? You must have been asleep during the tour.

...NYU used to be a decent place to go to dental school but it is not anymore. They are drastically trying to change this fact but they are not quite there yet. It still has a pretty crappy reputation despite what a few SDNers keep trying to say about it.

Wrong. If anything it's the other way around. I think I've proved my point enough already. I'd like to know if you are harping on how bad NYU is, why did you even bother to applying to the school? If your answer is because it's a safety school, drop a line in the NYU waitlist thread will you?

I live in South Florida and I would not describe Davie as a college town at all...a lot of the college kids who go to Nova do get apartments in Ft. Lauderdale A) because it is still close to campus B) because it is right next to the beach, and C) because it has all the clubs and bars to go to at night... so this definitely raises the cost of living there, but Ft. Laud is a great spot to be at

comparing it to the rest of south florida, I would say it's about as college town as you're going to get...

Ok, I have to answer to a few of the comments made here. Nova dental students told me that they pay about 15-18k a year for housing which is exactly how much NYU lets you borrow for housing. Secondly, why would people recant obvious evidence such as the technology listed above by me or DDSY only to fantasize something non-tangible about Nova such as being more personal. If Nova is truly personal, why would you have to digitally sign in as a means to take roll. The ultimate decision is yours but to recap, NYU has:
1. Vital source
2. Plastinized anatomy
3. One of the largest patient/student ratios among schools
4. New York City
5. Commonly ranked as 4th or 5th by NIH (a governmental institute, not a predent)
6. The new dean (formerly dean of UCSF)
7. The largest alumni society
8. Oh, and as a negative the slightly higher tuition 49k rather than 37k at Nova, if I am not mistaken