NOVA or NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canine777

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I just need an opinion what you will do if you get accepted into Nova and NYU and being a CA resident. I am really impressed with NYU facilities at the interview but the cost of living will be cheaper at Nova. What do you think? Appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU is a better school, Question is can you handle living in New York City?

Nova has the South Florida climate which has two seasons - hot and hotter. Today it was in the 80's I believe.

If the cost difference isn't significant I would say NYU hands down, if the cost is significant then go to NOVA because in the end you will be a dentist either way. Also while you may have a certain feel for each school after interviewing there remember that d-school will be what we make it out to be. If we go in and try to have a good time with our classmates then life will be bearable, but if we go in looking to cut each other down its going to suck. Even through the hardest times you can find good people almost anywhere.

NYU has a longer-standing program, stronger reputation, and has a little more to offer as a school (great facilities, renown faculty, outreach programs, etc.). Nova is still a good school though and a bit less expensive. I think you need to factor in more about what kind of city/climate you want to live in for the next 4 years than which school is "better".

Thank you guys for all your suggestions!

They are so different...south FL is hot and humid at least 11 months out of the year, whereas NYC gets actual seasons and SNOW. Then again, you get the beautiful beaches down in Ft. Lauderdale. NYC is fast-paced, fun, and ridiculouslyyyyy expensive. The cost difference is pretty big...Ft. Lauderdale you could probably find a decent 1 bed apartment for $800-900....whereas in NYC, you'll have a hard time finding a 1 bed for less than 1200 bucks (and its probably half the size too). But like the others have said, NYU has a better reputation and living in such a huge city would be SO MUCH FUN. It's really up to you...do you like constant [warm] climate, or variable climate? Can you handle the NY lifestyle (and the extra costs)? Ask yourself these kind of questions to figure it out.

I wish NYU would share their patient pool with other schools.

The housing cost indicated below is a difference of 300-400 a month. It really isn't that big of a difference considering each school has broken the 300k amount!

What are your pros/cons of each school?

Best of luck!

i like both cities. And I like NYU for it's facilities and clinical experiences (lots of patients). I like nova for it's cheaper cost of living, but I heard Nova doesn't have enough faculty members and patients. HOw do you like Nova so far?

I wish NYU would share their patient pool with other schools.

The housing cost indicated below is a difference of 300-400 a month. It really isn't that big of a difference considering each school has broken the 300k amount!

What are your pros/cons of each school?

Best of luck!