Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Nova Physics Passages

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by siberianhusky88, Jun 12, 2008.

1. siberianhusky88

siberianhusky88 2+ Year Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Hey everyone, I always hear how awesome Nova physics is. My question is, how similar are the mcat questions to the Nova physics passage questions. I find that I can do the practice problems just fine, but really struggle on the passage questions.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SN2ed

SN2ed Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Jun 27, 2007
    From what I've read on here, Nova physics's problems are not like the real MCAT's physics problems. Apparently, they're very different. However, they're supposed to be good at the start to help you gain a better understanding of the material. I bet they probably gave you tough problems intentionally because people usually remember the problems they miss more than the ones they get right.
  4. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!! Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2005
    working on my tan......
    The way I heard it on here once and since I have all the books I can verify.

NOVA is to get you introduced to Physics, but review books like berk review or princeton help you prepare more for the MCAT style.

I am finding the berk review practice passages quiet a challenge, lol!!
  5. Rdavido

Rdavido ASA Member 7+ Year Member

May 28, 2008
    This is depressing considering from what I've read is that NOVA is the way to go. I guess I should just get TBR and be done with it.
  6. Esteban

Esteban Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I like NOVA for understanding, TBR for actual MCAT-like practice. I think that's the consensus on the forums...

7. Rdavido

Rdavido ASA Member 7+ Year Member

May 28, 2008
    Between KAPs High Yield Problem Solving, EK Phys 1001, Nova, and the practice exams, hopefully I'll be good off.
  8. sirius08

sirius08 10+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2008
    It's true that Nova's passages aren't much like the real MCAT passages, but I used the book to master the concepts - which they're very good for. Once I had the concepts down, I was much more prepared for the test-like passages.