NOVA POP Program info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kln16

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me their personal experience with this? Or if you know someone who attended this route and what they thought of it? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’d also like to hear if anyone’s had any experiences they would like to share. I’d like to know more information also.

Last edited:
Did you guys get invited to interview yesterday?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I did too! I’m also looking for more info on it lol

I just did today and he responded within the hour. Everything will be spend out at the end of February in regards the iteniary ,parking and all other information.
Did you guys already email the reservation form back to Juan? if so, has he responded?

I just did today and he responded within the hour. Everything will be spend out at the end of February in regards the iteniary ,parking and all other information.
Just got it too, thanks!

I got the e-mail to! I've been doing so much research on this program and have talked to people who have done it or known people who have. So its a one year program to test if you are able to handle the course load of being a real OD1. You will have to take some OD1 courses and some undergrad courses. You have to maintain a 80 average in each course in order to become an OD1 the following year (you automatically become an OD1 no need for other testing). If you get a 90%+ in any course, you dont have to repeat it the following year.
See you all next month at the interview!!

Reactions: 2 users
I got the e-mail to! I've been doing so much research on this program and have talked to people who have done it or known people who have. So its a one year program to test if you are able to handle the course load of being a real OD1. You will have to take some OD1 courses and some undergrad courses. You have to maintain a 80 average in each course in order to become an OD1 the following year (you automatically become an OD1 no need for other testing). If you get a 90%+ in any course, you dont have to repeat it the following year.
See you all next month at the interview!!
Thank you for your post! I’m super nervous for this interview! Do you know how many spots they have for the program?

Thank you for your post! I’m super nervous for this interview! Do you know how many spots they have for the program?
Im thinking between 15-24 spots. Ive heard from some people that is was 15 but also from some who have told me they increased it to around 20-24

Im thinking between 15-24 spots. Ive heard from some people that is was 15 but also from some who have told me they increased it to around 20-24
Do you know how many people interview?

Personally, I didn’t choose to go this route because I was skeptical. When I looked into it a couple years ago, the minimum grade required was a B. Meaning an 83% or higher in the classes, not an 80% (B-). They could have changed it from when I was looking at it though, but still something to consider because these are upper level courses. This may be a hard truth, but this means it may be difficult for some students. Chances are, if someone has to do this POP program, it’s because their gpa/oat was not stellar to begin with. And if you don’t get the necessary B in the course, they kick you out. In that scenario of being kicked out, you’d then be ANOTHER year behind.
Also, when I had asked about the program in the past and the student success rate, there were 15 students in the program, and 10 went on (passed all classes) and were initiated into the next year at nova’s OD1 program the next year. That’s only a 66% pass rate, not great odds in my opinion. It was something I didn’t feel like gambling with. So I went into another program that was a traditional 4 year OD school.
All in all you have to weigh all of your options and do what’s best for you. Personally, I’d exhaust all of your options before choosing the POP, and only enrol in POP if I had zero other options, because I just didn’t agree with the risks associated.

Reactions: 4 users
hi guys! Im interested in applying to NOVA next cycle! I was wondering do you have to apply to the POP program separely from OPTOMCAS? and also was wondering if you guys would be willing to share your stats?

hi guys! Im interested in applying to NOVA next cycle! I was wondering do you have to apply to the POP program separely from OPTOMCAS? and also was wondering if you guys would be willing to share your stats?

Hi!
Honestly, I’m not sure. I believe you probably do because OptomCAS is for optometry school. This program is basically a post-bac and you’re in it prior to starting optometry school.

You do not have to apply separate. I just got an email about an interview for the POP program after I applied to the regular program.

Did anyone receive any additional information from Nova, like the school map and schedule for the day?

How was the interview? Do you mind sharing what questions you were asked? and If you decided to go that route?
You do not have to apply separate. I just got an email about an interview for the POP program after I applied to the regular program.

I spoke with a representative about this and there's only 1 spot left if you're still considering this route.

One spot left? Last day to register for interview is this Friday and interviews start the 18th.
I'm not sure about that, I was just told that there's only 1 spot left for that program by a representative at NOVA. Maybe they're getting a waitlist ready just in case.